2008 Pontiac G6 4 Cylinder Power Steering Assist Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down 2008 Pontiac G6 4 Cylinder Power Steering Assist Issue

This post is in regards to the electrical power steering control module/motor.

2008 Pontiac G6
4 Cylinder
Approximately 93,000 Miles

On December 27th I was driving down the highway at about 68mph. I began passing a car, although I attempted to straighten the car out in the passing lane, it decided it really wanted to continue towards the median, until I really grabbed a hold of the wheel and pulled it right. The power steering was gone, and on my indicator it showed "Power Steering." I immediately pulled off onto the side of the road, turned the car off, waited about 10 seconds and restarted it. Power steering was back and indicator was gone. I finished the drive to work that morning, drove home that evening and had no issues. The next day on the way to work at around the same speed, I had the same issue. Pulled over, turned it off, started it back up, power steering was back and drove to work. It began to happen more and more frequently, and right now it's basically happening as soon as I start the car up.

I did a little reading and found two areas of concern:

1. Recall N140115 - "In the affected vehicles, there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering (EPS) assist that could occur at any time while driving. Should that occur, greater driver effort would be required to steer the vehicle at low speeds, increasing the risk of a crash." There are 4 bulletins regarding this recall, but this is the one that applied to me. All information can be found here: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ms-040114.html

The part of that recall that should cover my car is #14118 - "covers model year 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura built from October 1, 2007, through January 31, 2008. Dealers will replace the EPS motor controller unit."

The problem with this is my car was manufactured August of 2007. I will cover more after this...

2. Special Coverage #15365 - This special coverage was basically an extended warranty for the torque sensor. If the driver experienced sudden loss of power steering, dealership was to change out this part at no cost. However, the problem is that the special coverage period was 10 years or 150,000 miles. Unfortunately mine expired in July even with 93k miles.

If you're still reading, you're probably waiting to see what I've done...

I took the car in and had them take a look at it, and was quoted $756 to replace the power steering control module/motor, the part that would be covered in the recall had my car been manufactured after October 1st, 2007 instead of August...

I just got off the phone with Pontiac after a lengthy discussion. My main question to myself was, "What is the difference between my car, which was manufactured in August, and the cars manufactured after October 1st..." Why are they covered under the warranty, and mine is not? The question I posed to them was, "Is my part, which is not covered under the recall, the same part that was put in the cars after October 1st, which are covered under the recall?" I was told yes, the part was the same part, however they were manufactured at 2 different plants. I asked her if the part, or the car was manufactured at 2 different plants, and she said "both." If it is the same part, the same specifications should apply to it no matter where it is produced, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter where it was produced... but you know what they say about opinions... I asked her if she could tell me exactly where the 2 different parts are produced, and where my car was manufactured vs. the covered cars. She didn't have that information and said my dealership should be able to help me. I then asked her to escalate the call, and let me speak with someone who can give me that information. I was given a case number, and told that a senior something-or-other would get back to me within 2 days.

I'm basically posting here so that others with this issue can be informed, and also to see if anyone has had any luck getting GM to cover the recall, even though their car wasn't manufactured on the specific dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:43 PM

All I can add is to continue to be polite but insistent. I had a known issue with my Buick (stretched timing chain - engine removal to replace). The recall replaced the timing chain if it was faulty and the oil change interval if not. My argument was that they had simply extended the duration before the problem would occur so that it was more likely that it would be out of warranty and therefore the customers problem. After a number of calls and getting the case number I eventually got to someone that offered that GM would cover half the cost. This made the dealership replacement a fair bit cheaper than other options. Not perfect, but still better than giving up.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in