Pontiac G6 Forum banner

automatic headlights

26K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  xenon2000 
#1 ·
i have a 2005 g6 and the auto headlights are on all the time no matter if its sunny or out not.
shouldnt the sensor be keeping them off when its light enough out? could the sensor be bad? or just a short or something in the wiring?

#2 · (Edited)
nope thats right, the auto headlight feature senses when its getting dark and it turns on your headlights, running lights ,and interior lights for you, you can disable this feature when you turn your car on, just flip the headlight switch back. Now if your talking about your actual headlights being on, those are your day time running lights that are on, so unless you pull your DRL fuse you'll always have headlight on.

#3 ·
Our car comes equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRL or DTRL, for short) which runs the bulbs at a low voltage/light intensity so that your car can be easily spotted during the day. Studies show that DRL reduce accidents.

When the light sensor notices that its getting dark, the lights turn on full intensity like normal.

#4 ·
I am having this same issue. Anyone know the likely problem? The headlights are on, the interior lights are on and the tail lights are on even if it is sunny out. I am not just talking about the daytime running lights. Once in a while the lights will turn off when it is sunny and just the daytime running lights will be on (like it should), but most often my car seems to think it is dark out or something.

#12 ·
You don't want to have the DRLs active if you have HIDs. You'll F up the lights as they're not designed to run at reduced power. You'll have to pull the DRL relay in the engine compartment fuse box if you run HIDs.

#13 ·
Mine are not on all the time, but still at 10AM sometimes the car thinks its dark enough for the lights; shade in the driveway is casue enough for it to figure its dark enough too. Turning the lights to Auto Off lasts until I leave PARK then it says "OK time for lights again"

#14 ·
I now have this same issue on my 2005 G6 GT 3.5L. Headlights on and interior lighting dimmed even when sunny. I tried replacing the sensor, but same issue. The original sensor has number 10317327 with a mostly clear dome. And the replacemed GM part that is listed as compatible and the new replacement number is 13498957. Looks the same except with a dark dome. Brand new part and still no change. I can turn off the auto headlights and then of course the headlights turn off (DRL still on in gear) and the interior lights are bright. But I really miss auto headlights, plus the way the switch works, I have to manually turn OFF auto to get my interior lights bright during the day.

Anyone know where the 2-wire cable goes on the other end? I would like to test the wire end to end for continuity. Is there anything else to check? The wiring diagram I found in the past, don't have link now, shows it should go to the BCM and no fuses related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.