Update On My Steering! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Update On My Steering!

Well well well...the dealership has had my car for 10 days now. They finally called today to let me know I could pick it up. 2 hours later they called to let me know that I couldnt pick it up...
For the following reasons:

A: When they road tested it the check engine light came on
B: There is a bolt missing from the control arm (the control arm is what they replaced to correct the steering locking up)
C: AND they notified me that my front tires are bald...the car has 19k on it. (I drive alot) BUT theres no way the tires should be bald.

I am sick and tired of this car!!! Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this lemon?

Or does anyone have these same problems??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Sorry that you have had the problems, to answer you about the tires being bald, could be because of the control arm problem. Were they worn evenly or was it typically more toward the inside or outside of the tread, both tires or more one than the other? IMHO, I think they should replace the tires at the dealership and charge it back to Pontiac. I am sure if you fussed enough they would probably do that. Do you know what the check engine light was for?
If you really want rid of it and don't mind another Pontiac or whatever else they have there at the dealership, You might put pressure on the New Car Sales Manager and see what they might do for you since you have had all of the complaints and if he seems unwilling then see if you can get any response with the Corporate headquarters. I seriously doubt that if you are persistant that they would leave this matter to fester more. GM is having a tough time with the imports (especially Toyota) and they don't need to continue to lose customers, especially ones who have owned their cars for less than a year.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to branderson
Not one problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa249
Well well well...the dealership has had my car for 10 days now. They finally called today to let me know I could pick it up. 2 hours later they called to let me know that I couldnt pick it up...
For the following reasons:

A: When they road tested it the check engine light came on
B: There is a bolt missing from the control arm (the control arm is what they replaced to correct the steering locking up)
C: AND they notified me that my front tires are bald...the car has 19k on it. (I drive alot) BUT theres no way the tires should be bald.

I am sick and tired of this car!!! Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this lemon?

Or does anyone have these same problems??
hey Carissa249.....i can fully understand your frustration and if it were me and MY car, i would feel the same way. fortunately for ME, my car has been great, except for of course the steering lock-up deal.

i suggest you do what BobG stated......if you want to keep the car, then ask, no DEMAND, that Pontiac replace your front tires since it has obviously had a control arm issue which could cause excessive tire wear. and again, find out WHY the check engine light was on. did they offer any reason?

BUT, if you really 'want out' of this car, then do as BobG suggests and speak to either the New Car Sales Manager OR the General Manager. remain calm, but explain all the problems you have had and how you have passed these on to the members of the G6OC!!!! maybe even take some copies of the posts with you to show them that we are having issues like yours.

let us know how it goes. by the way, if you DO pick up your car, ask them if they are willing to GUARENTEE, that by replacing your control arm, that your steering will not lock up again. i would be intrested to see what they say, as i have a hard time believing the control arm is the 'culprit'.......good luck

kevin
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:34 PM

I would ask for new tires as well, but good luck on that!! I bought a new Xterra a few years ago. I bought it brand new even though it was a year old. It went straight from the Nissan plant in Smyrna,TN to the Nashville Airport and sat on display for a year. When I bought it it was perfect except for the flat spots in the tires from where it had sat in one place for a year. After a month I had to get an attorney to send them a letter before they would replace my tires. Once they got the letter the salesperson called me and told me to take the car to my tire dealer and get my tires. A good dealership will take care of you, my Nissan dealer wasn't that great.

Also, be careful if they agree to put new tires on it that you get the same quality/brand. Before the Nissan dealership got the letter from the attorney they picked up my Xterra and took it and had tires put on it. When it left me at work it had BF Goodwrench (sp?) raised letters tires on it and when I got it back it had very cheap black wall tires on it. Needless to say they had to come back and get it and put my old tires back on it.

I traded the Xterra for the G6, but not before I got my new tires!! I wish now I would have kept the Xterra. G6 is sharp, but it only went to the dealership for oil changes and tire rotations, nothing mechanical. The G6 has been to the dealership more than once for mechanical problems, but nothing major at least (knock on wood)

Good Luck!!!!

RP
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Well, I picked my car up...the tires are going bad for sure!

The drivers front is at 2/32 the passenger front is 4/32. The back 2 are 7/32.

After picking it up they notified me that they had replaced both lower control arms.
The EGR valve is what caused the check engine light to come on...(they replaced it)...

they corrected the harmonic balancer and replaced the serpentine belt.

I have spoke to customer assistance at Pontiac/GM and they are no help whatsoever. I went to Walmart where I get all of my oil changes done and inspections and July 26th they had inspected my tires and they all were at 9/32. I took that paperwork to the dealership and they changed their tune. The tire wear was caused by not having tire rotations done is what they originally stated...but when I brought proof they then changed it to low air pressure in the tires.

To refresh everyones memory I originally had taken my car is for the steering locking and the car shaking while at higher speeds. They notified me that the LEFT lower control arm was bad and it needed to be replaced. It took them 11 days to get this fixed. Due to a "part" not coming in...well...

Monday I received the call to pick up my car....then an hour later they called and said not to pick it up because the control arm was missing a bolt AND the check engine light had came on during the test drive....

NOW here is the kicker...yesterday the woman that works there called and said the bolts had finally came in...and my car would be ready for pick up by the evening.

SO...that means they are idiots! They test drove my car without the bolts to my control arms! The bolts were the original parts they had been waiting on! AND they called to let me know it was ready for pick up when the bolts hadnt even came in yet!!! What a joke this dealership is!

I got it back and not the power window button on the drivers door doesnt work for the passenger door!

The tires are worn on the edges more then in the middle. They are not squared like my back tires. They are definetly rounded on the outer edges. Looks like Ill be sending out some letters and making more phone calls today!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Former G6 Guy

Send a message via AIM to bigbengt67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa249
The tires are worn on the edges more then in the middle. They are not squared like my back tires. They are definetly rounded on the outer edges. Looks like Ill be sending out some letters and making more phone calls today!
Wear on the outside edges of a tire is a sign that they were underinflated. I would use a different dealer next time something goes wrong.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
Wear on the outside edges of a tire is a sign that they were underinflated. I would use a different dealer next time something goes wrong.
DITTO on the tire wear! and definitely use a different dealer the NEXT time you take your car in for any warranty repairs.

but my question remains; 'Did they guarantee that in replacing the control arms that your concern of the steering wheel locking-up has been resolved?'

my bet is they never addressed that issue and STILL have no idea what caused it or worse, they just don't believe you. but for YOUR sake, i hope it IS fixed!

kevin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

No guarantee!
Haha!
These people have no clue what they are doing or talking about
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 AM

If it makes you feel any better I went by my dealership on Tuesday on my way out of town and SURPRISE!!!!!!! They were no longer there! I had no idea, I was just there a few weeks ago!! I guess the way they (my dealership) was doing business they just had to close up shop. I guess that's why they never called me when my new door panel came in!

RP
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn P
If it makes you feel any better I went by my dealership on Tuesday on my way out of town and SURPRISE!!!!!!! They were no longer there! I had no idea, I was just there a few weeks ago!! I guess the way they (my dealership) was doing business they just had to close up shop. I guess that's why they never called me when my new door panel came in!
maybe they just built a newer facility and moved without telling you, like my parents did when i was 6......they were sooo funny and weren't too happy when i finally found them!!! ha ha maybe your dealership was trying to 'lose' you too??? ......she'll never find us HERE!!!

just out of curiosity, what was the name of your dealership? i had applied for parts manager at a GM dealership in tennessee some time ago and never heard back.

kevin

Last edited by G6Action; 11-10-2005 at 09:48 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Action
maybe they just built a newer facility and moved without telling you, like my parents did when i was 6......they were sooo funny and weren't too happy when i finally found them!!! ha ha maybe your dealership was trying to 'lose' you too??? ......she'll never find us HERE!!!

just out of curiosity, what was the name of your dealership? i had applied for parts manager at a GM dealership in tennessee some time ago and never heard back.

kevin
Let's see...... It has been Southern GM and Earl Hudson, and I think there was another one between the 2. It was Earl Hudson when it all of a sudden disappeared! I actually bought the car from Wriker Pontiac in Wincester (about 45 minutes away) b/c I just couldn't make a deal with Earl Hudson. Earl Hudson has been my service department b/c I was promised by the Winchester dealership that if I bought it from them, that any time it needed service they would come get my car and leave me a rental. Yeah right!! The first time I asked about that Wriker denied anyone ever telling me that! I guess now I'll move on to Murfreesboro!

RP
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM

Is the steering wheel lock up issue only on 2005's? I'm thinking about getting an '06 but this sounds kind of scary.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 02:14 AM
A two-G6 family!

Send a message via AIM to ragingfish Send a message via MSN to ragingfish Send a message via Yahoo to ragingfish
My dad's 05 has almost 16,000 miles and not a SINGLE problem! =)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher
Is the steering wheel lock up issue only on 2005's? I'm thinking about getting an '06 but this sounds kind of scary.
don't recall (recall, ha ha) seeing any complaints on an '06. all that i have seen are issues with the 2005 STD, V6 and GT. of course, the GTP doesn't have this concern since it has hydraulic power steering.

anybody out there with a 2006 with steering issues?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in