GM recalling steering for Cobalts, Pursuits, G5 and G4's? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

GM recalling steering for Cobalts, Pursuits, G5 and G4's?

I woke up this morning and turned on the news and what really caught my attention was when I heard them talking about a GM steering recall for Pontiac: Cobalt, Pursuit, the G5 and the (G4 in Mexico).... but nothing for the G6?!?! Are you F'ing serious? Anyone know if JTEKT makes the G6's steering as well?

I don't even know what to say but General Motors.
Who wants to jump on the band wagon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 PM

I hear ya they suck...I spent $700 to get the power steering fixed, its like a slap in the face for them to just do recalls on the compact cars.

2006 GTP 3900v6-Tuned for more fun!
2006 GT 3500v6-The old man
2006 GTO LS2
1997 GP GTP L67
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM

It is crazy that others G6 owners are having the same problems with the power steering, but they won't recall it. I would rather drive around in something like a tank that eats gas then drive a G6 that the power steering is mess up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
My car just gave me a Power Steering message on the DIC the other day but my warranty company is refusing to pay for it. I have to call them on Monday to find out why. I think that GM should just man up and fix all the cars that have the issue instead of being picky. I guess they really don't care much about Pontiac since they killed the brand.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM

What really made me mad was I called customer service 3 weeks ago about the recall. My G6 locked up about 2 weeks before Christmas, at about 93,000 miles. What I was told on the phone was GM is closing my case, that the car had 93,000 miles on it when it happened and it is no longer GMs problem, it is my problem. If it had happened under warranty then it would be GMs problem. I told her on the phone I will NEVER buy another GM, and that was all I ever owned. I have already talked 2 friends out of buying new GMs, one bought a Ford and the other a Honda, and they were big GM fans as well. Ill do everything I can to let people know what happened to me and how it was handled, or not handled in GMs case.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
Resuscitation of old thread for a real reason.
I got in touch with GM about fixing my steering, which proved to be a total waste of my time. Finally I gave up on getting them to do anything.

It took a long time but I managed to get my extended warranty company to pay for the steering column replacement to fix the steering lockup issue.

Now that it's fixed the steering works as it should but is still pretty lifeless in regards to feel. Oh well.

All I know is that electric power steering needs a few more years of development before it'll be anywhere near as good as hydraulic.

I won't say that I won't ever buy a GM vehicle again. But I'll be damn sure to get a warranty that covers everything for as long as possible.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM

i know how u all feel, ur not alone. i get reminded every time i drive my car (G6)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm starting to hear the clunking sound in the steering wheel as the wheel turns in my car, and I recently learned about the power steering defects present in the 05/06 G6/Malibus.
This power steering motor is present in all Chevy Cobalts, and the 05/06 G6/Malibus.
I spoke to a service rep at a GM dealer, and she tried to tell me that these "defective" parts are not present on my G6. I find it very hard to beleive that to be the case considering GM went back to traditional power steering systems with the G6/Malibus after 2007, and furthermore. The Cobalts are getting a revised design in their power steering motors which tells me that the problem is due to a design flaw, NOT a few defective parts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 07:05 PM

power steering loss

I own a 2006 G6 and a 2008 G5.
The G6 has power steering loss. 52k miles.I priced the repair, way too much for me. you just learn to drive 'on guard' at all times. I recently received a letter from GM informing me that my car may experience this problem. If it is having this problem take it in to be fixed because they have extended the power steering warranty for 10yrs/100,000 miles!Thank God! BUT wait, the dealership says my G6 doesn't fall into this situation. They say my power steering is not the same as the one giving them trouble. Well, it gives me trouble! Doesn't that count? The letter clearly said "2006 G6". It is still at the dealership and now I have a GM complaint number that will be investigated by the local GM representative......
Please don't tell me I am going to have the same trouble with my G5!!!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 PM

I just got the letter in yesterday. They also sent a reimbursement form and I still have the repair receipt, so at least Ill get my 600 bucks back for the new steering column. Too bad the money is going towards a new PCM, the #2 cylinder isnt firing right and it came down to the injector or PCM. I replaced the injector 2 days ago and the problem is back. This car blows...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
07 Black GT Vert ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsabthom View Post
I own a 2006 G6 and a 2008 G5.
The G6 has power steering loss. 52k miles.I priced the repair, way too much for me. you just learn to drive 'on guard' at all times. I recently received a letter from GM informing me that my car may experience this problem. If it is having this problem take it in to be fixed because they have extended the power steering warranty for 10yrs/100,000 miles!Thank God! BUT wait, the dealership says my G6 doesn't fall into this situation. They say my power steering is not the same as the one giving them trouble. Well, it gives me trouble! Doesn't that count? The letter clearly said "2006 G6". It is still at the dealership and now I have a GM complaint number that will be investigated by the local GM representative......
Please don't tell me I am going to have the same trouble with my G5!!!!!
Do I understand the quoted post correctly that GM has extended the G6 power steering warranty to 10yrs/100k miles?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM

The letter states that the warranty is extended for 10yrs/100k miles on the power steering. Took the car to my dealer, of course, the first response was "this car does not have the power steering that is giving trouble." No freaking way. Called GM got me a case number, complained to my sales person at the dealership, and my serviceadvisor. If it isn't the same power steerng trouble then why is it doing the same thing the letter states?! Aftr a second look, my dealership replaced the power steering column and charged me nothing! The same day I picked the car up,my GM case rep called to tell me he was very sorry that GM would not be able to cover my car because I didn't have the same power steering. He could not tell me what kind of power steering I have but a mechanic told him I didn't have the bad one. I told him I figured he would say that and that I wanted this documented so that when I wreck the car because of this my insurance company could go after GM. I didn't tell him I already got the car back FIXED FOR FREE! Jackass.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
but you have an 06'....if im not mistaken you have the electric power steering.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM

You are correct! I do have the electronic power steering. But the GM rep says I do not based on my VIN #. So he was finished with my case! jackass. The dealership, however, looked AT the car instead of the VIN and guess what?!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in