Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Greetings from a newbie

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  solidhadriel 
#1 ·
Hello everybody!

I've been suffering from a desire for a G6 convertible since they first came out. Probably this is due to having been astonished by a '59 Ford Skyliner when I was a small child. (These childhood traumas are not easy to get over.)

I don't need another car at all; I have other rides, including the (wonderful) Riviera in my avatar. This is purely a midlife crisis longing.

So I've signed up here to learn some more about the cars, and try to decide whether it will be cheaper to go for it, or invest in the therapy to get over it. :)

#5 ·
Just not White Diamond Tricoat - about 1/3 of the 2009's came in it so everyone would know you're just following the crowd :axechase:

Yeah the Skyliners were pretty cool - and think of the mega trunk space with the top up :D

Anyway, vert ownership definitely has its ups & downs (har!). Seriously - it's extremely cool having it and the hardtop is nice in the winter, but I've had this thing in the shop just about as many times in the last year as my last 3 cars covering 12 years :banghead:

So I say, take the good & bad and go for it! Just...not WDT :p

#6 ·
but I've had this thing in the shop just about as many times in the last year as my last 3 cars
Yes, this is the sort of thing I came here to learn. What goes wrong with the convertibles? What about that complex top mechanism? Does it hold up? Take a lot of maintenance?

I have to say, my experience is colored by a couple of Grand Prixs I had years ago. They were stylish and fast enough and I did like them, but I wouldn't call either one a high-quality car. So the idea of a Pontiac with Skyliner complexity gives me pause.

#9 ·
Haha well my last 3 cars were all Grand Prix's and they were all pretty reliable (97 GTP that I sold in 2003 with 95,000 miles for an 04 Comp G, then traded in the 04 for an 05 Comp G 18 months later to get the Nav and a few other 05 goodies {not the greatest financial move but I was young & foolish back then}, then traded in the 05 Comp G with 62,000 miles for the G6 vert in 2009).

And pretty much all of the issues have involved the top this past summer - getting the Top Not Secure message; taking anywhere from 2-6 tries before it opens; once the trunk got stuck and had to be pried open :icon_chin

Still worth it IMO; just depends on your overall priorities :beer:

#14 ·
Well, logic would dictate the less use the better. I've got it going up & down pretty constantly in the summer - put it down when I go home from work then put it in the garage, then go to work with it down and put it up when I get to work; plus the sporadic trips where you put it down then have to put it up when you get there, then put it down again when you leave. The upshot being it's going through at least 1 up & 1 down cycle per day, and occasionally more.

Now the first summer I had no problems at all. Had it up all winter of course and the 2nd summer rolls around and issues galore. Will have to see how this summer goes :bolt:

#15 ·
Welcome, I have an 06 G6 gtp and I absolutely love it! I came from a 00' Grand Prix gt, and a 05' Cobalt ss/sc, and I still have a 01' grand prix gtp! i say do it but of course i would! good luck and I hope you find all the answers you need!

#16 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, everybody!

Droptop, I am not surprised that your top was troublesome after the winter. I've always found that mechanical things not used regularly give the most trouble. I've had more trouble with passenger's side power seats and rear door windows than probably anything else. So I consider that valuable info--if I do take the plunge, I would probably try to open the top a few times each winter.

#24 ·
Lol! Only took 6 tries. Nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.