Has anyone about wrecked their G6 because of steering??? - Pontiac G6 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 71
 
Angry Has anyone about wrecked their G6 because of steering???

Ok, Im am so aggravated with my G6. I loved my car when I bought it! Ive had it now for 8 months! And the past month things have been squeaking, breaking...and making me crazy!

The car is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership and I dont want it back until its fixed! Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and whats been wrong!

PROBLEM 1:

I noticed this when I was merging into interstate traffic at 70 mph...Im not really sure what my RPMs were when I heard it but it was this high pitched squeak as the car changed gears. You know the noise that cars with the turbo in them make (like the Jetta with turbo), it was similar to that. But we all know our G6s dont have turbo!!!! It makes that noise everytime the RPMs get up there.

PROBLEM 2: Shaking! I leave for work in the morning and my steering wheel shakes for the first 10 minutes of my 15 minute drive. You can see my coffee cup shaking, my Sirius Radio Receiver shaking...and also when im in the interstate theres a barely there shake that a new car should NOT have. Its definetly not a smooth ride

BIG PROBLEM 3: Steering! What steering? This isnt a constant problem, but its enough to scare the crap out of you! I went to make a left turn and the car kept going straight. The steering wheel was locked. It let go right at the last second and I about landed in a ditch! Then as I was backing out of my parking lot at my office i turned the wheel a bit and it locked again. This has happened about a dozen times in the past month. Luckily it hasnt caused me to wreck!

I received a recall in the mail a couple weeks ago for the harmonice balancer so could this have something to do with any of these problems Ive had or could the harmonic balancer be PROBLEM #4?

Also another annoying thing about my car is the rattle the sunroof shade makes. Is that even fixable?

Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and what had to be done! Thanks!
Carissa249 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Bob G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
 
Wow, I've never had any problem with shaking or steering or even the squeek. The squeek I think is the accessory belt slipping a bit, seems like I remember seeing an earlier post on that one. The harmonic balancer recall, amounts to them re-tightening the bolts, it will take 5 minutes to do once they get the car inside the garage bay. I'm thinking it is more of a precaution as the service manager told me mine was actually ok.
As far as the sunroof, do you have the single glass or the multi-panel type. Is your car an '05 or '06? The only noise I had with my single pane '05 was before they installed the air deflector. Perhaps yours isn't tightened down properly if you have the same as I do.
All in all I've been very satisfied with my G6. The only thing that had to be done so far was a rattle "somewhere behind the driver's seat" which ended up being a loose shock mount. Rarely have I bought a new car in its first year of production that it didn't have a few kinks to work out. Sad, but true.
Bob G is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Member
 
lrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 46
 
Good lord man, where did you buy your car?! Maybe your car was the 666th to be made. Trade it in before anything else gets worse.
lrish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 71
 
Ha! Youd think it was after all that crap thats went wrong in the last month. Ive only had it 8 months. Ill lose my butt if I turn it in now. Im going to take it in tomorrow and leave it! And Im not picking it up until EVERYTHING is fixed. The jerk at the dealership said he can look at it tomorrow but cant do anything with it until Monday. Wonderful!

Its a 2005 GT...there should not be this many problems regardless...especially something thats so dangerous. Imagine trying to make a simple left turn and your steering wheel wont move. Locked tight! What if I needed to make a quick decision to get out of the way of another vehicle? I dont quite think Id make it! Ridiculous! They are acting like its a problem that can wait 5 days!
Carissa249 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 532
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa249
Ok, Im am so aggravated with my G6. I loved my car when I bought it! Ive had it now for 8 months! And the past month things have been squeaking, breaking...and making me crazy!

The car is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership and I dont want it back until its fixed! Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and whats been wrong!

PROBLEM 1:

I noticed this when I was merging into interstate traffic at 70 mph...Im not really sure what my RPMs were when I heard it but it was this high pitched squeak as the car changed gears. You know the noise that cars with the turbo in them make (like the Jetta with turbo), it was similar to that. But we all know our G6s dont have turbo!!!! It makes that noise everytime the RPMs get up there.
Your belt needs replaced.. mine was doing it the second I got over 3,000 rpm all the way to 5,000rpm.

Quote:
PROBLEM 2: Shaking! I leave for work in the morning and my steering wheel shakes for the first 10 minutes of my 15 minute drive. You can see my coffee cup shaking, my Sirius Radio Receiver shaking...and also when im in the interstate theres a barely there shake that a new car should NOT have. Its definetly not a smooth ride
I am thinking out of balance tire. Not really sure..but the harmonic could cause this as well if yours is really loose. Get it checked ASAP!

Quote:
BIG PROBLEM 3: Steering! What steering? This isnt a constant problem, but its enough to scare the crap out of you! I went to make a left turn and the car kept going straight. The steering wheel was locked. It let go right at the last second and I about landed in a ditch! Then as I was backing out of my parking lot at my office i turned the wheel a bit and it locked again. This has happened about a dozen times in the past month. Luckily it hasnt caused me to wreck!
This one is going to end up killing someone Im afraid. I saw a post on GMINSIDENEWS where someone rolled their G6 after her steering locked on the interstate. Ive personally had it lock up multiple times ..but usually when its cold and I havnt been going more than 5mph (lucky for me). Keep telling the dealer about this!!!! I try to bring it up everytime I go in... they at least need to address the issue.

Quote:
I received a recall in the mail a couple weeks ago for the harmonice balancer so could this have something to do with any of these problems Ive had or could the harmonic balancer be PROBLEM #4?
If your harmonic is loose enough to cause the vibrations you mentioned about it can also cause major internal damage to the engine if you let it go too long. Get it repaired ASAP....

Quote:
Also another annoying thing about my car is the rattle the sunroof shade makes. Is that even fixable?

Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and what had to be done! Thanks!
My sunroof shade rattles, door locks rattle, the passenger door rattles (if I hit the top of the panel..it stops for a while)... the car has a creak coming from the front end over bumps, another nice rattle noise as well... and the doors seem to shift in their frames over uneven surfaces causes all kinds of strange noises.


Aside from that my 05 G6 is great.

Cliff notes: Get your car to the dealership ASAP!!!!!
S8ER99 is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
GTPGuy82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Age: 37
Posts: 488
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa249
Its a 2005 GT...there should not be this many problems
First-year model car. Of course you should expect problems.

Mike
GTPGuy82 is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:26 AM
6 speed sickness.
 
~niKKi~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Age: 40
Posts: 77
 
Send a message via AIM to ~niKKi~
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPGuy82
First-year model car. Of course you should expect problems.

Mike
werd.

'06 G6 GTP 6MT Sedan
::Redline Motorsport Member 013::
~niKKi~ is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Age: 42
Posts: 235
 
Carissa - Finally someone with as many problems as I have had, but most of them different!! I did have to have a belt replaced b/c it was loose and causing a rattle. That fixed it for a few weeks, now it rattles again. It has just now gotten cold where I'm at and I have noticed the steering to be stiffer than usual, but only when I first get in it and take off. If I let it warm up first, it's fine. I have luckily not had any problems with the sunroof. I do have to have a new door panel because mine is coming apart. I went down a bumpy driveway a while ago and just knew the car was going to fall apart from the way it sounded. Aside from that the car is beautiful!!

Mike is right it's a first year model for the G6 and we should all expect problems, but how long has Pontiac been making cars? Some problems with the G6 were also problems with the GA's. Can you say learn from your mistakes?

RP
Robyn P is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 532
 
Thats no lie!
S8ER99 is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
A two-G6 family!
 
ragingfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 169
 
Send a message via AIM to ragingfish Send a message via MSN to ragingfish Send a message via Yahoo to ragingfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn P
Mike is right it's a first year model for the G6 and we should all expect problems, but how long has Pontiac been making cars? Some problems with the G6 were also problems with the GA's. Can you say learn from your mistakes?
This isn't a new Grand Am. This is a COMPLETELY new car from the ground up. Anything that was wrong with the Grand Am, or "learned" from the Grand Am, cannot be applied here. Personally, this car is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other Pontiac I've owned in terms of perceived quality. I've only had my 06 GT coupe a week, but my dad has had his 05 GT sedan for a year. Only problem: panoramic roof rattles. Besides that, he LOVES the car and doesn't regret for a second his decision.

I think they did a damn fine job to start with.
ragingfish is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 532
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
This isn't a new Grand Am. This is a COMPLETELY new car from the ground up. Anything that was wrong with the Grand Am, or "learned" from the Grand Am, cannot be applied here. Personally, this car is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other Pontiac I've owned in terms of perceived quality. I've only had my 06 GT coupe a week, but my dad has had his 05 GT sedan for a year. Only problem: panoramic roof rattles. Besides that, he LOVES the car and doesn't regret for a second his decision.

I think they did a damn fine job to start with.
Thats the whole point. They knew coming in what demographic they were going after. They KNEW grand am owners were going to buy the G6 as replacement. So why wouldnt they make sure certain problems didn't exist? Some little things that go wrong on brand new cars are nothing more than cut corners on the manufacturers part. After this many years making cars they should be able to prevent most of the problems from EVER occuring. Of course...the day a car manufacturer creates a car that doesn't fall apart they might as well close their doors They are fully CAPABLE of making cars better...they just know they would only hurt themselves by letting it happen.
S8ER99 is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Hot Modder
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Age: 35
Posts: 6
 
Send a message via AIM to Psykostevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa249
Ok, Im am so aggravated with my G6. I loved my car when I bought it! Ive had it now for 8 months! And the past month things have been squeaking, breaking...and making me crazy!

The car is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership and I dont want it back until its fixed! Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and whats been wrong!

PROBLEM 1:

I noticed this when I was merging into interstate traffic at 70 mph...Im not really sure what my RPMs were when I heard it but it was this high pitched squeak as the car changed gears. You know the noise that cars with the turbo in them make (like the Jetta with turbo), it was similar to that. But we all know our G6s dont have turbo!!!! It makes that noise everytime the RPMs get up there.

PROBLEM 2: Shaking! I leave for work in the morning and my steering wheel shakes for the first 10 minutes of my 15 minute drive. You can see my coffee cup shaking, my Sirius Radio Receiver shaking...and also when im in the interstate theres a barely there shake that a new car should NOT have. Its definetly not a smooth ride

BIG PROBLEM 3: Steering! What steering? This isnt a constant problem, but its enough to scare the crap out of you! I went to make a left turn and the car kept going straight. The steering wheel was locked. It let go right at the last second and I about landed in a ditch! Then as I was backing out of my parking lot at my office i turned the wheel a bit and it locked again. This has happened about a dozen times in the past month. Luckily it hasnt caused me to wreck!

I received a recall in the mail a couple weeks ago for the harmonice balancer so could this have something to do with any of these problems Ive had or could the harmonic balancer be PROBLEM #4?

Please let me know if any of you have had any of these problems and what had to be done! Thanks!
Your problem #3 I've never even heard anyone else complain about, and maybe that's because they never lived to tell their side of the story. It sounds scary. The only scary problem I have is when I slam on my brakes real hard to avoid getting in an accident, my back wheels lock up and start fishtailing all over. The harmonic balancer has NOTHING to do with problem #3. But it could have something to do with problem #2.

More than likely problem #2 is caused by a wheel out of balance, and I've heard that some G6 wheels are so badly out of balance that they can't easily be fixed.

Problem #1 is common, and really un fixable. It is caused by transmission slippage. The problem is that the G6 is setup to make smooth shifts which cause clutch plate slippage and sound like the turbo noise. This usually only happens under high RPM's. The only way to fix that is to reprogram the transmission to shift firmer, and your dealer will not do that for you, and may tell you that it will void your warranty if you do, but it really can't void your warranty.

Hope that helps.
Psykostevo is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Age: 42
Posts: 235
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
Thats the whole point. They knew coming in what demographic they were going after. They KNEW grand am owners were going to buy the G6 as replacement. So why wouldnt they make sure certain problems didn't exist? Some little things that go wrong on brand new cars are nothing more than cut corners on the manufacturers part. After this many years making cars they should be able to prevent most of the problems from EVER occuring. Of course...the day a car manufacturer creates a car that doesn't fall apart they might as well close their doors They are fully CAPABLE of making cars better...they just know they would only hurt themselves by letting it happen.

THANK YOU!!!!

RP
Robyn P is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Algonquin, Illinois
Age: 33
Posts: 916
 
i had my back weels lock barely hitting the brakes and fish tale slightly but i was able to control even with the traffic going 45mph around me!

Also i have had the problem with my car trying to steer itself, like for instance if i go to pass some one and hit the gas and start going strait to get speed then my wheel desides that it wont let me turn it enough to get in the left lane and go within inches of the car next to me iv had this happen so many times i cant count. In fact i almost hit some ones side on the 10/25 my wheel kept pulling to the right after i passed some one.

I thought i read some whear that there is a program in the car to try to prevent lossing control by helping to corect steering with the electric power steering in the base and gt models
Daniel is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Old Fart, Young at Heart
 
G6Action's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere, USA
Age: 63
Posts: 423
 
maybe you guys are just running alittle bit low on electric power steering fluid....


but seriously this is a MAJOR concern that i, fortunately, have not had the pleasure of experiencing. so far, knock on carbon fiber, my car has had none of the problems that i have read about from other members.

just that one time when i was 'nailing it' from about 30mph and thought i had squealed the tires, only to find out it was the serpentine belt slipping.......other than that, all's been good with me and my G.........
G6Action is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome