G6 Convertible - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Post G6 Convertible

The word on the street is that Pontiac is having structural integrity problems as well as glitches with the hardtop on the convertible. It was noted from someone that Pontiac may scrap the convertible even before it is released (thus the date keeps getting pushed back). Of course, this is the word, not the official press release.

Hopefully none of you are waiting for the convertible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 PM

yeah besides issues with design.. i heard that it is going to be in the upper 30's.. somewhere around 37,000.. i understand that it is a hard top drop and something like this from another manufacturer would be much more expensive.. but.. honestly.. who is going to pay near 40,000 for a pontiac convertible.. i don't see a market.. maybe it's just me..
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM

yea the article from Autoweek was posted over on the Grand AM boards last week.
News
Top troubles plague G6 convertible; parts fail on key Pontiac product
ROBERT SHEREFKIN | Automotive News and JASON STEIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/15/05

DETROIT -- General Motors' problems with the Pontiac G6 convertible continue to mount.

Engineering problems already have forced GM to delay the launch of the retractable hardtop from next month until January 2006. Now those troubles threaten to push the start of production further into next year and could lead to cancellation of the program.

The G6 convertible is important to GM because the division desperately needs exciting products. Like the Solstice roadster, the convertible is meant to be a halo vehicle for the brand.

But four supplier and industry sources familiar with the program say the car's hardtop, which is supplied by Karmann USA Inc. of Plymouth, Mich., has flunked durability tests.

The top is supposed to survive two life cycles of openings and closings, for a total of 16,000 to 20,000 cycles, supplier sources say. But a supplier close to the program says the roof has failed after fewer than 10,000 cycles.

A poor fit between the deck lid and rear fenders is another problem, the source says.

'Damaged from the start'

"The whole program has been damaged from the start," one industry analyst says. "There has been a lot that has gone wrong."

Oliver Wehage, a Karmann vice president, insists the top meets GM specifications. He would not provide details of testing, except to say that Karmann in some cases created "overloading situations" for its internal research.

GM spokesman Jim Hopson said the convertible's top "meets and exceeds" all of the automaker's current life-cycle requirements, but declined to say what those requirements are.

"I've never been involved in a vehicle program that didn't have some problems," he says. "Our intention, at this point, is to have the vehicle available in the first quarter of 2006."

That's a slight shift from GM's position of Feb. 28, when it said the convertible would launch in January. Supplier sources say the launch originally was scheduled for September 2005.

GM has thrown two dozen engineers at the problem in a bid to keep the program on track. But GM has minimal experience with the technology. The only recent examples are the retractable hardtops on the Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet SSR.

The tops for both come from outside suppliers.

March target

A GM insider says the automaker needs to begin volume production by March. If that target cannot be met, he says, the program could be shelved because GM would not be able to amortize the vehicle's cost by the time the G6 is redesigned.

The automaker has not disclosed the planned sales volume for the convertible G6, which it has touted as one of the most economical retractable hardtops in the industry. The sticker price has been targeted around $30,000.

Pontiac had planned to bring out the G6 in waves. The sedan debuted last year. A coupe came out this month, and the convertible is next.

To create the convertible, the basic G6 had to be re-engineered because it was not designed to be an open-air vehicle. The convertible needs a stiffened underbody, and the interior must be redesigned to store the hardtop.

In February, a UAW official and a supplier source confirmed that GM had delayed the launch of the convertible four months, to January 2006, because of lingering engineering problems.

Miles Thompson, sales manager at Thompson Sales Co. in Springfield, Mo., which sells GMC, Cadillac, Pontiac and Saab, says his dealership will not order any convertibles until he has a better idea when they will arrive at dealerships.

"I'm not sure when we are going to get them," Thompson says. "We have no idea on allocation."

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Yes, launch was scheduled for Sept of 05 along with the coupe. However, there have been setbacks. January is now the slated release for the convertible. We'd never want to have warranty issues with customers from the start.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:36 PM

Has anyone got an update on when convertibles will start shipping to dealers? Will they be sent evenly through out the US, or fan out by region.
January is time to start shopping for ragtops. (altho the G6 will actually not be a ragtop)

Last edited by Lark60; 01-11-2006 at 08:44 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:37 PM

asked my dealer about it when i went in for maintenance this week...he said they should start to arrive in about 6-8 weeks.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Dealers have begun placing orders.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:00 AM

There is no way in hell I'd spend 37 grand on a Pontiac convertable. Especially not a G6, no offense.

And the fact that Pontiac's website lists it as having substantially less horsepower in the GTP trim makes me say, "w.t.f..."
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:08 AM

especially when you can get a M3 convert for about 40-41,000!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 AM

*sigh*

I guess I'm going to have to defend GM and Pontiac ONCE AGAIN from the wrath of my friends.

Who is in charge of marketing and product planning at GM, because they need the boot and now.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 AM

I think GM has been on a downward slide ever since Rick Wagnor took over.

I'm not defending their high price, but the Saab 9-3 vert stickers at $37k. Now, this ain't no Saab, but it is a hardtop, so it's got something going for it (if you're interested in that). Also, it is the first model year, so I'm sure the price will drop next year (just like the 05 - 06 models).
But seriously, they do need that price much lower if they expect to move a lot of them. Heck, the convertible Firebird weren't that much, were they???

SimplyRed - Where did you find an M3 vert for 40k? The BMW website lists msrp at 56k. You're one hell of a negotiator if you can talk 16 grand off!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM

I acctually meant 325.... for some reason hands typed M3 LOL
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle_Cynicism
There is no way in hell I'd spend 37 grand on a Pontiac convertable.
Where did you get that price from, I haven't heard any formal announcement yet.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:27 PM

At that price the Pontiac would be something like 10k more than a Mustang convertible. The hard convertible top would never sell at that price. That must be incorrect.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:44 PM

Maybe it is in Yen or something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in