Car totaled or can it be fixed - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Car totaled or can it be fixed

Hit a curb a little but on a bad angle say possible break lines broken oil pan and axle can this be saved in anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_111045_1459630742425.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	11186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160402_111024_1459630781754.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	11194  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I guess it depends on what all has to be changed out, if its just the axle and oil pan, no problem. even add the lower control arm, and all your other front suspension components and i'd think it would definitely be worth it.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboy1221 View Post
Hit a curb a little but on a bad angle say possible break lines broken oil pan and axle can this be saved in anyway?
Two of my kids have run cars up on curbs and caused steering and suspension damage. Both were GM w-bodies, which have some similarity to the G6 (Epsilon platform). In one case (99 Lumina), we needed a sub frame from the junk yard, an inner tie rod, a strut mount and a wheel. The sub frame included control arms so I didn't need to purchase one separately. The other car (2002 Impala) needed two wheels, a control arm and a strut mount. I think we ultimately replaced the rack as well, altho that may not have been related.

Your oil pan (tran pan?) is broken, so you have more than just suspension/steering damage to consider. I'd be concerned about damage to the bottom end of the motor, either due to impact, or due to the motor still turning when the oil was drained.

If the motor and transmission are OK, the other stuff is within reach for many DIY'ers. So maybe you can get running again.

Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 PM

I think it really depends on how bad the undercarriage has been hit when you mounted the curb. Best to get your car to a proper mechanic and get it checked out. You don't want to be thinking about driving with something improperly fixed anyway. As long as you've got a good comprehensive car insurance plan or a good extended warranty, you might be able to sneak in a bit of a cash back from that I hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in