Duplicate Steering Lock up...maybe - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Duplicate Steering Lock up...maybe

Hi ya'll....Ok on my way to work today my steering wheel locked up as I was starting to make a slow right turn from a stop. So when I got to my office and I pulled in the parking lot I attempted to make a right turn to see if the lock up would happen again. And sure enough it did. It happened at around 5-10 mph...on a right turn. So I came in to the office grabbed a co-worker and had them try a right hand turn slowly while applying and letting off the brake. And it did it to him also. I dont recommend trying this on the road but maybe if you can find an empty lot give it a shot. It felt almost like I had maxxed out the right turning of the steering wheel. But once it let loose I was able to turn the wheel almost twice around. Let me know what happens if you try it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:03 PM

As you applied the brakes, the steering locked due to it not having enough electrical power. Have the dealer reflash the computer to bump up the power to the steering system. Also have them check the electrical system, battery, alternator and belt. If the dealer gives you a hard time, call Pontiac directly.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Old Fart, Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
As you applied the brakes, the steering locked due to it not having enough electrical power. Have the dealer reflash the computer to bump up the power to the steering system. Also have them check the electrical system, battery, alternator and belt. If the dealer gives you a hard time, call Pontiac directly.
just wondering...do you know this for a FACT, or merely 'speculating'???

it makes sense, just wondered where you where all this time we've been discussing this issue.

inquiring minds want to know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 PM

hmm.. well with the rim fiasco going on I havnt driven my car for a week now. just got it back today so I didnt have time to try this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in