Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an 05 G6 V6 GT. It is fully loaded! Leather seats, Panoramic sunroof and the good stuff.

My issue is that it has 123,000 miles on it.

Their asking price is like 9500. I was wondering if that was a decent deal? Got about 1500 on a trade in but wanted to make sure when I buy the car it doesnt break down on me!

My brother/mom are big pontiac people but I am being cautious.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
sooo thats like 200,000 km.

WAY over priced.

I would never in my life get an 05 g6 used with that many km, let alone at that price.

im selling my 06 g6 gtp coupe with 105,000 km, or 65000 miles for 9,999. and it comes with extended warranty for another 15,000 km / 2.5 years and a set of 1 season old winter tires and rims.

maybe offer 5,000 if ur set on that car. seems like a realistic price to pay for a bagged ( in terms of miles ), 05, pontiac...and needless to say its a gm

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am looking at an 05 G6 V6 GT. It is fully loaded! Leather seats, Panoramic sunroof and the good stuff.

My issue is that it has 123,000 miles on it.

Their asking price is like 9500. I was wondering if that was a decent deal? Got about 1500 on a trade in but wanted to make sure when I buy the car it doesnt break down on me!

My brother/mom are big pontiac people but I am being cautious.
Honestly i wouldnt, i LOVE pontiacs but really i wouldnt trust them far past 100k. Im not saying dont get any pontiac with that many miles but ive seen so many pontiacs go down right around that point. :mad: Also Ive seen a bunch of g6s a few grand less then that with less miles. Yeah theyre not fully loaded but still. I would say pass on this one but keep your eye open for others!:) thats my honest opinion haha :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
sooo thats like 200,000 km.

WAY over priced.

I would never in my life get an 05 g6 used with that many km, let alone at that price.

im selling my 06 g6 gtp coupe with 105,000 km, or 65000 miles for 9,999. and it comes with extended warranty for another 15,000 km / 2.5 years and a set of 1 season old winter tires and rims.

maybe offer 5,000 if ur set on that car. seems like a realistic price to pay for a bagged ( in terms of miles ), 05, pontiac...and needless to say its a gm
i completely agree!:bigok:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with the others. I was able to get a 2010 GT with 30,000 miles for 14,500. A 2005 for that seems high with those miles. I do love Pontiacs though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 4 speed transmissions were only really designed for a little over a 100K. The 6 speeds on the other hand are supposed to look brand new if you were to tear them apart at 200K

·
Registered
76 Posts
I havnt experience any problems at all.. i recently changed breaks rear/front, oil evry 3.000 and spark plugs... wat else can i do to it?... and when im supposed to change the belt time?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I havnt experience any problems at all.. i recently changed breaks rear/front, oil evry 3.000 and spark plugs... wat else can i do to it?... and when im supposed to change the belt time?
Every 3k miles for oil is over kill. Go every 5k and use high mileage oil synthetic.

The 4 speed transmissions were only really designed for a little over a 100K. The 6 speeds on the other hand are supposed to look brand new if you were to tear them apart at 200K
Source? That does not sound right.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Alright.. this is actually my first car.. so i dnt really kno much bout cars... i heard i hav to change da belt time? Its true

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also have my oil changed every 3,000 miles. That's what the dealer said to do and that's what I've always done.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I also have my oil changed every 3,000 miles. That's what the dealer said to do and that's what I've always done.
Of course that's what they want you to do. Easy money. Go do some Googling and research oil changes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Source? That does not sound right.
One of my best friends and fraternity brother works transmissions for GM. He is part of the group responsible for all rear wheel drive transmissions and all 6 speed front wheel drive transmissions.

He explained that all the 4 speeds were pretty much designed for 100K. Meaning you open them up at 100k and you can begin to see light wear and tear on components. This does not mean they can't go longer, just means the design isn't as up to par of the 6 speed. The 6 speeds, he explained, were supposed to look brand new when opened up at 200K. I believe that is also why the 4 speed is being phased out, because the 6 speed is just a better design overall and the market now days requires a certain level of quality. Not to mention you also have 6 gears doing the work of 4 haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts