Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Did you know a GXP is just as fast as a HEMI Charger?

20K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Thunderbat 
#1 ·
After I "manhandled" one a couple of weeks ago, I did some research comparisons.

The 0-60 specs are just about the same for both cars with .1 difference here and there. 6.1 to 6.3 depending on who performed the tests (but I got my specs from Edmonds.com) In the quarter mile @97mph, the difference is around .3 seconds or so with the Charger getting a slight edge. (again from my Edmonds source)

So to make a long story short, although the Dodge Charger is suppose to compete with the G8 and the likes, it can barely if at all handle a 6 cyl G6 GXP.

I still think getting rid of Pontiac is a TERRIBLE MOVE.:mad:

#7 ·
Before I had my G6 I had a 2006 R/T Daytona Charger. Yea it had 350 hp but it weighed a ton more than the G6. All I miss of the charger is the roar of the hemi.

#8 ·
What about the SXT Charger with the Hemi engine package? I friend of mine has one and with the new tires on my 6 it seems like their neck and neck coming off the line, all the way up to about 45mph [[the auto G6 GT's shift point]] and barely starts to pull away after that.

Are there different performance specs on the R/T's drivetrain as opposed to the SXT?

#12 ·
I'm sure the "hemi package"is more like appearance package? because if it was a V8, and your G6 GT is stock, I don't think that it is possible that your car can go neck to neck with it.. but I'm not sure so..

#9 ·
I went slightly faster than my buddy's challenger R/T.. His has exhaust, mine tune and exhaust.. also raced a charger R/T too when mine was bone stock.. smoked him easy,but don't know if he was pushing his best.. anyways, I know challenger R/T goes slightly faster than the charger.. so I'm sure i'd smoke a stock hemi charger with my car bone stock.. all the V8 for nothing,,

#10 ·
I'm not at all surprised by reading this. I like the Charger and the Challenger both but they are overweight pigs that will not survive the changing market. I think Fiat will take care of slimming them down while probably increasing their performance and mileage.
All of this showcases how good a car the G6 is and how dumb GM is for squelching the whole division. I'm sorry folks, but I have yet to see one car from Chevy or Buick that I like half as much as a G6, GP or G8.
I was considering getting myself a GP GXP, but after reading this thread I may have just ruled that out completely. The G6 GXP is a sweet car with many examples going for good prices. I like the G8 also but even the V6 version is too pricey for me, and aside from it being RWD, I dont think it offers as much bang for the buck as the G6.

#13 ·
When I leased my G6 GXP in 2008 I considered a GP GXP but that was my last choice, the G8 GT was first but since my lease terms on a GP base was up there weren't any GT's around in time to take advantage of the very last lease pull ahead GM offered prior to the bailout and the demise of Pontiac.

I've been monitoring the values of this car since I plan on buying it next year and it's in line with what I expected. They just need more aftermarket mods.

#11 ·
Hey thunderbat, I think you should definitely get a gxp. however, I don't know about where you live but here, g6 gxp (specially the coupe one) is really rare and hard to find. I have the only gxp in the city here. and I'm sure that mine is the only coupe gxp in the whole province. I think there should be cheap used G8 GT around for cheap price. that should be another option for you. GP GXP is not as good tho in my opinion..

#15 ·
the forthcoming Regal with the turbo 2.0 will probably be a pretty sporty car, based on the Vauxhall version sold in Europe, unless GM waters it down for the US market, but even if it comes over with its full 220hp powerplant, its going to get smoked by the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo, which uses 2.0L to thump out 275hp/269lbs/ft of torque.

Talk about something that will dust a Hemi Charger and still get 34mpg!

#16 ·
interesting info earl

#17 · (Edited)
The Charger is a 4 door last time I checked you had a 2 door. Your cars are different in every aspect! Wieght, length, wheel base etc.

What is the top speed in the G6 GXP's? 130 or something?

Did you actually race one or are you just going off of data from another source?

This is to funny.... I used to do the same thing with my supercharged v6 3.8L but alas, I got blown away in it if the v8 was not pure stock.

Mopar sucks anyways...

#19 ·
and whats so wrong about that? The new buick regal isnt made for the track...i think they look good and are a good car.

#20 ·
Upper valvle train wear, engines wont last over 110,000 thouasnd miles without some extensive repair. 1000+ dollars.

The Engine has to move a heavier car with an engine that is designed for a lighter car, which in turn is a coupe also.

A lot of problems, it could be solved by running a v6 with a turbo.

They are trying to recreate the BUICK GNX but failed.

#21 ·
even by then the average person has moved on to another car. thats about 180000kms anywho

#23 ·
im from canada thats why i use KM.....................

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
its people like you that make america look bad. USE METRIC come on! really?? Just because you tell me to i'm not going to.I'm not bad talking USA but seriously. If you arent going to post helpful comments ill have this thread closed!

#29 ·
The basic comparison from the beginning of this thread was between performance cars. The Hemi Charger is marketed as a performance model, so the difference of size, weight and so on is a moot point. The numbers on the track tell the difference, as has been done in many auto magazine comparisons over the years.

Performance machines come in all shapes and sizes and excel in different areas, but the point of the thread is that the G6 GXP gives up about 100hp, but because of its lighter weight is still very close in performance, and probably with better fuel mileage.

The big V8 musclecar will always have its place in gearhead hearts, as will the V-12 exotics, but the real world of daily driving demands a more practical machine for most people. With rising CAFE standards on the way, every automaker out there will be looking at ways to boost performance from smaller engines.

Some of the greatest performance engines in the world power the various classes of cars at the 24 hours of LeMans. They must be fast, powerful as well as a measure of efficiency. The LS series engine powering the Corvette has dominated the GT class for years, but it could never finish the race on the fuel allotment given to the LMP cars.

As far as the whole metric system is concerned, I'm amazed the USA has hung on for this long, if for no other reason that so many of the cars sold here are built in Canada. Old habits die hard, always have.

The bottom line is that I miss the attitude of Pontiac. I missed them terribly at the 2010 NYC auto show because GM had nothing else with the same look and feel.

#36 ·
^^agreed

#37 ·
I think its pretty sad when any one who is a gear head or simply a car enthusiast stoops to brand bashing. All manufacturers have made both good and bad cars and that is even more pronounced in the performance car arena.

The thread was never intended to bash the Hemi Charger. I've driven a Hemi Charger and it was a nice car;quite roomy,powerful and fun to drive.

Anytime a smaller car with a smaller engine can achieve similar performance goals, then it should be given some respect, and the Touring car races in Great Britian during the 60s were a showcase for this opposing mindset. Camaros and Mustangs duked it out with the Mini Coopers and the result was great racing.

The second point is why would a LS1 powered, Z28 owner be hanging out on a G6 forum? I think I can say this with honesty since I am not a G6 owner myself, but I signed on to ask questions and get input about the cars as a potential buyer. LS1 on the other hand doesnt seem to be asking questions, but simply goading useless confrontation.

If you have honest questions or valuable input, thats what a message board is for; the constructive exchange of ideas. If you have nothing more than brand bashing and schoolyard bravado, then turn off your computer or smartphone and find another way to pass your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.