Ethanol? Not for me! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Ethanol? Not for me!

I’ve been hearing about the newer laws that will require 85% ethanol mixed in with our gasoline and I’m not happy about it.
I understand the need to reduce harmful emissions into the atmosphere but when is it going to end? Unless you own a car equipped to run pure ethanol you are going to loose horse power and get worse fuel economy. Since the news of increased ethanol I did a search to find ethanol free gasoline in my area and I was quite pleased to see I have several of them.

Quote:
MPG. FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25–30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanol’s lower energy content.2

So far I’ve had to rebuild two carburetors, one on my lawn mower and the other on my power generator do to ethanol damage. Since I found the E-free fuel stations I’ve become a regular customer. It may be my imagination but I find my two cars run better on 100% gasoline.
Does anyone else find this “Ethanol” issue a hassle?

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

http://pure-gas.org/

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I know ive heard about people using it in their cars that arent designed for E85, and it ends up corroding their whole fuel system.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM

same here, i absolutely HATE ethanol with a passion, i can get around 35-36mpg at 75mph EASY on 100% gas..........if i fill up with gas that has any ethanol in it i cant get much more than 23-24mpg under the same conditions and the fuel economy doesnt improve until i run a bottle of injector cleaner thru either............ive found that some places that DONT have ethanol in their gas even advertise that they dont lol

not to mention that it takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the energy that ethanol can provide..........this is just further proof that for the most part the government is full of idiots lol

heres a pic i took at a pump i think in wisconsin, on my way home from montana earlier this year.......

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 AM
Professional geek

In California we have all kinds of crap additives in our gas, with the winter blends being particularly crappy. Many of the lower-priced gas stations, and even some of the majors, include anywhere from 5 to 20% ethanol. Most don't disclose this. It's done partially for profit, and partially because of our clean-air regulations.

Ah, California. Nice weather most of the time, tons of things to do and places to see, and some of the most asinine and crippling laws in the country.

~ MattInSoCal
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Mike, I think the EPA decision was for 15%, i.e. E15, not E85. If we all had to sudden had to drive on E85, the interstate would be lined with broke down cars. Whatever percentage it's stupid.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
Mike, I think the EPA decision was for 15%, i.e. E15, not E85. If we all had to sudden had to drive on E85, the interstate would be lined with broke down cars. Whatever percentage it's stupid.
I agree, I was quoting the article;

Quote:
E85

E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers. To determine if your vehicle can use E85, consult your owner’s manual or check the inside of your car's fuel filler door for an identification sticker.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately, none are close to me...ho hum

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
The number refers to the ethanol percentage, 85% in the summer blend with 15% gasoline and other products. If it were only 15% ethanol, well that's what you can find already in many pumps.

~ MattInSoCal
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Jimmy B.

wooo... subsidized energy that's actually significantly less efficient and puts strain on our corn supply... I bet democrats voted that one in

Jimmy

Back in BLUE
Mods: custom grill ram-air intake, stock airbox w/ K&N drop-in filter, and custom engine paint
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbales View Post
wooo... subsidized energy that's actually significantly less efficient and puts strain on our corn supply... I bet democrats voted that one in
Corn used in ethanol is not the same that is used for food. The farm right behind my house grows corn just for ethanol and others when they rotate.

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

^^ So, we can't eat the corn they grow for ethanol? Just asking.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Fried like a Cheese Stick

09 White Diamond Tricoat 'vert here!

Now with CRABs, STBs, & The Heart Ruling The Mind!

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 PM

E10 has been around forever in Illinois and as a reformed hot rodder I never heard of anyone ever having any issues running it in ANY kind of regular use motor. Personally, I hate the stuff because we're technically paying full price for diluted gasoline but there's no getting away from it as the Corn lobby is absolutely huge and growing (nyuk nyuk nyuk) everyday. E85 on the other hand has become popular on the dragstrip but it definitely gets MUCH less MPG than E10 and is only worth using if the price per gallon is more than 30% cheaper than regular unleaded. Unfortunately as the oil nazis are artificially jacking up fuel prices I have a feeling E85 will once again gain the momentum it had a couple of years ago at the last butt-raping we all took at the pump and it ain't going away.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
In theory you can but it's feed corn and would taste like crap. If you don't believe this is all a vast conspiracy by the corn lobby look at all the government incentives given to corn farmers over the past 15 years. Farm-Aid definitely isn't needed anymore!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Not from what the farmer told me. But he may just be trying to keep me from picking free corn at dinner time. =P

Lima... where the men outnumber the women and the women outweigh the men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in