G6 GXP Street Edition wheels are plastic! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

G6 GXP Street Edition wheels are plastic!

I was looking at an 09 G6 GXP Street Edition yesterday and noticed that the chrome tech and black chrome tech wheels are just plastic chrome covers glued to aluminum wheels. The pontiac salesman and my dad were there and noticed that the front left wheel had a part that was cracked and falling off. We took a closer look at it and it was plastic! Has any one else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Uh...yes. OLD, OLD news. The 17" chrome GT wheels used since 2005 are the exact same thing, as are many others on other models. They're not alone, as chrome-clad wheels are common to many, many brands now. Ford is another biggie, who uses a ton of them.

And another variety are styled steel wheels with the same kind of pressed on plastic faces, which gives the look of an aluminum wheel until close inspection--the Saturn Aura XE was one of the first at GM to use these. A-la, the same kind of steel wheel durability and low cost, but the look of upgraded aluminum wheels.

I still don't mind them, but I really prefer my machined all aluminum 18" 5-spokes to all...well, with those chrome-clad 18's from the GXP and GT Sport convertibles in second.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Really, oh well, i'm not happy about that though because if I paid $30k for a car I would want REAL chrome wheels like on our solstice. How is the wobble on your car doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6GTSTREET View Post
Really, oh well, i'm not happy about that though because if I paid $30k for a car I would want REAL chrome wheels like on our solstice. How is the wobble on your car doing?
Yeah, understandable. This is just a new way of making them, that everyone has jumped on.

As for mine...not good. Actually, there's been such a series of plaguing problems, despite me not posting about it, we're a day away from the "final repair attempt". I'll have to start a thread of the 2 month saga sometime
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 PM

Pretty interesting.... At any rate those stock wheels are coming off next summer anyway. I have some 20 inch wheels from my old Grand Prix that I only need bolt adapters for, was just too lazy to do it this summer. I would like to see how it handles with some better rubber underneath it too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Flynn View Post
Pretty interesting.... At any rate those stock wheels are coming off next summer anyway. I have some 20 inch wheels from my old Grand Prix that I only need bolt adapters for, was just too lazy to do it this summer. I would like to see how it handles with some better rubber underneath it too.
What is the tire size of the newer tire?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
What is the tire size of the newer tire?
If I remember... 225/35/20
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Flynn View Post
If I remember... 225/35/20
Post some pics when you're done. I bet it looks sweet!

Mike
MODS;
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Post some pics when you're done. I bet it looks sweet!
Gonna be a while but I will. In the mean here are the wheels on my old 2007 Grand Prix from last summer

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Lifetime Member

Cool rims, whats wrong with the GP? Looks sweet to me!

Mike
MODS;
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Cool rims, whats wrong with the GP? Looks sweet to me!
Long story short:
I was upside down and way over miles in my old 2003 Vibe which I made a mistake in purchasing, not to mention I had a late payment or two. So when I traded the Vibe in for the GP I had to come up with a large amount of money to take care of the upside down part. When it was all said and done, I ended up getting the GP with no money down on GM's D tier credit which made the payment about $380.00 for a base GP on a 27 month lease. The game plan was to keep it for at least 20 months hoping for a pull ahead so I could get out of that high payment for base vehicle. My prayers were answered when GM rolled out the 6 month pull ahead in March of 08 hence why I have the G6 now (almost a G8). Aside from the extras (50,000 bumper to bumper warranty which includes tires and wheels) my payment is now $20.00 less for a fully loaded, faster, more stylish auto that if I decide to keep would give me more value in the end because of it's amenities. Lesson learned... NEVER MISS A CAR PAYMENT MORE THAN 30 DAYS LOL!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Lifetime Member

No doubt! Back in the day,20ish years ago I had a truck repo'd. (I was a good sport about it, after all I was the one who didn't keep my end of the deal.) I knew the week they were coming so I cleaned it up nice. I know its not what most folks would have done but I felt bad enough it was getting repo'd.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 PM

MAANNNNNN!!! They are plastic covers. WTF!! stupid modern GM crap. Now I've gotta go buy real wheels and ditch the fake ones....(Although I think I might get aluminum ones intead of chrome.....)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Kearnel
That plastic nonsense has been around atleast since 03 because my wifes 03 Grand Am GT has em to. I was polishing the wheels one day when my ring got hooked on the back, huh but how I wondered then I looked closer at them and realized it's plastic pressed on there, junk I thought but after 6 years they still look good so I guess that's the upside to them they don't carode cause they can't.

Stolen after 13 years.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Lifetime Member

It wasn't only GM doing this, the plastic helps keep the weight down hence preformance and fuel economy up. The strongest metals cost a lot of money so unless you want to spend an ass load of money on a sports car we'll have to be happy with GM's quick fix. You can mod up your car with the high dollar items then add the price of the mods to the purchase price of your car. Those little adds take the buying price out of the range of the type of car GM had in mind to sell, a fairly priced mid size sport sedan, thats what we bought. If I could afford a Vette or a Beamer I'd get one. Besides, I don't have any issues with the G6 I own.
and Kearnel, your right, they don't carode

Mike
MODS;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in