"Steering Lock Survey/Report" - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

"Steering Lock Survey/Report"

fellow members

it is time we start actually compiling our experiences regarding the G6 Steering Wheel Lock issue in order to possibly understand it better and pass this information on to GM for comment.

Please list after this thread the following info in this order;

1) year & model of G6 (such as 2005 V6 or GT, GTP, etc...) also inc, if its an automatic or 6sp manual transmission
2) last 8 digits of your vin (only if you feel comfortable with that, if not then just the '11th' digit) note: the 10th digit designates year (5 would be 2005) and the 11th digit designates at which plant the vehicle was assembled
3) approximate number of miles on your car when you first experienced this issue
4) approximate outside weather temperature
5) approximate speed you were traveling at the time of your experience
6) approximate number of times you have experienced this issue
7) any advance notice before this situation occurs, such as dash lights, Driver Info Center messages, chimes, etc?

with answers to these questions, maybe we can find a 'common thread' and figure out what the actual problem is.

thanks for you help

kevin

Last edited by G6Action; 10-30-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Action
fellow members

it is time we start actually compiling our experiences regarding the G6 Steering Wheel Lock issue in order to possibly understand it better and pass this information on to GM for comment.

Please list after this thread the following info in this order;

1) year & model of G6 (such as 2005 V6 or GT, GTP, etc...) also inc, if its an automatic or 6sp manual transmission
2) last 8 digits of your vin (only if you feel comfortable with that, if not then just the '11th' digit)
3) approximate number of miles on your car when you first experienced this issue

with answers to these questions, maybe we can find a 'common thread' and figure out what the actual problem is.

thanks for you help

kevin

1) 2005 GT automatic transmission
2) 54114425
3) 14,000 mi
4) 50-55 degrees F
5) stopped in traffic
6) one
7) NO

Last edited by G6Action; 10-31-2005 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 03:39 PM

I would recommend you also include if you noticed any warning in vehicle that there was an issue with steering system such as a indicator in instrument cluster or a message in the Driver Info Center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
I would recommend you also include if you noticed any warning in vehicle that there was an issue with steering system such as a indicator in instrument cluster or a message in the Driver Info Center.
this would be good too, IF YOU HAD TIME TO NOTICE. for instance, i purposely ran my fuel low to see what happens. when it got so low, a chime went off and i noticed that the 'low fuel indicator light' on the gas gage was on. my girlfriend said, "Low fuel warning", huh? she then told me that the Driver Info Center displayed a message to that affect, however it only staying on there for a second or two and by the time i looked, it was gone. i'll add it to the list just in case....thanks

BUT if ALL messages only show for a second or two, whats the purpose of showing them at all? in my case, nothing showed on my dash, nothing 'chimed' and to the best of my knowledge, nothing was displayed on the Driver Info Center.

it HAS to be mechanical......if it was a simple case of the electric assist failing for only a second or two, i would still have MANUAL steering. at least thats what my common sense is telling me. its got to be a ball joint, steering gear or steering shaft/column. the more i think about this, my guess is the Rack & Pinion unit. this would definitely be different than on the GTP (hence no problems with the Hydraulic ones), while it would only make sense that the column, steering shaft and ball joints would all be the SAME. maybe, i don't know.

i'll see what 'shaking' at my local dealer tomorrow.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
2) last 8 digits of your vin (only if you feel comfortable with that, if not then just the '11th' digit) note: the 10th digit designates year (5 would be 2005) and the 11th digit designates at which plant the vehicle was assembled
7) any advance notice before this situation occurs, such as dash lights, Driver Info Center messages, chimes, etc?
1) 2005 G6 V6: Automatic
2) 54115434
3) 200miles
4) -10 ~ 25 degrees F
5) 5~10mph... various other occasions I have not been moving.
6) 5 off the top of my head.
7) No.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

S8ER99.....thanks for helping.

i have seen a number of people on this site complaining, but when i comes time to actually give information to pass on to GM.....well, where IS everybody???

we need MORE INPUT FROM OWNERS!!!!!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:53 PM

I would have posted sooner but I was in Cedar Rapids all weekend.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
S8ER99.....thanks for helping.

i have seen a number of people on this site complaining, but when i comes time to actually give information to pass on to GM.....well, where IS everybody???

we need MORE INPUT FROM OWNERS!!!!!!!
I have to check my vin number first. Then I'll post, yesterday I had to get ready for trick or treaters, hopefully I'll have time to get it this afternoon.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:55 AM

Not that I don't belive those of you that have the steering lock issue but... with the number of members on this board I don't think the number who have experienced this issue is very high.

Maybe this was a bad production run or just isolated problems to those specific G6's. This does NOT mean GM should not be addressing this issue and lookign into the problem, however this may explain why not so many people are replying to this thread?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM

Angry steering

2005 g6 base V6
5300 miles
55-70 degrees
steering locked when car was started.all gages were oscillating and a power steering message was displayed in the radio with a error message in the odometer display.this has happened twice,so far they have replaced the body control module No Help, and the steering colum was replaced 10/28/05.So far no problem with the new colum.But now the traction control light comes on intermittently.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 PM

Maybe we have some sort of eletrical issue. We did have a problem with water entering somewhere and shorting out the door locks with the early 2005s
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

MY 1st EXPERIENCE WITH A GM SERVICE DEPT...

...went something like this;

today, 7am, dropped my car of and explained to the service advisor of the situation. they offered me a rental for the day or a ride to work. i took the ride to work.

noon, received a v.m. saying that so far they could not duplicate the problem (which i knew would be the case), that they had contacted tech assistance and opened a 'case' on my vehicle. they also informed me that i was in need of an alignment and the tires needed rotated and balanced. called the advisor back, left him a v.m. to the effect that i just had my tires 'rotated and balanced' there less than 2k miles ago and didn't think i needed it again so soon. i also told them that i would like to wait and see what tech assistance had to say before i committed myself to paying for an alignment.

3pm, got a call from my s.a. saying they were finished with my car, could not duplicate the problem. again, not a surprise.

5:30pm, picked up my car. the s.a. informed me that my car is of the latest technology and that it incorporates 'fly-by-wire' and does not have a steering shaft connecting the column to the gear as other cars do. i was going to dispute his claim, but decided not to. BUT, on the way home, my pride got the best of me and i turned around. the service manager came and asked if it "did it again?" no, i replied. i just want to ask you something. i popped the hood and shined my flashlight into the engine compartment. "What is THIS? this 'rusty' coupling here, is this not a steering shaft? he replied; "yes, of course it is, why?" i told him my s.a. told me i had "fly-by-wire" and i didn't HAVE a steering shaft!!!

well, anyway going back was the best thing i could have done. in talking directly to the manager he told me of another similiar complaint he had a while back. he went to pull up the file and found that this vehicle had the steering column replaced and has had NO COMPLAINTS since. he asked if me if i wanted him to do that with mine as well. i said not at this time. i'd like to know for sure this is the problem before doing that.

i see NOW that a new member, bernice232, had a similar complaint and had HER column replaced. seemed to do the trick for her, so i may call them back and ask them to order one for me.

so how was YOUR day??????
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 06:07 PM

Might possibly be a defective column aye? Hmmm.... (gears are turning)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 AM

Steering

I have only had the car back for three days since they replaced the colum.I currently have a fault analyzer in the car which they are going to remove in two weeks to see if it has logged any more steering fault codes.The dealership does not seem too sure if they actually fixed the problem.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
Might possibly be a defective column aye? Hmmm.... (gears are turning)
or NOT turning!!!! which seems to be the case......ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in