Pontiac G6 Forum banner

About to give up

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  becksmerc 
#1 ·
I'm about to give up on my G6 & sell it. I have had nothing but bad luck with it and I think it's because I like it so much. As far as mechanical it runs excellent!! This goes back to "01"when I bought my first Pontiac grand am. I loved that car & had nothing but bad luck with it. First a wreck which did $5,000 in damage in the first 30 days, then hit a deer another $2,000, then a cracked windshield $300 and a few other little scratches here & there.

Well then I get my "10" g6 and first night my sister swings the door open at walmart and put's a ding in the door. Then some scrapes something down my headlight, looked like maybe a cart. Next sitting at McDonald's drive thru a guy hits me. I've also got a few other scratches from who knows what. After that my nephew threw a bike down by my car and put two dings in it. Well yesterday and what has me thinking of just getting rid of it the brother to my other nephew was riding his bike and ran it down the side of my car so now it has a scratch all the way down the fender. Oh and I forgot to add when I had it two weeks I hit a pot hole and bent a wheel. Now I'm thinking I might need to just get rid of it and get something I don't like as much. See the car I got after the grand am and before the g6 I hated and nothing ever happened to it.
I know this sounds stupid, but I'm very frustrated. What do you all think? Does stuff happen to your cars also or is it just my bad luck? Thanks for listening.

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't feel bad, my 6 has dents all over the passenger side and the rear quater panel is all dent to $h!t, all from my ex. I went to get an estimate about a year ago it was about $1200, I still haven't fixed it since I wanted to mod it before making it look good again.

Now a days I park my car on the last rows as far as possible.

#3 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only whose had problems. My mother in law said it just isn't meant for you to have a nice car. It's made me very frustrated that when I do have a nice car something happens to it. My husband got a settlement & was able to finally buy me a car straight out with no financing and everything is going wrong with it. I think I'm going to get a estimate for a paint job and the fix the dings in it. I'll have to save for it but I really need it to get it back to new. From on I'm taking your advice and parking far away from everyone. It seems like wal-mart is the wrong place to park. Thanks so much for replying & not thinking I'm crazy. :)

#5 ·
I deffinitley park away from EVERYONE...even when im at work. My friend just bought his Acura about 5 months ago...he came to work someone put a basketball size dent in it and drove off...not a good day at the office for him. lol. But yeaa i always do whatever i can to prevent dents and dings in mine...i park away from everyone even if it means and unneccessary walk for me. Dont give up on the 6..lol. I love mine oh so much :p, Obviously alot of your issues are becuz of stupid things out of your control. And seem like alot of your own family members too lol, maybe you need to talk with them and make sure they respect your car when they're around it. Alot of those could have been avoided. Good luck with it and i hope you keep it! ---Alex//>

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I agree my family is a lot of the problem. I threatened to beat my sister so now she is very careful lol. My nephews though are 9 & 6 and don't listen to me and their parents don't care. They let them abuse their vehicles and it's ok. Their mom (my sister in law) took over payments on the car I had before getting the 6 and they have tore the seats, wrote on it, dinged it, and put scratches all over it. Before I gave it to her it looked new. For some reason they just do not discipline their children. I'm definitely going to start parking away from everyone to try to prevent others. Now I just have to figure out how to get my family to quit damaging it. I've already said I'm not going back to my brothers. I guess when they come over my house I will have to watch their every move. What really irritates me is when my nephew ran his bike down the side of it his parents did nothing. I heard it & said oh no and my sister in law looked at me and said did he hit your car? Then my brother went over and looked & just said oh man he put a big scratch on it. He tried to rub it off and that was it so I left and told my husband I will never go back there again because they don't watch them.

#8 ·
Thats hella messed up i cant believe your own family wont ATLEAST try to pay for it? I mean i understand there little but thats not an excuse. All parenting aside, the bottom line is they're responsible for there own kids. I would seriously make them pay for that shit. I know i would make my sister pay me if 1 of my nephews scratched my car lol. I mean, not tryna be a dick but...that stuff isnt cheap. Why should you suffer? I admire your niceness but dont let people take advantage of you. Sadly the people that take advantage of you more than anyone is your own family sometimes becus they know you and wat they can get away with.

#9 ·
Suggestion: And even this is doing too much becuz imo you shouldnt have to do this and you may think its 'too much' but it would help on scratches. What if when you went to certain places where u think it will get damaged (your brothers) buy a car cover and put over your car to prevent easy scratches? May not prevent the dings...i mean im not sure how thick these things are and etc...But i mean it could help. Just a thought.

#10 ·
wow - made my skin crawl just hearing about your stories.

I am the same way - whenever I start paying attention to the car more thats when things start to happen. Perhaps its because we are paying closer attention to it rather than just turning it on and using it as transportation. None the less - hope you able to get it fixed.

P.s. I like the idea of the cover. I park far away from people as well, I've even been known to be the jerk who takes up 2 parking spaces.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone. I actually went out and looked around a few car lots to see what other options there were, but after all that I realized I couldn't get rid of my 6. I didn't see anything else I would of been happy with. I have been Parking as far away from everyone as I can get and pushing any carts into the return that I see left out around me. As for my family I haven't been back over my brothers. My husband agrees with you all, he said if it was his car they would be paying to have It fixed. I guess I need to just quit trying to be so easy going. Thanks for all the replies I'm glad to see people agree with me & don't think I'm crazy about a car. All of my family says it's just a car! To me it's the best car & I want to keep it nice and they just don't get it. :)

#15 ·
I think thats the problem right there. "Its Just A Car"...That is a stupid comment. Well the point is...its YOUR CAR. and hey, you choose to keep it looking nice. As all of us here do as well. Whats wrong with that? Like i said earlier...its about respect. They need to Respect your property. Its a CAR...shits expensive! Its not a shirt that accidentally got a stain or something. You have every right to be anal about it. I know i am. Keep ur head up we support you!

#18 ·
Yeah that's a huge part of the problem. To them a car is just something that you drive from point A to point B until it just won't go anymore and doesn't matter what it looks like. To me it's something that needs to look good and be taken care of. They all make jokes about me saying if I'm not cleaning my car I'm thinking about it. I've owned 3 new cars in my life including my 6 and everyone of them have looked just as good when I got rid of them as they did the day I got them. They also ran as good as new. My first was 01 grand am kept it 4 years and still looked & ran like new, next was 05 Taurus which I hated, but still took care of it. That's the one I sold my sister in law and it looks like junk & barely runs now. Then my G6 which I got in Feb and plan to keep for a Very long time! I'm so glad to see there are others out there who also enjoy taking care of their cars because nobody in my family does. As always thanks for listening! :D

#17 ·
That's a good idea. I may look into that. They all know I have full coverage insurance, but I don't feel I should have to use my insurance for something they've done.

#20 ·
Well it happened again today. My sisters son who is 4 scratched my car today with a toy saw. This time I'm making my sister pay for it. The other nephews were my brothers kids now one of my sisters 3 have scratched it. Then as my sister was walking past the car she bumped right into the side mirror. I told her from now on nobody is riding in it other than my kids & husband. I can't seem to get a break. :-(

#22 ·
This situation is kinda legitly starting to piss me off. Wtf is wrong with these people. like forreal. Do they just let their kids run rampid and destroy all of your shit? This is seriously rediculous. Good for u for finally making someone pay for the torture that they put on ur poor car. godddd.....well, atleast it will be fixed. goodluck and keep us posted :) one of these days there will be a happy post about how it hasnt been scratched in years. maybe we should start a scratch thread and we'll put 'days since a scratch' count-ups. lol.

#23 ·
i'm about to have a heart attack just reading this and i'm 16.
What the hell sorry i mean what the heck is wrong with people these days, my car is like part of me, evrey poth hole i accidentally drove in i'ts like a punch in my stomach!!!!

let a lone bumps and scratches!!!!
i'ts time to put your foot down and put some boundries, like now!!!

i hope they pay you cuz i will prob sue for EMOTIONAL DISTRESS.

#24 ·
I know they never seem to watch their kids. I was giving my sister & her son a ride and I had already got in the car. My sister & her husband was standing beside him while putting in his carseat and neither one of them ever seemed to notice. I'm always worried about my car because I live near the mines and there are overfilled coal trucks, messed up roads, and a few rough railroad tracks and I think my family does more damage than any of that. I would love to move away from the area though because I've had 2 broken windshields on my previous car. I've already bent a wheel on my 6 from the potholes and now I have rock chips from the coal trucks. I hope to save up for a paint job soon. I took a picture of my newest scratch I'll share it with you all. :(

#25 ·
here's a picture of it. The scratch is actually longer, but I got all of it I could fit in the picture. I drew a line around it so you all could see it better.

#28 ·
You definitely should make them pay for that! That scratch is ridiculous!

I'm the dick that at the store takes up the 4 parking spaces near the end of the row... But it keeps Angel from getting all scratched up.

As for the rock chips in the front and everything, you might want to think about getting a car bra... It's not a perfect solution, but it will keep the paint from getting chipped up in the front. I have been thinking about getting one mainly for bugs. The bugs around here are stupid large.

#30 · (Edited)
I'm the dick that at the store takes up the 4 parking spaces near the end of the row... But it keeps Angel from getting all scratched up.
HA! i do the same thing.. i park as far away as possible and i park diagonally so know one can park close to me. my fiance thinks im nuts, but ive got 1 door ding, it i refuse to let it happen again!

as for those scratches... if they were my nieces and nephews, id be busting some ass... and they're parents would be paying for it.. no body respects anyone's property anymore, kids are brought up in a "dont touch if its not yours" world anymore, i got spanked if I touched the candy in the isles at the grocery store... was told if you dont have the money to buy then dont touch it... im sorry about your car. hope it gets better for you.

ive heard that the bras for cars can tear up paint as well, so maybe just increase your following distances and drive a littler slower on the bad roads... ive been 2 wheels on my 6 already, had to replace them both because they wouldnt hold air... ive learnt my lesson lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.