New steering lockup issue 12/09/09 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

New steering lockup issue 12/09/09

This happened to my 2005 G6 yesterday while driving at about 25 mph and making a right hand turn. The steering locked completely and put me into oncoming traffic. There was no power steering error at first. The power steering did not just go out, there was no way to turn the wheel. The wheel actually popped then jerked back to the left. After being flipped off by a guy driving a truck that came about a foot from hitting me, I put the car in reverse and everything was good...for about a block. The same problem happened, no matter what way I turned, with a Power Steering error that flashed for 2 seconds then went away.

Early this morning I took the car to the dealer, which said there was a bad steering column. The bill came to $600, as the car is no longer under warranty. I filed a complaint to the NHTSA and Pontiac, with no help so far.

Tomorrow I will be filing a complaint through the BBB, and a regional manager from Pontiac is supposed to call me. Apparantly there is an extended warranty coverage of 7 years or 70,000 miles on the steering columns. My car has 93,000 on it.

Now for some interesting stuff. The dealer had several steering columns in stock, which I find kind of funny, as they are not a part like brakes or rotors. I have also found reading many websites where the columns were replaced on others G6's. From what I asked the parts guy at the dealer, its the same part number that came out of the car as well.

So what I learned today is GM knows of a defect in the column, so they replaced mine, for $600, with the exact same column which will probably have the exact same defect. I feel really comfortable with this situation. On the bright side, this POS probably wont last another 93,000 miles, so maybe the steering issue wont show back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii Send a message via MSN to markpetersonii
Yikes! Dangerous! I'm glad it was fixed and yeah, it's a problem in the G6 for some reason!

2003 Mercedes Benz E500 Sport - 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

So Pontiac called back today and offered a $500 coupon on the purchase of a new vehicle from a GM dealer. Unbelievable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
I'm glad I have the old fashioned hydraulic steering.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb71 View Post
So Pontiac called back today and offered a $500 coupon on the purchase of a new vehicle from a GM dealer. Unbelievable...
Yea I am having my steering column replaced tomorrow, $600 bucks but not at the dealer. I took all the same steps you have and Pontiac told me the same bullshit that If I take it to the dealer they "may" assist me in the repair...yea to GM. Thanks for posting about how they offered you a coupon for 500 bucks towards a new car, it was that response from them in your situation that made me refuse there BS. I told the guy he is full of shit because all I am going to get is some BS coupon for the new car which I wont be needing after this car. I'm pissed off about the whole situation because they know there is a safety hazard, they know someone may die because of this and wont step up to the plate and do the right thing by the taxpayers that bailed them out. My wife was driving the car when the steering went out and almost crashed into a tree.

2006 GTP 3900v6-Tuned for more fun!
2006 GT 3500v6-The old man
2006 GTO LS2
1997 GP GTP L67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in