General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday

As the saying goes, "It's all over but the crying." Edmunds is reporting that their source inside General Motors has let slip that the Pontiac brand will officially be eliminated. The announcement is expected to be made next Monday as a part of a more thorough reorganization of the struggling automaker.

General Motors PR rep Tom Wilkinson told Edmunds that he could not share any information but that media should keep an eye on the company's news website for updates.

Rumors have circulated since the initial stages of GM's viability plan that both Pontiac and GMC would be cut and it looks like the Pontiac rumors may finally be true - despite GM's continued insistence that the brand is safe.

Pontiac is well-known as the most exciting of GM's brands with cars like the GTO, Firebird, Grand Prix (GTP) and now the G8 achieving iconic status.

The loss of the brand might be a necessary evil for General Motors but it could also come back to haunt them if another manufacturer purchased the name.

More: General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Pontiac Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post

As the saying goes, "It's all over but the crying." Edmunds is reporting that their source inside General Motors has let slip that the Pontiac brand will officially be eliminated. The announcement is expected to be made next Monday as a part of a more thorough reorganization of the struggling automaker.

General Motors PR rep Tom Wilkinson told Edmunds that he could not share any information but that media should keep an eye on the company's news website for updates.

Rumors have circulated since the initial stages of GM's viability plan that both Pontiac and GMC would be cut and it looks like the Pontiac rumors may finally be true - despite GM's continued insistence that the brand is safe.

Pontiac is well-known as the most exciting of GM's brands with cars like the GTO, Firebird, Grand Prix (GTP) and now the G8 achieving iconic status.

The loss of the brand might be a necessary evil for General Motors but it could also come back to haunt them if another manufacturer purchased the name.

More: General Motors to Eliminate Pontiac Brand on Monday on AutoGuide.com
Yeah... but they are eliminating it, because it's the worst selling brand for GM right now.. Chev is higher. One of my friends owns a pontiac dealership here in Ontario, and he said yesterday that they are not just dropping it, they are phasing it out over the next 3 to 4 years.. Chevrolet will be getting more models in to replace the Pontiac genre.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Member

If or when that happens I do believe someone else will pick up the name and make it happen!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc

Last year pontiac only sold 280,000 units. Back in the 1990s pontiac sold that many in grand ams alone! I can see why pontiac would be phased out that is a sad number of units sold. I am glad I could do my part in making that number for pontiac 2008 sales. This is my last pontiac Im going to treasure it. Ford annouced they will be discontinuing the mercury nameplate. Im really sad for pontiac brand they made sharp cars (bonneville,grand prix,grand am,g6,g8 and ive seen some nice sunfires) g5 was to much like the cobalt.

BLUIZER GT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc

what in the hell is wrong with me I forgot the sharpest of all pontiac cars the beloved trans am (firebird). Im so sorry please forgive me

BLUIZER GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil1 View Post
what in the hell is wrong with me I forgot the sharpest of all pontiac cars the beloved trans am (firebird). Im so sorry please forgive me
What about the GTO and the Solctice?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Pontiac Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil1 View Post
LMAO!! how dare you!!! lol...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 PM
GXP Owner!

I was just at a GM dealer and they said that within the next few hours GM will announce that Pontiac along with several other brands Hummer, Saab, etc. will no longer be made. This is a very sad day indeed. Again I heard this at a GM dealer about a hour ago.

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Pontiac Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla31 View Post
I was just at a GM dealer and they said that within the next few hours GM will announce that Pontiac along with several other brands Hummer, Saab, etc. will no longer be made. This is a very sad day indeed. Again I heard this at a GM dealer about a hour ago.
Yes... that is partially true.. they're going to "phaze" it out... you can't just kill the brand and everything is peachy... you got dealerships to worry about, other employee's... it's not logical to just stop and that's that... they are "phazing it out"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Young Punk

I think.. my heart just exploded out of grief.

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 AM

Not to worry,I've been doing a lot of phoning and searching around about Pontiac and all Us Canucks that own Ponchos will be maintaning our 5yr drivetrain,road assistance warranty,and the three yr everything wlse warranty by GM on our 2008-2009's and if they go belly up the Canadian Gov't will be looking after our warranties,if they aren't already.

08 G6 SE----------------75 TA
2008 SE G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Announcements > Site News and Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in