Power Steering Failure - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Failure

So my wife and I are out driving today with our one year old baby in our 05 G6 and the power steerings stops working ON THE INTERSTATE. Stopped, turned the engine off, restarted and it worked again. As we're on the off ramp, it goes out again. The yellow wrench light comes on the the radio says "Power steering". Is this a known issue with the G6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:10 PM

mine used to go out during parking and things like that when it was cold out
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Former G6 Guy

Send a message via AIM to bigbengt67
Yikes, this doesn't look for GM's new electric power steering. Mine was a little slow during parking lot type driving in the winter, but now that its warmed up it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 AM

If you havn't already, consult your dealer IMMEDIATLY, as this is not something you should let linger. GM needs to be aware that this is an issue. Scary stuff indeed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Another raised hand for failed steering during the winter months.

The worst part is that you can't turn the wheel at all... I could see it going into manually steering mode if there is a problem... but the way it goes out is pretty serious. I can't imagine how you guys felt!!!! Let us know the outcome.. I will be limiting my out of town driving (funny..going out of town was the very reason I bought this car)

I recently heard of a G6 here in town that had something in the rear snap and the tire dropped into the wheel well on their way to St louis last week. Im not really enjoying my new car experience.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM

GM is well aware of this problem, and is doing nothing about it. Everyone must contact National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to report all issues with power steering on G6's. Partial 2005 recall for same problem. GM does not issue recalls, NHTSA does once enogh problems are reported. My power steering assist motor would fail intermittantly and unexpectedly with only 16,000 miles. GM's answer was $825 replacement motor. After a week of phone calls, dealer installed replacement assist motor with new one for $225 labor only charge. PLEASE contact NHTSA to report all steering problems with G6 series.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrunner_pei View Post
If you havn't already, consult your dealer IMMEDIATLY, as this is not something you should let linger. GM needs to be aware that this is an issue. Scary stuff indeed.
Please see my reply on your forum. GM Is aware of this problem, and doing nothing. This needs to be reported to NHTSA, since they issue recalls, NOT GM, based on numbers of reported incedants.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
MikeAAA, I'm sure this has been addressed in as a sticky. I'm positive that GM has rectified the situation because I personally have had my 06 G6 steering replaced by a "extended warranty issued by GM for steering components." Note, the 2006 does not have any warranty otherwise.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Abyssul, thanks for update. 2006 certainly doesn't have any warranty. I'm glad yours was fixed under an extended warranty issued by GM. Mine wasn't. Mine was only fixed with no a charge part, $225 labor fee, after one week of constant phone calls to GM customer service by me. No mention of any extended warranty on steering components at all from GM. Only extended warranty on file for my G6 was extended catalytic converter coverage. And warranty on replacement electric power assist motor is 12 months/12,000 miles. And not sure what you mean by "addresssed in a sticky." Thanks again. And please report all steering problems with G6 to NHTSA.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Thumbs down Power Steering Failure

I will have to disagree with Abyssul's statement that GM has rectified this situation because they most certainly have not. In December 2008 I lost power steering, right before getting on the highway to go to work, and took my car to the nearest dealer. At that time they replaced the entire steering column and re-programmed the module at a cost to me of over $600.00. On 2/15 just 3 days ago my power steering failed again! Same error codes, same parts failure, same module failure. If this situation was "fixed" I would not be posting this blog. The cost this time over $1,400.00! instead of reprogramming the faulty module they replaced it. I guess you can only reprogram something once. Just this past summer I received a letter from Pontiac admitting they have a problem with their electronic power steering and upon review they would reimburse me for the first failure. Great, standing behind your product like all companies should do, however, for this 2nd failure I am pulling teeth to try to get re-imbursed. I will most certainly report this to NHTSA and any one who will listen including the NY State Attorney General and every media outlet available. After this car I will never buy a GM product again. Oh, did I mention the engine blew up 3 miles before the warranty was up? After years of being a GM customer, my past 3 cars were GM, I guess I will be going to Honda.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Hey every car manufacturer has a few bad eggs in the bunch. I myself have had the power steering failure and the dealership took care of it all at no expense to me. I have a few friends that have G6's that love them and have no problems and I know a few people who've had them and had nothing but problems. Thats just the way things work. Some are good some are bad. You'll never find a car manufacturer that doesn't have a flawed car from time to time
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Hi Big Daddy,

Well my egg is stinking to high heaven! If the dealership or GM themselves would have taken care of this issue there would be no problem but I'm out over $1,400.00 for a problem where GM knows there is an issue. On my "egg" the power steering system has failed twice. Since my car has over 100,000 miles they dont want to know nothing even though the "new" power steering system has only about 50,000 miles on it. It's almost like they dont expect their cars to go over 100,000 miles. I was dealing with their customer service people and they could care less, as a matter of fact the so called district manager was obnoxious and short. I contacted several news stations in the NY area and channel 4 was very interested. I sent them all the information and hopefully they are going to do a story. I won't bore you with all the other venue's I contacted. The most important thing everyone should do about this issue is report it to NHTSA. It's very easy to do just have your VIN # available. The telephone number is in the front of your phone book under national highway and traffic safety admin. or go to safercar.gov.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM

I received a letter from GM saying that they are recalling all 2005 Pontiac G6 for faulty power steering issues.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Exactly what I've come to expect from GM..

So, I just got off the phone with a gentleman names Liano from the GM Executive offices customer service department concerning the 2nd failure of my power steering system. While they admit this is a defect in their manufacturing they can do nothing for me as the car has over 100,000 miles. The steering system they supposedly fixed has only 50,000 miles on it but that doesnt seem to matter. If you are having a problem the best thing you can do is report it to NHTSA. It is very easy to do by web or phone. Do not trust GM to do the right thing, (this is why they almost went bankrupt-unable to compete quality wise or customer service wise.). Also, I found that writing your Senator or Congressman may also be a good idea. Senator Charles Schumer's office has asked me to keep them apprised as to what happens as they consider this a safety issue and I cant wait to pass on the info. I have also found the internet and social media to be a fantastic tool. With it I have changed quite a few minds about buying a GM car and will continue to do so even after I purchase my new Honda.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Forgot

Where's my head! I forgot the most important thing. Contact NBC channel 4 via their website; their have a story section and tell them your concerns about GM's power steering issues. Following is an excerpt from an email I received back from them. I have removed the reporters private email and phone # but when he gets back to you he will provide all that.

Hi Karen,

Your concern about the recurring power steering problem sounds dreadfully serious and it warrants a story. Would you be willing to do an interview with us?

Is your car fixed now?

Get back to me as soon as you can with details. I'd like to confront GM with this as soon as I've got a clearer picture of what's going on.

You can contact me by phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in