2011 Chevrolet Cruze Review - First Drive - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Review - First Drive

Never mind the Cobalt. Forget you ever heard the name Cavalier. The newest compact C-car from Chevrolet is the Cruze – a globally engineered vehicle designed not just to compete in the growing small-car segment, but to win.

And for the first time, well, ever, this isn’t just marketing hype behind a lackluster model with a typically low-grade interior.

Already on sale in 60 countries worldwide, this global platform still has a few surprises for its North American debut. Most notably is the launch of a new turbocharged 1.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, designed to deliver the power and driving experience of a larger powerplant with class leading fuel economy. In fact, Chevy claims an ECO model (with a 6-speed manual transmission) will get 40-mpg on the highway. An automatic ECO model will get slightly less, with standard models most likely in the mid 30s range – although no official numbers have yet to be released.

The engine looks tiny in the cavernous space under the hood, its puny turbocharger about the size of a fist. Yet despite its size, the 1.4 delivers both power and fuel economy. During our day with the Cruze, we registered an average of 27-mpg (under what can easily be considered harder than average driving conditions). As for power, the little engine makes a total of 138-hp and 148 ft-lbs of torque, with that torque number coming on strong at 1850 rpm.

More: 2011 Chevy Cruze First Drive at AutoGuide.com

Last edited by AutoGuide.com; 07-30-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Not for me

I test drove the Cruze last weekend, an Automatic with the Turbo, and yawn...

I tried the manual shift mode out and that left a lot to be desired. And the pick up was way under what I was expecting. From a stop, foot to the floor, you got several sequences of odd noises, like an old person struggeling to get up some stairs. Then after a few seconds the care would start to move, and get up over 30 mph. The ride was choppy, and while there was ok power to move from 50 mph to 65 mph, it still wasnt a ton of power.

Overall the interior felt cheap, oddly not as cheap as the Camaros interior.

On an upside, it is better than the Cobalt, it has tons of room, tons of airbags, and does look good.

--
No I do not drive a V8 Super Charged Triple Turbo Super Car, my only car is a '07 Pontiac G6 I4 2.4L, so I was going from really big and slow to the Cruze which was slower and smaller and more expensive, so I was disappointed. My mom has a '06 Saab 9-3 Turbo and to be honest I was hoping for something alteast close to that, given this was a 2011 and GM should have atleast some ex-Saab employees, I figured they could have mode something a little better.

--
I would likely save 1/2 the money and buy a used V6 G6 instead.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

my G6s are the last GMs I will ever buy!!!! I am tired of dealing with incompetent and uneducated sales and service departments.Ive taken my car to the dealer at least 5 times for the same raddling in my roof i took it in 3 times for the same popping noise in the front end and the first time specificaly told them that the cv axel was bad the third time it was in the shop they replaced the cv axel and the popping noise stopped and they had just replaced a bushing in my covertable top for the fourth time and the front main seal on my engine was leaking and i was told by the service manager that it was a seep not a leak LMAO!!! i called the service department and asked them if things are covered under the certified warranty and most of the time the response was idk i go on a gm website and it says plain as day that it is but this is enough of my rant for today!! P.S. i think ill be buying a taurus sho or F150 RAPTOR next !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by milk man; 10-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I like the SHO!!! But its $47 grand....Think I'd rather have a used Shelby Mustang GT350 with a supercharger for that much.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Roommate has a new SHO. That's one hell of a car!!! performance is actually astonishing, not to mention the features.

Black 2005 Pontiac G6 GT: (SOLD)
Mods: uPAC-GM11B Aux Input, red painted calipers, Black Arrowhead overlays, and CRAB Intakes.
Orange 1971 Ford F-100 Sport Custom:
Completely Stock -302ci
Silver 2010 GMC Sierra GFX edition: (SOLD)
Stock
Granite 2015 Chrysler 200c
Stock
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 AM
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe

try to put 4 people in a mustang!! that is why i am driving a G6 convertable and not a mustang convertable.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I just don't understand why Chevy has to offer two engine options that offer similar power. I'd think Chevy would save more money by focusing on one engine.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonamt93 View Post
I just don't understand why Chevy has to offer two engine options that offer similar power. I'd think Chevy would save more money by focusing on one engine.
And focus on getting the turbo right in this car, major turbo fail in this thing. I had to check the sticker to make sure it really had one.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
And focus on getting the turbo right in this car, major turbo fail in this thing. I had to check the sticker to make sure it really had one.
It's a Cruze LT and LTZ... it's not meant to be "fast" If they can get it right with the cobalt SS then I'm sure if/when they decide to produce a Cruze SS it'll provide all the power you need. The Cruze base model is an economy car and has no need for a large turbo.

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead852 View Post
It's a Cruze LT and LTZ... it's not meant to be "fast" If they can get it right with the cobalt SS then I'm sure if/when they decide to produce a Cruze SS it'll provide all the power you need. The Cruze base model is an economy car and has no need for a large turbo.
I can get around the idea that this car wasn't meant to go fast, I figured with a turbo in such a small car that it would be fast. Either way, the fact still remains that I drove a Cruze with 5 miles on it and a turbo, and when I put the pedal down it made lots of weird noises, none of which were good, and yes I know what a turbo sounds like, and I never heard that, just weird transmission and engine noises. The car looks cool, and has a decent interior but the engine sucks for everything, even if you get over the slowness, it makes sounds that would make you want to take it to your mechanic and ask him if it was ok or now.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Yeah but it's a small turbo on a very small motor. It's also tuned for reliability and mpg not performance. I'm sure GM will have something special for the SS model =)

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

2012 Chevy Cruze Hatchback was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show

Quote:
According to General Motors, 65% of all compact cars sold in Europe are hatchback versions. That is why the company decided to build a hatchback. The 2012 Chevrolet Cruze five-door hatchback (HB5) was presented at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show. The new vehicle attracts the customers with useful rear cargo space, better fuel economy, sportier and sleeker body with front and rear overhangs comparing to the previous four-door version.

The new body style looks sharper and sportier, with short overhangs. In profile, the sloped roofline, spoiler, and steep rear glass create a look akin to that of the Subaru Impreza hatchback. There are even LED front accent lights, but whether they will make the leap from this show car to production is unknown.

Pontiac G6 http://www.carid.com/pontiac-g6-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm considering trading my G6 for a Cruze, but after reading this I'm having second thoughts about it.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaalear View Post
I'm considering trading my G6 for a Cruze, but after reading this I'm having second thoughts about it.
I absolutely hate the cruze. My mom had to rent one after someone wrecked her grand prix gt. I figured is drive it to keep the miles of the g6 due to commuting 100 miles a day at the time. I drove it to work and then had my dad come swap me out and give me my g6 back. It has no get up and go even for having a turbo and then when you do step on it, it makes the wierdest noises. As mentioned before. Yes it was a rental, but the car had 15 miles on it so of course we were the first to use it.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The "Upgrades"
Alienationz Eyelids: LEDs in the map, dome, trunk, and license plate: Racingline STB bar: 5% window tint all around and a windshield brow

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Thank you for replying. I'm supposed to go check one out, but I think I'll back out of it. For a 2011 1LT(I think it is) they want my 2010 g6 gt with 35,300 miles plus $10,000.

2010 G6 GT Black 41,000 miles. Under GMPP Major Guard warranty until 112,000 miles.

~Regina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in