URGENT: 2005 G6 Power Steering moving by itself/rattle/lock up - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Exclamation URGENT: 2005 G6 Power Steering moving by itself/rattle/lock up

Currently my steering wheel is moving by itself and doing crazy things. I'll notice it when driving straight, the steering wheel will keep pushing right and left. I'll also notice it when coming back from making a full turn, it will feel like it is pushing me back the opposite direction. The steering wheel also sometimes moves by itself, when it is in park? Keep in mind I have brand new tires and it was recently balanced and aligned..

Also a few times it stalled and the steering wheel locked up, followed by the "Power Steering" message displaying on the radio, along with wrench icon on the dash. Luckily this only happened while driving slowly..

Is this the issue that everyone else is having? It seems like it could potentially be very dangerous

Thanks for your time,
Chip

Chip
2005 G6 GT

Last edited by Chipmb2985; 11-19-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Update

Update:

My car now consistently looses power steering. I have to restart the car 5+ times and it will still loose power steering when driving.

In case anyone experiences what was in my orginal post, beware that it's the early stages of the lockup issue.

Looks like I'll be building some arm muscles .

Chip
2005 G6 GT

Last edited by Chipmb2985; 11-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Hi Chip,

I just sent you an email response with some information that may be useful to you. Please check your email.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Sounds like a torque sensor problem. The sensor and motor assembly is one piece. I wonder if its shorting out or something and making it go crazy.
Are the wheels turning with the steering wheel when its moving on its own? If so then there's probably nothing wrong with the rack or how its mounted.
You probably need a new sensor/motor unit. I think autozone actually carries this now, but I don't think its something you want to cheap out on.
Check with a dealer or gm customer service. Your vin may be covered for the repair.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Sounds like a torque sensor problem. The sensor and motor assembly is one piece. I wonder if its shorting out or something and making it go crazy.
Are the wheels turning with the steering wheel when its moving on its own? If so then there's probably nothing wrong with the rack or how its mounted.
You probably need a new sensor/motor unit. I think autozone actually carries this now, but I don't think its something you want to cheap out on.
Check with a dealer or gm customer service. Your vin may be covered for the repair.
I'm not sure if the wheel actually moves. I don't think it does. When it does this it feels really loose. Like if I drive straight and don't touch the steering wheel you'll hear it rattle and it move right to left. Looks like it shakes almost but sometimes you feel force.

They are running a diagnosis test tomorrow morning to see if anything is covered. The power steering of course hasn't failed for two days now, so I hope they can scan recent codes that popped up.

Chip
2005 G6 GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
When I took it in they actually said it's probably the torque sensor like you mentioned. I'll find out for sure today.

Chip
2005 G6 GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Update:

They are refusing to cover it, and it's going to be a $700 job. Details to follow when I pick it up...

Chip
2005 G6 GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Just an update, for my issue they replaced the Steering Column.

Chip
2005 G6 GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Update part 3:

My dealer ended up refunding my money. They said it should have been covered. GM rocks. bye

Chip
2005 G6 GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

So it was the torque sensor assembly, and they did it at no charge?
How it should be!
Too bad it wasn't a smooth process, darn dealers!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Chipper T

Yeah it was the Torque sensor assembly. Steering was a nightmare but now it's great.

Stealerships... always living up to their name, but at least it worked out.

Chip
2005 G6 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in