Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak on the passenger side, and I'm wondering how to tell if it's the crossover gasket or water pump without tearing it apart, if there is a way anyway. After I park it drops a puddle so I assume water pump? Only vehicle so I'd like to know before I have it tore apart and am stuck ya know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
80 Posts
Most likely its the hose and water pump. Unfortunately cars these days are difficult to work on. You are going to have to remove the Tire and plastic wheel well to get to the area and you are going to have to be careful since this involves the timing of the vehicle as well. But I would check first to make sure that's what it is before tearing apart parts. But to get to the leak you need to do the Tire and wheel well first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a leak on the passenger side, and I'm wondering how to tell if it's the crossover gasket or water pump without tearing it apart, if there is a way anyway. After I park it drops a puddle so I assume water pump? Only vehicle so I'd like to know before I have it tore apart and am stuck ya know. Thanks in advance.
J,

It's hard to tell. I had the same problem...my post is on this site...so I changed the water pump first. Only because it's easier. Well, that wasn't it, so moved on to the crossover's. Yep. Just too hard to see where it's coming from. Have patience....it will be one or the other...assuming you've checked all the "obvious" stuff..."T" pipe, hoses, etc etc etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
On an '06 3.5 you can access the water pump and hose through the top of the engine bay. No need to remove the tire and plastic shroud. I've also got a coolant leak in the same area. Same year and engine too. I think it's a pinhole leak in the rad or hose. Haven't gotten around to try to fix it yet. If the rad needs replaced it's going to be quite the undertaking on this vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bought a water pump because it's only $42 and appears to be about a 20 minute job to replace it, so I will start there. Hopefully that's it, because I'm sick of having to add coolant/water every other time I shut it off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a pretty fast leak. Hopefully it's just the water pump in your case. My leak is fairly slow. The level in the coolant reservoir gets low enough to trigger the "Low Coolant" message every couple of weeks or so (varies). Mine doesn't appear to be the water pump, but something lower.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah it is pretty quick. Just about everytime I shut it off after it gets hot it pisses out coolant by the water pump now, it's terrible.
Just thought of something you should know. When your job is complete, make sure you "purge" your coolant system. It's more involved than in the old days when you just gave the radiator a drink, and let it settle and repeat. There is a special tool you need to put on the resevoir and actually pull the air out of the system. If you don't, you can damage the engine. It took me about 20 minutes or so to get all the air out. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 3.5 V6 engines, and most likely others, generally have an air bleed vent near the water outlet that must be vented when the engine gets warm after refilling. This is a higher location on the engine where an air bubble can collect potentially causing the coolant recovery tank to not work properly.
Just Sayin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts