Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Weak FM Reception?

21K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  KB3NZQ 
#1 ·
Does anyone experience weak FM reception that isn't static, but it kinda mutes out the treble in the sound? It sounds like the stations fade in and out... sounds like you cover the speakers with pillows.
This occures in my 08, and my girl just bought an 09 and it does exactly the same thing.
Mine is base, her's is Gt/Monsoon/6disc, and they sound exactly the same. In both cars the AM, CD, iPod, and XM(her's) sound perfect and solid.
Leads me to beleive its the rear window antenna that might be the weak link... but we're in Suburban Pittsburgh, and all my other vehicles get strong FM.

Has anyone experimented with an old 32" stick antenna? or piggy backing one on? or?

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
have the windows been tinted? metalic tint can sometimes cause poor reception being the antena is in the back window.

#7 ·
I disagree with that it affects both, but FM is a stronger signal so usually not as noticable, where as AM is faint and easily blocked.

Stock headlights and no tint on both, but thanks for the ideas. Haven't looked yet, but where does the antenna convert from the cable to the leads in the rear glass? If there's a connection, I may try laying a stick antenna in the trunk and see if anything Changes.
It's so strange that both cars do the exact same thing...
But do you other cars have aftermarket radios?

#6 ·
Stock headlights and no tint on both, but thanks for the ideas. Haven't looked yet, but where does the antenna convert from the cable to the leads in the rear glass? If there's a connection, I may try laying a stick antenna in the trunk and see if anything Changes.
It's so strange that both cars do the exact same thing...

#10 ·
To clairify from a few posts ago, both the G6's have stock radio's as well as the other vehicles I mentioned as compairison.
Does anyone know where the antenna module is located? I'm willing to drop $20 or so on mine ('07, out of warentee) and see if it helps. Then adress the 09 accordingly.
Thanks for all the help so far, looking forward to finding where the antenna module is

#11 ·
your dealership parts counter can print you out the diagram. I will look but I recall it
being inline under your headliner just in front of your back glass (antenna).
I'll get back with ya...

well, 3 yr 36k warranty it could have been! lol

#13 ·
I think I'm going to give it a try. The dealer list that part# at $34.xx, but does not stock it. I found it online for $20.xx...but...
It's says antenna module w/o digital audio. Does anyone know what they mean? There isn't a second option 'with' digital audio. The List Price matches exactly so I know it's the part that's being discussed in this thread.
Again, thanks for any help/ideas.

#15 ·
Stock 08 g6gt rear defoger nock's out fm radio in car and fm ham radio

i have a used stock 08 g6 gt and every time i turn on my rear defoger it nocks out what ever fm radio station i listen to and it also nocks out my 144 to 148 MHz ham radio to nothing but white noise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.