My recent visit to a Pontiac dealer almost resulted in me getting scammed - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Explr1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Angry My recent visit to a Pontiac dealer almost resulted in me getting scammed

I've been looking for a GT for about 2 months now, so I finally found the exact car. I receive a GM discount (not the Employee discount) through work and inquired as to how much off on the car it would be. Now this discount is supposed to be 4-5% above the Employee discount so I know how much this price should be. The gangster salesman comes back to me and tells me that it's only $900 off. Not only this but that my trade-in which should be worth at least $4000 based to Kelley Blue Book at good condition is $3000 according to them. To make a long story short, I contacted 2 other dealers and BOTH said that unless they had an MSRP or invoice that the car would typically be $2,000-2500 off the MSRP based on my discount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 AM

............... and the point is???? Just go to another dealer................
AntManG6 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Subtle_Cynicism Send a message via MSN to Subtle_Cynicism Send a message via Yahoo to Subtle_Cynicism
I have major issues buying from dealers.

I would've requested another salesmen, first, and then went to the big guy at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 02:50 PM

I usually on deal with the fleet/internet manager to avoid anybody trying to rip me off.

Check out my 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic G6 GT at CarDomain.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to a smaller dealer where one of my dad goes for his cars and they told me that not only should I have gotten $2500 off for my discount, but also an additional $500 dealer cash back. After I buy the car I'm going to confront the first dealer and see what his reasoning is behind it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Well the reason for your low trade-in amount is because dealers never use a rating of 'good' or higher when evaluating trade-ins. They usual use the lowest rating.

Mike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 PM

You should have received $1000 cash back if it's a 2006...$500 back if its used for a edumication driver program.

Mine is stickered a hair under 27k...looks like I will be able to grab it for about 24 large
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Whatever the GM Employee discount is, is what I should have gotten plus $500 in dealer cash. This dimwit comes to me and tells me that it's only $900 off. Yeah right, where do I sign to buy?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:38 AM

I don't know if you already did this, but go to www.gmbuypower.com and do a search for the G6 you want, pick that dealer, and see what price they have for the employee discount listed for that vehicle. The price you see is probably still inflated a little, but you can see how much the dealer was off.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

That applies only to 2005s, this model is a 2006.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 AM

Red face

It's hard to find any dealership that is not out to rip you off. I have bought in my town, 30 miles away, and 75 miles away. They are all the same. I worked in a delaership for a while and got to see 1st hand how they will rip you off, especially the used car manager's (you know the ones that decided how much to give you for your trade) always a rip off!!! It's their business, because they no, no matter what they do, if they rip you off or not, whether you come back or not, someone will eventually walk in the door and replace your possible repeat business. I've had 5 new cars and 2 used cars in the past 12 years (I don't like to keep a car very long) and I've only used the same dealership twice and after my last visit I'll never deal with them again, but after all my problems with them, one of my best friends went in and bought a new Altima (so she replaced my business that they lost). So see, they're not looking to be loyal because they don't have to be.

RP
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 AM

Remeber that dealerships aren't charities...they can't give away cars for next to nothing. They will try to squeeze every penny for their benefit (it cost some coin to operate a dealership). They will rip you off, they aren't your friend (unless you know them personally).

It does piss me off though, because they can sacrifice a little in the sales part since they seem to make a crapload in the service department. If your car isn't under warranty, they charge a diagnostic fee. They they charge you $30/ hour in labor, and pay the techs $12 (but its like that in any business).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Cool

just bought a new 2005 G6.
The salesman told us that the employee discount price was non-negotiable.
We walked away, but it bothered my wife so she called the sales mgr. the next day and got an extra $1000.00 off.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 05:18 PM

It's just another way to get you to buy the car without thinking that there is a better price somewhere else.

Check out my 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic G6 GT at CarDomain.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Announcements > FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in