Only 36 Percent Of Pontiac Owners Stay With GM - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Only 36 Percent Of Pontiac Owners Stay With GM

Pontiac owners are abandoning the brand when it comes time to purchase their next vehicle, according to a report in Automotive News.

Pontiac's moderately priced sedans like the G6, Grand Prix and G8 were affordable transportation for many consumers. With those products gone, all that GMC-Buick dealers (who formerly carried Pontiac products) can offer are more expensive fare like the Buick Lacrosse, which starts at $26,000.

Pontiac customers who do stick with GM tend to gravitate towards Chevrolet, which offers larger, moderately priced sedans that are a familiar transition for Pontiac owners. GM has offered a $1,000 rebate to Pontiac owners as well as four free oil changes as an incentive to stay with the company. GM spokesperson Tom Henderson said that "the loyalty rates of Pontiac owners are in line with our expectations," but declined to give any data.

More: Only 36 Percent Of Pontiac Owners Stay With GM on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:08 AM

Brand not price..

I never bought my Pontiac because of price...I bought it because I wanted a Pontiac.

GM can kiss my ass.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

Not sure what the big deal about "only" 36% staying; I mean, how many stayed with Pontiac or GM beforehand? I happen to have had 5 Pontiacs and 1 Chevy for my last 6 cars, but in general the population tends to bounce around to different makes from what I've observed

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM

With the G5 and G8 models Pontiac looked like a brand making a comeback... which is why I'm baffled that GM ended the brand. I look through their models now and see NOTHING of value or interest to me.
  • Azeo -> Cobalt -> Cruze -> Malibu -> Impala.
    I'm 6'3" -> Crappy -> Looks cheap -> Grocery Getter -> larger Grocery Getter.
  • Maybe a Camaro so I could take my shirt off and yeehaw out the window. Wonder if they have a Dixie horn upgrade or T - Tops.
  • Buick = Oldsmobile = Grannymobile
    The LaCrosse looks nice, but for 30k, I'd be looking at a Lexus CT 200h, IS 250, Acura TSX, Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon or so many others.

I'm also totally disgusted with GM's coporate culture. Their unions, offshoring, government bailout, and Detroit. In contrast, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Hyundia, and Kia (BMW and Mercedes too but beyond my pay grade) all have big manufacturing plants in the South which are putting people to work with well paying jobs and they support the communities they're in. This alone is enough to purchase their products instead of GM's for a very long time.

But ultimately my purchasing descision will be based on price and how much I like the car. Chances are GM products will probally devalue the most which means inexpensive slightly used cars. I got my 20006 G6 GT with leather seats in 2007 with 8k miles for ~$17k-18k. But buying new... no way GM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Cool Gm Loyalty

With GM's poor decision to end Pontiac, it's no wonder 36% of Pontiac owners are staying loyal. There's nothing they have to offer that can compare to a Pontiac. The only cars I'd even consider are a Corvette or a Camaro, and neither one of those combines the all around sportiness and practicality of the Pontiac line up. I've had a 2001 Grand Am GT for 150k with very few problems, so I just bought a 2007 G6 GT while they're still around. If this one's as loyal as the last one, I'll be happy as a clam!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM

I can tell you that right now Pontiac has a better customer buy again ratio than Toyota, ha.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
jack steel

I just bought a new Hyundai Sonata SE.In the past all of my cars were GM,but I will not buy another one.My 2008 G6 has sixty thousand miles and the only problem was replacing the AC compressor.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
The G6 is my first and only car. I will frankly be going with a Hyundai or Nissan for my next car. When GM ended the Pontiac brand, they pretty much killed any truly decent cars they had. I look at today's lineup and I can never imagine myself driving any of the GM cars.

I can fit right into a Sonata, Genesis or Maxima though.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Lifetime Member

I've owned a few Pontiacs and only one was trouble, but boy was it trouble! I agree, Pontiac was/is the only GM I'd consider buying. The only reason I bought a G6 (six generation Grand AM) was because of the success I had with the Grand AMs before.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Da.v3

I get offered a " loyalty" rebate, extra value on my used car and i even have the gm card with 2k on it...and i dont think that will even be enough to get me to buy another gm car.

Nothing else gm has now compares to the 6 or the g8 in terms of looks, size and power witch would have been my " next " car.

all of that on top of all the dumb shit they have done...not convincing. im thinkin mitsu's 10yr warranty is pulling my leg. might be time for an outlander in the near future

Black 06 GTP Coupe

Performance: Full CRABs | RacingLine street MMIs + STB

Appearance: Tint - 35%r, 45%f | Tinted Alteza Tails | Black Halo Proj Eagle Eye Headlights |5000k HIDS in low and fogs w/ 100w hal in high | Red Leds under dash and behind grilles | White LED Interior Bulbs + Trunk, Plate | Bebadged w/ black overlays
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
-Banned-

I think I'll be buying a Fiat after the G6 - if they bring over a certain model.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Well, the way I feel is that GM stabled me in the back. I have own three Pontiac's, and what do they leave me with now, Chevy I think not. All the other brands they have just don't move me the right way. It just kills me that they kill Pontiac to save Chevy, when Chevy was loose way more money then Pontiac.

For my next car I plan on supporting the American work, I hear BMW is just about done with there plant they are opening down south. Maybe I will be looking at a new BMW.

As for GM F*ck you and I hope you die a painful death because you are far from what you clam to be, and it is a sad day when a Toyota is more American then an American company car.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopjoshua View Post
Well, the way I feel is that GM stabled me in the back. I have own three Pontiac's, and what do they leave me with now, Chevy I think not. All the other brands they have just don't move me the right way. It just kills me that they kill Pontiac to save Chevy, when Chevy was loose way more money then Pontiac.

For my next car I plan on supporting the American work, I hear BMW is just about done with there plant they are opening down south. Maybe I will be looking at a new BMW.

As for GM F*ck you and I hope you die a painful death because you are far from what you clam to be, and it is a sad day when a Toyota is more American then an American company car.
As sad as it is that Pontiac is currently dead, there wasn't a chance in hell they were going to kill Chevy. Chevy is GM. Plus, if you kill Chevy, you kill the Corvette. GM makes a killing of those.

I still plan to buy a G8 GXP in a year when I graduate.

Andrew

08 G6 GT

Modifications: Spyders, HID's Lows/Fogs
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Varsity Squad

Garage
I have not done the research, but I am pretty sure that 36% is probably about an industry average on loyalty. With the way the world and our country is LOYALTY is about as common as common sense anymore. I have always owned a GM vehichle in the 15 yrs I have been driving.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
MonsterG6

that G8 though....that thing is SOOOO sexy...i tried to get the guy to race me but he wasnt having any of it...ida lost anyways...4bangers are a slow car. id jump all over a g8 as soon as i got a chance...

15% Tint All around, Black Overlays, Headlights, System w/ Woofer, and Compstar Remote start setup.
To Come: Rims, tinted Taillights, K&N Drop-in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Announcements > Site News and Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in