sla31's GXP! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

sla31's GXP!

Hello all!

I use to be way more active here than I have been in the last year or so. Life has just gotten in the way.

My old member ride tread titled the same as this one was so messed up because of photos changing on photobucket it was just easier to start a new thread.

I have a interesting story to go along with the beginning of this thread. A little over a year ago I bought new wheels and tires form Discount Tire Direct. The wheels I wanted were out of stock so since I needed new tires soon, and wasn't sure when DTD was going to get them back in I went with my second choice. Pics below.

Then after they had been on my ride for over a year I get a email from DTD saying there is reason to believe my wheels may be defective, and they are going to replace them free of charge as well as close to $200 off a new set of tires. So now my first choice of wheels were in stock! And here they are! Please excuse the car being dirty. Needs a wash... Not trying to steel Lampoon's thunder as I know he has these as well, but they look so good I had to get them. And FREE is not a bad price.

DTD was very professional through the experience, and any company that is willing to make things right on their own without me complaining over a year after I bought the wheels is a company worth spending more money with in the future. They may have lost money on this deal with me now, but because of their stellar customer service they will make it up in the future as I now plan to use them for all of my tire and wheel needs.

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Legend

Garage
That is a very nice 6! What year is it? Love the look of it

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10929
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
G6's resident led guru

Garage
are those 18 inchers they look gorgeous. i want a gxp sedan now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Great looking G6!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J dog View Post
That is a very nice 6! What year is it? Love the look of it
Thanks man! It is a 2009. And I have to say before I owned this car, which I've had for 2 and 1/2 years now, I wasn't sure if I'd like a white car. But I have really grown to love it, and with this set of wheels, and I'm about to get the windows tinted it does look sharp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksmerc View Post
are those 18 inchers they look gorgeous. i want a gxp sedan now
Actually they are 17s. I was very nervous when I chose these wheels since they were 17s. I'd always had 18s on it. The original wheels were 18s and the first set of after market wheels I had, pictured above, were 18s. But I think these look the best, and really the 1 inch smaller really isn't that noticable. I love my GXP sedan. Although I also love the looks of the coupe it is very nice to have 4 doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Great looking G6!
Thanks man! I really love this car, and really enjoy driving it. I'll work on rebuilding this thread with all the mods I've made that you can't see in the pictures above!

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

Here is the complete updated thread of all mods made to the car.

First a little story of how I came to get my G6 GXP. I had a G5 GT and wanted a G6 GXP, but I couldn't afford it at the time. I was driving by the dealer where I bought the G5 and saw a white G6 GXP parked behind the dealer. So curious as I was I stopped and asked if I could see it. Low and behold It was a brand new 2009 G6 GXP that one of the dealers employee's had wrecked. Nothing bad just cosmetic body damage. They had side swipped a street sign down the passenger side of the car. Couple pics.

A closer up at the worst part

So being the awesome negotiator that I am I asked them if it was still for sale. At first they said no, that they were going to get it fixed then sell it for a discounted price. But I told them that I'd take it off their hands and they wouldn't have to file a insurance claim on it. So they said ok and offered it to me for $19,000. I got them down to $16,250 and became the proud owner of new G6 GXP. After $2,000 at my body shop I had a brand new G6 GXP with no accident or history of body work on a carfax (because it was never turned into insurance) all for only $18,250. Here is a pic the day it was finished!

The only remaining damage from the accident is this rim which Pontiac wanted a huge amount of money for a new one, and I figured I was just going to get new rims anyways so I left it.

The first mod I did to the car was seat covers and a steering wheel cover. But there not important enough to show pics of. The first notable thing I did was add a hammerhead spoiler! Because I bought the car the way I did I didn't get to order it the way I would have had it.

I have removed the dealer sticker since these pictures were taken. Next I took the GXP logos off the side of the car. But left the one on the trunk! Then I added a Pontiac decal across the back window!

I wanted a large Pontiac decal, but I didn't want it to be overbearing so I put it on the back instead of across the windshield.

Then I added a new GXP emblem inside the car on the dash board, so every passenger in my knew they were in a GXP!

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

Then new wheels would come next! And they look fantastic! These replaced the damaged original wheels which were damaged in the accident.

And then you have the final product as of now!

So most of what I have done is little, and all of it is appearance. I plan to get a new hood with hood scoops, and tint the windows. Then I plan on some performance mods. Hope everyone likes it! I'll add to this thread whenever I add something new! Thanks for reading!

Here are some notable pics from my cars life. (All of these were taken before the new wheels.)

In the snow.

With her slightly more curvy sister.

My friend taking his girl to Prom in my 6!

Just some good shots of it after a cleaning. One with it's little sister.

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

And just some great shots.

Since I was going for the vintage look, one in black and white.

And of couse as shown in post one of this thread these are the wheels that are now on the car.

Hope you enjoyed!

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP

Last edited by sla31; 05-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 AM

Looks sweet.

Performance
CRABS o3, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, WAMS Performance tune, Racingline STB

Exterior
Platinum Apex Rims (18x8), Hankook v2 215/45R18, Painted calipers (Red), Complete debadge , Handle Overlays (Gloss Black), Arrow Overlays (Gloss Black), Grille Lighting (White LED's), Tinted Tails (2 coats VHT Niteshades), Painted Battery Cover (Silver with Red), Painted Engine Cover (Silver with Red), Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights (Black Housing), Upper Recessed Grilles (Chrome)

Audio
2 12" Memphis Subs (15-MCP12S4)
600watt Sony X-plod Amp
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Legend

Garage
Where did you get the hammerhead spoiler? Is it specific for the sedan? Or does the coupe one work?

J DOG

MODS
35% windshield, 10% all the way around, 20" Forte F55 Banshee's, custom painted interior, HVAC replace blue LEDS, PYLE double din dvd player, custom trunk with 2 12" Memphis-street edge subs, back up camera, blue LEDs under dash and dome, 2 blue strobe strips in trunk, tinted tails, blue LED reverse lights, debadged, front badge overlay, eyelids, 6000k lows/fogs, added oem projector fogs, third brake light overlay , shift boot added, blacked out grille, blue leds in grille, Canuck springs, BMD endlinks, res delete, R1 D/S rotors, blue calipers

Progression
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchd17 View Post
Looks sweet.
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Where did you get the hammerhead spoiler? Is it specific for the sedan? Or does the coupe one work?

I bought it not long after I originally bought the car from a seller on ebay. I cannot find any on there now. It is specific to the sedan, and the coupe version will not work on the sedan so make sure if you buy one that it is the sedan version. Although I can't find one on ebay for the sedan right now I'd assume you could order one thorugh a GM dealer still. I had to buy mine primed, and have it painted when it arrived. Hopefully that helps.

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla31 View Post
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

I bought it not long after I originally bought the car from a seller on ebay. I cannot find any on there now. It is specific to the sedan, and the coupe version will not work on the sedan so make sure if you buy one that it is the sedan version. Although I can't find one on ebay for the sedan right now I'd assume you could order one thorugh a GM dealer still. I had to buy mine primed, and have it painted when it arrived. Hopefully that helps.
Cool yeah ill make sure I don't buy the wrong one lol it looks awesome on your car. I used to hate it and think it looked stupid the few times I saw it before I ever owned my G6 but after looking more at them. And one of my buddies has a gxp coupe I actually like it a lot. And I really like it on the sedan. I've been looking at spoilers for a while and couldn't decide but I have now on the hammerhead for the sedan. It just looks right for the car.

J DOG

MODS

Progression
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Really nice! And great story of how you got it! I like the old wheels you had on it, Similar to the style I'm looking at and it gave me a good idea of the look!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
GXP Owner!

Quote:
Cool yeah ill make sure I don't buy the wrong one lol it looks awesome on your car. I used to hate it and think it looked stupid the few times I saw it before I ever owned my G6 but after looking more at them. And one of my buddies has a gxp coupe I actually like it a lot. And I really like it on the sedan. I've been looking at spoilers for a while and couldn't decide but I have now on the hammerhead for the sedan. It just looks right for the car.

I think the way you feel is the way a lot of people feel about the hammerhead spoiler. My girlfriend hated it. Absolutely hated it when I first put it on. Now though she's told me she actually likes it now. One of my good friends is the same way too. He said he didn't much care for it originally. He thought it was too over the top, but now he says it's really grown on him, and he told me the other day he really liked it. So it seems to be one of those things that just grows on people. I think it's very unique and just isn't something you see every day. Best of luck finding one! I'm sure you can find one somewhere. If I see one I'll let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Really nice! And great story of how you got it! I like the old wheels you had on it, Similar to the style I'm looking at and it gave me a good idea of the look!
Thanks! It's definitely a story I've told plenty of times now. People don't believe me sometimes. I have to get the pictures out before they will. I liked the old ones too, but they really did have problems. After 6 tries to balance them and two attempts to align them they always had a terrible vibration and pulled very hard to the left. Sometimes better than others. I always thought it was the tires. We even had one replaced by DTD. But after receiving the email from DTD and doing some looking now that we knew it was probably the wheels and not the tires we found that one of the wheels was indeed defective, and had been causing the problems the whole time. Now with the new wheels and tires the ride is once again smooth, no road noise, no pulling, no vibration. This new set is much better in that regard.

Bryce

2007 G5 GT
2009 G6 GXP
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla31 View Post
I think the way you feel is the way a lot of people feel about the hammerhead spoiler. My girlfriend hated it. Absolutely hated it when I first put it on. Now though she's told me she actually likes it now. One of my good friends is the same way too. He said he didn't much care for it originally. He thought it was too over the top, but now he says it's really grown on him, and he told me the other day he really liked it. So it seems to be one of those things that just grows on people. I think it's very unique and just isn't something you see every day. Best of luck finding one! I'm sure you can find one somewhere. If I see one I'll let you know!

Thanks! It's definitely a story I've told plenty of times now. People don't believe me sometimes. I have to get the pictures out before they will. I liked the old ones too, but they really did have problems. After 6 tries to balance them and two attempts to align them they always had a terrible vibration and pulled very hard to the left. Sometimes better than others. I always thought it was the tires. We even had one replaced by DTD. But after receiving the email from DTD and doing some looking now that we knew it was probably the wheels and not the tires we found that one of the wheels was indeed defective, and had been causing the problems the whole time. Now with the new wheels and tires the ride is once again smooth, no road noise, no pulling, no vibration. This new set is much better in that regard.
awesome! yeah i had only ever seen it like once or twice and thought it was way over the top but now i really like it lol it gives it the aggressive fast sports car look. and like i said before i think it reallt works on the sedan. being that its a big spoiler and the sedan is a bigger body car (obviously) than the coupe it gives it the big beefy aggressive look IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Members' Rides

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in