Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Front Bumper Repair

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Abyssul 
#1 ·
I bought a replacement front bumper for my car and the bottom edge of the bumper is cracked in the middle about an inch and a half. I told the company and they offered $100 (or more) in settlement to fix it at a body shop or go the replacement/refund route. I'd prefer to not ship this huge thing back so I'm going to settle.

Now on to my question, based on the pictures I have provided, how much do you think it might cost to fix this (or if it should even be fixed)? Could I do it myself with some epoxy or bondo, or have a body shop do it?

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You could take it to a body shop for an estimate. I find it hard to believe 100 bucks would cover it but I honestly don't know.

IMHO: I wouldn't hesitate making them take it back & replacing it with one in new condition. They should email you a pre-paid mailing label & UPS picks it up at your home. Its not much hassle really. They are in the business of shipping body parts & should improve their packaging. Only if they will pay the entire body shop bill would I consider keeping it. Even then, probably not. My 2 cents.

#4 ·
The company is sending a replacement (hopefully packaged better and not cracked). The good news is that they told me I can keep the old bumper. Now... what to do with it? Would it be worth anything at all or should I just trash it?

#5 ·
I have repaired the front bumper cover on my daughters G6 with a heat gun. Clamp it together as best as you can and use a rag under anywhere you clamp, to avoid any scratches. Heat the crack from the back side of the cover until it gets soft. Don't over heat it. You can always reheat it and try again. Slowly push the softened plastic across the crack (I used a paint stirring stick) and remove the heat. I will take just a few seconds for it to cool enough to hold and it will not bubble the paint unless you heat it too much. leave it clamped for about 5 minutes longer to be sure its completely cool. It has held together for over 2 years now.

#8 · (Edited)
Lampoon, you are the best.

Hate to ask for one more thing. In the Service Manual, can you get me the Bumper Absorber Replacement pictures? Page 8-53.

#10 ·
Awesome. Those helped a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.