Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Sunroof Snarled!

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CruisinG6 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 2006 G6 sedan with the panoramic sunroof here in Victoria, BC. The sunroof stopped working one day and the dealer told me, after working on it for hours, that it could not be fixed and the whole assembly needed to be replaced. He told me that he would try to find a used one since they cost about $2100 new.

He still hasn't found one, and I haven't been able to either. I am really open to suggestions about where I could find one of these. I've been trying to figure out the stock number but I'm still not certain.

Another thought that crossed my mind was getting the glass panels removed and getting one big piece of glass installed, effectively making it a non-retractable moonroof. Is that even possible? If so, could it be cheaper than getting a new sunroof assembly? I would really appreciate any insight you guys could offer.

#3 ·
I have an 05 with the same sunroof and mine is broke too but u do t have to replace the glass just the track the glass is what is so expensive the track at my dealer here in Dover de is around 750 ish and another. 400 to put in mine won't open but just a little and that is what is wrong with mine just the track hopefully this helps u and I also saw the part online before for under 600 I have never seen the glass be the problem and they have to take the glass out first to replace it anyways so dont let then tell u u need the glass too if it's not vroke

#8 ·
i can't say for sure ,as i haven't seen but i assume the cable broke-and since it's built into the frame, the assembly needs to be replaced. i was lucky enought to get a used one from a great guy on here pretty easy install in a few hours with some knowledge and skill. i had found one at a wrecker around here for $350-sorta reasonable. i LOVE having my sunroof back

#9 ·
Replacement Part!

I have an 05 Pontiac G6 with the Pano sunroof. It won't open anymore. It first started to get stuck on the first panel before it stopped moving completely.

Is this problem the same for most panoramic sunroof owners? and is it usually the same cause? I want to know if it is just the assembly the needs to be replaced. Because as far as I know, i'm pretty sure most of the parts work just fine, so why replace the whole thing for $2500 here in vancouver.

I miss my sunroof, i haven't had it open in almost 2 years! :(

Was the assembly easy to install? How do I find out if the motor is dead as well, when I moved the dial you use to hear it respond, but now there isn't any sound coming from it at all, is that just because the panels won't open anyways?

I appreciate any help I can get! I love my car, been driving it almost 7 years, and only have 120,000km on it. If i plan on driving it for many more years to come, i think i'd like to have the sunroof work again!

Cheers!

#12 ·
It first I was bummed I didn't get any kind of sunroof, Now I'm feeling better knowing I didn't have to deal with leaking water issues and it simply going out.

But that sux how they all seem to just go out. You would think they would build them stronger.
I wonder if it's just the motor that went out and you can replace just that. Or find what did go out and go after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.