Steering Solution ??? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Steering Solution ???

2005 Pontiac G6 GT getting fixed at the dealers for steering lockup issue. They told me they are replacing the control arms. Anyone else have this repair done and did it work??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Dusty

I'm curious, did your Dealer tell you there was a TSB for the steering lock-up issue? Are they replacing the control arms under warranty? I'm asking because I've read that others have had steering lock-up problems and I'm curious as to what years this might affect. Thanks for the POST.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I believe its for 05-06 pontiac g6s. The TSB is 05-02-32-001C and 05-23-20-01C. The part number is 22730776 and 22730775. So far so good, it isn't locked up but it feels a little loose. Guess I have to get used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleimage22 View Post
2005 Pontiac G6 GT getting fixed at the dealers for steering lockup issue. They told me they are replacing the control arms. Anyone else have this repair done and did it work??
i can guarantee you that steering lock up has nothing to do with control arms ... i have an 05 g6 ... it's the electric power steering ... they probably replaced the steering coumn ... or the EPS motor

what were those part numbers for? what are those parts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Those part numbers are for the control arms. I went to gmpartsdirect and punched in those numbers,thats what came up, the left/right control arms.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM

trust me on this ... control arms are the metal pieces that hold the wheels from going in and out ... and if they're bent they can shift the wheel left or right ... and if your car is pulling that would be the only reason for them to replace them ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

They def. installed new control arms. My car pulled left before the installation and pulls right just a little bit but its better. Also my steering wheel doesn't lock up like it did. It still is tough to turn for like 2 seconds when I turn the car on when it is extremely cold but I guess that is normal. So the control arms def. helped for now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Control Arms

The control arms on most front drive gm vehicles have the ball joints riveted to the arms. in order to replace the ball joints, the arms must be replaced as a unit. older cars have their ball joints bolted on which can shear off in an accident. (ball joints attach the steering knuckle to the control arm and allow the wheels to turn and the suspension to travel up and down freely)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in