2005 Pontiac G6 Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to cubguy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

About effing time!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 AM

How do we know if our G6 is apart of this recall?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 AM

you should receive a letter from GM or your GM dealer if you bought it from one.. It will be addressed to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Be patient.. letters should arrive in the next few weeks.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM

So a 2007 Pontiac g6 is not the recall ?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 AM

Well I have an 06 G6 GTP - so in the recall it says only some 06 models. Couldn't find any information more specific, so I called my GM dealer. They had no clue what I was talking about but checked my VIN anyways - didn't find anything. So it looks like the GTP isnt part of the recall. But I will wait a week or 2 and double check - the information relayed from GM may be delayed or something.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 AM

I bought my 2008 used. Maybe it's the vehicles with electronic steering.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM

again.. ONLY CARS WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING WILL BE INVOLVED

If you can look under your hood, and you have a power steering reservoir.. you will not be included.. if you don't know what your looking for, wait until the letters arrive, or the dealership network has more than 24hrs to learn about this.

This recall announcement was made YESTERDAY, so there will be a very normal delay before the dealership networks begin to be instructed on how to handle the recall. Give the guys a chance to know something before you guys start making phone calls asking questions they can't answer yet. It'll save you some time, and allow them to service the customers they have in shop already.

ALSO, please read the GM Press Release for all the information that has been provided. It it in the very FIRST post, and describes what the problem is.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 AM

I did read the press release, I do not see anywhere where it says it is limited to cars with electric power steering. It makes sense what you're saying, but what is your source?

If your post was referring to mine, then I know it was made yesterday and called just to check to see if they knew anything, and simply said I would try again in a week or 2. So, I am giving them the chance and I know there may be a delay with information transfer etc. totally reasonable and understandable. If you were not referring to my post then you may disregard the latter half. But still, how do you know it is electronic power steering?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 AM

I was actually not referring to your post about calling, it just reminded me to say something about it.

The source I have is the original recall and the opening statement of the new press release.

"DETROIT – General Motors informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today that it would recall more than 1.3 million vehicles in the U.S. that may experience a sudden loss of electric power steering assist."

Electric Power Steering Assist is the electric steering rack. A "Hydraulic Power Steering Assist" recall would be issued for the hydraulic units.

Last edited by cmessick; 04-01-2014 at 09:58 AM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks I guess I missed that small nuance.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j514 View Post
Thanks I guess I missed that small nuance.
are you having problems with yours? or were you just wanting it replaced?

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 AM

what exactly is going to be replaced on the g6? is it the whole steering column? after some research on this forum it seems like thats what's for sure needs to be replaced on mine. i get the *clunk** from steering left to right or right to left right as the wheel is completely straight
.. and yes my 6 is equipped with EPS
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM

LONG OVERDUE. I guess those of us who filed complaints were not crazy after all.

2001 Z28 M6 - LS6 Cam, BBK LTs, LID, FRA
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005gt View Post
what exactly is going to be replaced on the g6? is it the whole steering column? after some research on this forum it seems like thats what's for sure needs to be replaced on mine. i get the *clunk** from steering left to right or right to left right as the wheel is completely straight
.. and yes my 6 is equipped with EPS
idk where to even start with this..

sounds like you have other problems. and none of it is the power steering unit

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in