Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Another GM recall

14K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 ·
Just read this and it sound like after 5 complaints they decide to do a recall... wonder why they wont recall the steering on the G6?

General Motors is recalling all Hummer H3s made since the 2006 model year.

The company says there is a problem with a part of the hood that could detach during driving.

The voluntary recall affects 164,190 Hummer H3s and H3Ts in the United States and 198,404 worldwide.

A Hummer spokesman says a hood louver can come loose and possibly detach while driving. The device is just decorative on the H3.

There have been two complaints of problems in the United States and 3 in Japan.

#5 · (Edited)
So a useless piece of hood plastic flies off and it deems a complete recall of all cars produced, Whereas we can loose power steering while driving at any moment without any notice and no recall required. I wonder how many people need to get in steering related accidents before GM issues a recall.

But it does bring me to the book/movie Fight Club, He states, if an auto manufacturer deems it's cheaper to pay out lawsuits instead of issuing a recall, they'll do that, Because it's cheaper for people to get killed and just pay off their families.

Also! (a little off topic) but this has been bugging me. GM was bailed out right, so what did they do, they produced the "eco friendly" VOLT, now I like the concept, but it takes them over $80,000 to build just one volt, and they sell them for around $40,000 a piece... How long until Chevy goes under?

also something like 500+ volts were built, and delivered to drivers without the inboard front brake pads..... just one pad missing on each front wheel... at least I think it was the volt...

and you are correct metalhead, I recently learned that all engines, regardless of auto manufacturer, are made by hyundai.... Because it's more cost effective to just buy a pre-built motor and slap it in. And all those engines use fuel and ignition systems designed and produced by Bosch, who is FINALLY making some really useful diagnostic equipment... but I digress Domestic, JDM, European, it doesn't matter, all the parts are made in china or some other place, and then shipped to mexico or god knows where to be assembled. Sure my G6 was assembled in the US, but everything else was made elsewhere... not sure if anything was really MADE in the US.

It's too bad buying American made cars doesn't support America anymore.

Sorry to ramble on guys!

#6 ·
A vehicle has to be assembled in America with at least 75% of the parts actually made domestically in America in order to be classified as an American-made car. Since the majority of the total cost of production occurred in America, buying these vehicles will support the American economy.

It's true that you can't tell where the car is made just from the nameplate. But it's important to know that in order to support our own country. Buy American-made, not necessary American brand.

#8 ·
That figure of $80,000 to build a Volt is very deceiving. If the technology was only used to build the Volt then it is true, but that technology will be used on many models for many years. I think many people don't understand how it works so they become haters of it. If I was looking to buy a new car I would probably buy a Volt. I live like 7 miles from work so basically I could commute back and forth with out using any gas. Everyone treats the Prius likes its the second coming, but on a commute for me I probably wouldn't get much better than 40 mpg. So I would still be buying gas. Heck I bought a Yamaha scooter for the nice weather and I get 60 mpg and have a blast riding it

#9 ·
I hear ya, I personally hate the prius. BUT the volt is a car I would definitely get, simply as a commuter car. I also didn't consider the fact that money is also being used for future projects and development, makes total sense. Also I bet there are government incentives for GM offered to produce the Volt.

I'm not trying to hate, I'm a big Volt fan and would probably own one.

#13 · (Edited)
I though the Volt was an all electric car that has a gas engine, but it's only used to power a generator that charges the batteries in the event you run out of juice. This makes it more ideal then a straight electric car IMO, you don't have to worry about running out the battery and being stuck on the road. With the gas engine charging the battery the range gets up to around 300 miles.

have you guys seen "who killed the electric car?"
pretty interesting.....too bad the EV1 was ahead of its time.
I have seen it years ago, thanks for reminding me actually, I've been wanting to get a copy. It's pretty crazy too, people who LOVED the EV1 pooled together more money then what the cars were worth in an effort to buy them from GM, of course though, no dice...

Also sorry for inadvertently hi-jacking this thread lol

#12 ·
I agree the all electric cars make sense as a pure commuter car, but you are very limited in what you can do with them. Forget about any day trips or taking them on vacation. If you owned one you would still have to have a normal car for trips that exceed their range which I think defeats the purpose of owning one. Just for an example say you owned Nissan Leaf and drove it 20 miles to work. So 40 mile round trip each day which is well within its range. Now you are at work and get a phone call that a loved one has been in an accident 70 in the opposite direction. Your Leaf can't get you there as it would exceed it's range. So how would you be able to respond in this situation. Tell the hospital I will be there after I swing by the house and charge my car which depending on type of charger can take up to 8 hrs. This is ridiculous. I would never consider a pure electric as you can't deviate from normal driving no matter what.

#15 ·
Another GM Recall - 07-10 G6s

General Motors Co is recalling 473,841 Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn sedans globally to fix a condition that could lead the cars to roll when the drivers think they are in park, the No. 1 U.S. automaker said on Friday.

GM said it was aware of four crashes that resulted from the problem, but no injuries.

The company said the recall affected Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura cars from model years 2007 through 2010 and equipped with four-speed automatic transmissions. GM will repair the condition in which the transmission gear position may not match the gear on the shifter.

#16 ·
General Motors Co is recalling 473,841 Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn sedans globally to fix a condition that could lead the cars to roll when the drivers think they are in park, the No. 1 U.S. automaker said on Friday.

GM said it was aware of four crashes that resulted from the problem, but no injuries.

The company said the recall affected Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura cars from model years 2007 through 2010 and equipped with four-speed automatic transmissions. GM will repair the condition in which the transmission gear position may not match the gear on the shifter.
Here is the info on that recall
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12634

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.