Pontiac G6 Forum banner

ignition/starter issues

51K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  kevnmiller84 
#1 ·
Ocassionally when I go to start my vehicle, the ignition/start will "hang" and will continue to turn over even after I release the key. The vehicle does not start, it just keeps cranking. It scares the crap out of me, so everytime it has happened I quickly turn the key back to off and then try again. It doesn't happen very often. Has anyone else had this issue?

#3 ·
i noticed this too.. only sometimes.. but it shouldn't happen at all with a brandnew car.. i'm scared i'm going to drain my battery.. so i don't push it through when it hangs.. i just wait a couple seconds and try again.. it's kind of embarrassing when people are around.. i know that sounds weird.. but it looks like ur driving a piece of crap

#5 ·
The starter is different on our cars because of the integrated remote start. Even if your car doesn't have the remote start your starter is still computer controlled. Most cars have a direct link between the ignition switch and the starter. Therefore if you hold the key it will crank as long as you hold the key. The G6 has a PCU controlled system. My car sometimes cranks longer than it should, and I agree it is annoying. Sometimes my remote start takes forever to get going. If you don't believe that the cars starter is monitored by a computer try cranking the car while it is running, most cars will grind the starter and destroy it. Ours will do absolutely nothing because the car is monitoring the engine and starter at all times.

#7 ·
mgsooner said:
Big Ben-

Thank you for the explanation, that is good info!

Is there a possibility this could cause damage to your starter? Or no?
Most likely not, if your engine is not running, but still cranking then it should be alright. If you are trying to start it for a long time (30+ seconds) and it is still not turning over, then you might want to get it checked out.

#8 ·
mgsooner said:
Ocassionally when I go to start my vehicle, the ignition/start will "hang" and will continue to turn over even after I release the key. The vehicle does not start, it just keeps cranking. It scares the crap out of me, so everytime it has happened I quickly turn the key back to off and then try again. It doesn't happen very often. Has anyone else had this issue?
hey this is sleepless, and I was told when I got my car that the comp perposly keeps starting the car till it cranks. Hmmm try turnin the key fast and then let go

#9 ·
Starter?

I have an 05 G6 and once in a while my car will not turn over. The check engine light does not come on so there is no diagnostic report to run. I spoke with a few mechanics and they say its the starter and that it's misfiring. If I have my starter replaced, has anyone come across any other problems from that? Does anyone know if replacing the starter solves the problem?

Any info helps. Thanks a bunch :D

#10 ·
My 20O5 G6 does the same thing too, sometimes it cranks and starts right away and other times it hangs. couple of things you can try is when you put the key to the on position, wait 5 seconds then crank it, and if it's still hanging then give it some gas, when its cranking level out the gas pedal, i know your not supposed to do that becasue it is a fuel injected car but its just a defect or some other problem with these G6's. I works for me when it doesnt wanna start i just give it some gas and then it kicks in. I think it has to do wit the computer or fuel management, maybe the car is not getting enough fuel while you start it, im really not too sure all i know is that its all comnputerized so something is not making the car start when it cranks over.

#11 ·
TSB on starting problem

Bulletin No.: 03-06-03-001D

Date: August 02, 2007

INFORMATION
Subject:
Starter Cranks After Key Is Released (Normal Condition)

Models:
2003-2008 Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Attention: This bulletin ONLY applies to vehicles with PCM/ECM controlled starters.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-03-001C (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some customers may comment that the engine starter will continue to run after the key is released.

For the 2003 through 2008 model years, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the starter relay based on input from the key switch. When the ignition switch is held in the start position for 0.4 seconds, the PCM/ECM start timer is activated. Once the start timer is activated, the PCM/ECM will continue to crank the starter until either the engine starts or a no start time limit is reached.

Occasionally, the fuel pump module will take one or two seconds to build fuel pressure. Often this will occur after the vehicle sits overnight. During some vehicle starts, the customer may release the ignition switch key before the engine actually starts. When this occurs, the engine will then continue to crank until the engine starts or the no start time limit is reached.

This is a normal condition and no repairs should be attempted for this condition.

#12 ·
another tsb on starting

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-076B

Date: March 30, 2006

TECHNICAL
Subject:
LZE, LZ4, LZ9 Only Intermittent Extended Crank Time In Hot Engine Restart, Starter Motor May Not Disengage After Engine Start (Reprogram with SPS PCM)

Models:
2006 Buick Terraza
2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Uplander
2006 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6
2006 Saturn Relay

with 3.5L or 3.9L V6 Engine (VINs K, N, 1 - RPOs LZE, LZ4, LZ9)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to include additional information in the Subject and on model year usage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-076A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent extended crank time in hot engine restart and the starter motor may not disengage after engine start.

Correction
Important: Before reprogramming the PCM, verify the customer concern. Refer to SI- Diagnostic System Check-Vehicle in Vehicle Control Systems. Follow the diagnostic for a possible cause of an extended crank time in hot engine restart. If no trouble is found, reprogram the PCM.

Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibrations if the above concern is encountered. An updated PCM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new PCM calibrations are available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers on March 19, 2006 (March 22 in Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006 or later, mailed to dealers beginning March 29, 2006. As always, make sure your Tech 2(R) is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information

#13 ·
Hi. My car has the same problem as well. The car starts fine if it's been left for awhile, but sometimes if you turn the car off and try to start it again within a few minutes the car just turns over and won't start, unless you push the gas pedal down. Which leads me to think the car floods itself and i know it's weird for a fuel injected car to get flooded. Just wondering if anyone has a answer for this problem it's starting to get real annoying Thanks

2005 G6
3500 V6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.