Slightly different Steering Problem on 2007 G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Slightly different Steering Problem on 2007 G6

I have a base model 2007 G6 V6. It has approximately 72000 miles on it. A little while ago I started noticing grinding and vibration when steering. It has gotten a lot worse. The noise is very loud and seems to be purely at the front end. The power steering fluid is fine. The brakes were changed not that long ago. I have never had any locking up issues like I have read about in the 05s. I am thinking possibly rack and pinion but I dont want to go replacing a bunch of stuff if it isnt gonna fix it! It does need new tires and the alignment is terrible but this problem is only when steering!Wondering if anyone else had this problem or has ideas?
As a side note it is also idling really rough and seems to be misfiring, as well as a recent addition of transmission slipping somewhat. Ack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM

89Ashes,

I’m sorry you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. In regards to the steering noise, the power steering system may need to be bled. Misfires and/or rough idle may be valve related. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM

In the continuing saga that is my G6 GT (71000 miles), I just had the rack replaced under warranty. The dealer heard a bunch of squeaking and felt stiffness in the steering. The steering has always been that way for me in this car so I thought it was normal. Diagnosis was bad rack and pinion. Not sure why they didn't notice a month or so ago when they did the intermediate shaft, but such is life.

Once i got the car back, the difference was amazing. Much lighter steering but still on point with lots of road feel. It felt like a totally different car. I was over steering at first because it was so much easier to drive. I have gotten used to it now though.

Price at dealer, Parts $650 ($550 after core return) Labor $325. Yes, nearly a grand. I am sure I am on the warranty company's s**t list. Unless your car is covered, hope it isn't the rack!

On a side note, they gave me a 2012 LaCrosse with eco boost for two days. I hate to admit this, but that car is amazing. Not so much sporty, but a very nice highway cruiser.

Last edited by Propwash; 11-30-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 AM

2007 pontiac g6 steering wheel noise

My mom has a 2007 g6 it has only 15,600 miles on it. Now we are hearing a slight thump noise when turning the wheel. It was heard a little since we have the car, but didnt think anything of it. Mentioned it to dealer once, but did not see a problem. The car runs great and there are no problems otherwise. What is this noise and is it a safety problem waiting to happen? Have seen complaints online that people have tried to fix it and it comes back. Shouldn't here be a recall on this?? Please advise. Please do not drink and drive!:

Last edited by prsantilli; 12-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM

prsantilli,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This issue may be related to a slip/stick condition between the inner and outer components of the intermediate shaft. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They should be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM
G6breez2

Fix my g6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
In the continuing saga that is my G6 GT (71000 miles), I just had the rack replaced under warranty. The dealer heard a bunch of squeaking and felt stiffness in the steering. The steering has always been that way for me in this car so I thought it was normal. Diagnosis was bad rack and pinion. Not sure why they didn't notice a month or so ago when they did the intermediate shaft, but such is life.

Once i got the car back, the difference was amazing. Much lighter steering but still on point with lots of road feel. It felt like a totally different car. I was over steering at first because it was so much easier to drive. I have gotten used to it now though.

Price at dealer, Parts $650 ($550 after core return) Labor $325. Yes, nearly a grand. I am sure I am on the warranty company's s**t list. Unless your car is covered, hope it isn't the rack!

On a side note, they gave me a 2012 LaCrosse with eco boost for two days. I hate to admit this, but that car is amazing. Not so much sporty, but a very nice highway cruiser.
Have u had power steering problems or know of any one who has I have the 4cylinder mines has no resivior for fluid electronic pump on steering Collum me and wife share car for work, please give me any info it's all badd right now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM
G6breez2

Can u give me any info on g4 4cylinder power steering issues
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waram brooks View Post
Can u give me any info on g4 4cylinder power steering issues
What year is your car? Some G6's with electronic steering have a recall. What kind of problems are you experiencing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in