G5 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

G5

ORLANDO, Fla. -- General Motors Corp. (GM) announced some additions and subtractions to its Pontiac and Buick lines to dealers here a few days after its sales chief vowed a "renaissance" for the two model lines.

Pontiac dealers will get a new entry-level model, a 2007 G5 coupe, in the fall. The base model target price will be just under $15,000, and a high-performance version also will be available, said Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson. The G5 will be built on the same small-car architecture, the Delta, that's used for the Chevy Cobalt, he said.

The new Pontiac G5 is designed to get entry-level buyers into the Pontiac, Buick and GMC showroom, Hopson said. He said GM expects first-year sales of the G5 to be about 20,000, if not higher.

Pontiac also will end production of the Montana SV6 minivan, which doesn't fit with Pontiac's image, at the end of the 2006 model year, Hopson said.

Buick, meanwhile, will get an "uplevel version" of the Buick LaCrosse sedan that will include new exterior trim and a new engine, Buick spokesman David Darovitz confirmed Tuesday. He said no price has been decided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure how I feel right now.

On one hand, I'm pissed. They said they were done rebadging their cars, and that's all the "G5" is. A Pontiac Pursuit from Canada, which is just a Chevy Cobalt with G6 tailights, and a twin port grille.

Also, G5. Not ok. I like having inspiring names to go with my cars, and G5 and G6 just don't do it.

If they play their cards right, it could probably come in quietly enough with out too much of a stir, but if its just another rebadge and the same thing as a base and SS/SC Cobalt, it's going to be the same ol same ol.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle_Cynicism
I'm not sure how I feel right now.

On one hand, I'm pissed. They said they were done rebadging their cars, and that's all the "G5" is. A Pontiac Pursuit from Canada, which is just a Chevy Cobalt with G6 tailights, and a twin port grille.

Also, G5. Not ok. I like having inspiring names to go with my cars, and G5 and G6 just don't do it.

If they play their cards right, it could probably come in quietly enough with out too much of a stir, but if its just another rebadge and the same thing as a base and SS/SC Cobalt, it's going to be the same ol same ol.

Yeah, I agree somewhat. If its just the cobalt with a pontiac badge I'll be really upset. Exterior changes with a new upgraded interior, better suspension tuning, and possibly higher power outputs would help it sit better in the Pontiac lineup. As for the naming convention....I don't mind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Its the exact same as a Cobalt, it has been on sale in Canada under the Pursuit name since '05. Blatant badge engineering at GM was supposed to be a thing of the past. From what I've heard this car will offer nothing different from the Cobalt or the Ion. The only thing it will do is prove GM thinks we are all idiots.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:01 PM

i agree with BigBen, the've been making the car in canada for 2 years and now they want to bring it to our market? i dont get it, i thought the G6 was supposed to be GM's entry leval car, they even did the financing deal in late '05 on them. plus if they call it the G5 people who havent researched cars will think the G6 is another dime a dozen rebadged car like this one will be.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 08:48 PM

well the link i read earlier (http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8f705) says that the G5 is based on GM's Delta platform, which is their compact front wheel drive automobile platform including Opel and the Saturn Ion.

the G6 is based on GM's Epsilon platform which is their new mid-size front wheel drive automobile platform including the Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra. contrary to popular belief, the Buick LaCrosse and Saab 9-5 are not on the same platform as the G6 as originally planned. the LaCrosse was switched over to the W platform (similar, but not the same) and the 9-5 was modified just enough to get it off the Epsilon platform.

the G5, although just a gimmick to market the Cobalt with a Pontiac badge, is still a seperate vehicle, at least according to GM's terms it is. G6 was Generation 6 of the Grand Am. the name had meaning. G5 is a smaller G6. they are simply using a play on words type strategy to gather more potential customers.

personally i think it is a low blow to the G6 folks to introduce a G5. not only does it undermine the meaning of the G6, but it also slaves the name out to sell more cars. i think GM should have dug down another rung on the ladder and come up with something better than G5.

Last edited by bristol16; 02-23-2006 at 08:52 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 PM

what happened to the Cavalier, the Grand Am, and whatever the G5 is supposed to be? all the name changing drives me nuts. to GM's credit though, Suburban is the longest running nameplate in automotive history (thank you 1935).

and on that note, i have also read that the Cobalt, Pontiac Pursuit, and Saturn Ion are all Delta platform cars, so i think the G5 is merely a US version of the candian Pontiac Pursuit. sad.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:20 PM

What's stranger is that the Canadian Pursuit is called the G4 in Mexico. Why is it now G5 in the US?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM

The canadian Pontiac Pursuit is now rebadged (since the begining of March) as "Pontiac G5 Pursuit" and will be rerebadged as "Pontiac G5" for 2007. So I assume that the US market is getting the regular Pursuit.

I currently own a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit SE and the car is IDENTICAL to a 2005 Cobalt LS with the optional Sport group. Same price and same optional equipement. I got a Pursuit only because I wanted a Pontiac.
Here's a pic of my Pursuit.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM

It's a good looking car. I'd get it over the Cobalt just beacuse its a Pontiac, but do we really need two of them?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 05:48 PM

Here in Canada, especialy in Quebec, the small car category is way more popular than any others. So it's very understandable that GM offer the Cobalt and the G5/Pursuit.
But, in the US, I doubt that you need those 2 cars...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:33 PM

I really don't understand what everyones beef with this whole thing is. It has been happening for years. Cavalier/Sunfire, Grand Prix/Bonneville/Impala/Regal. The Grand Am was never the entry level vehicle it was the sunfire. Now the GA has been replaced by the G6 and the Sunfire and Cavalier are replaced with the G5 and the Cobalt respectively. Granted they should come up with a better name than G5 but I don't think it is that big of a deal.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle_Cynicism
It's a good looking car. I'd get it over the Cobalt just beacuse its a Pontiac, but do we really need two of them?
that is exactly why there are two of them, because there are people out there that would buy one but not the other so they might as well offer both.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:05 AM

I've seen one that's actually badged a G5 yesterday.

2006 G6 SE V6 Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic
General Motors - A pension fund run by spineless beancounting fools who just happens to be building cars on the side.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM

This is exactly why American auto manufacturers are getting stomped on by all their competitors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in