Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Calling anyone willing to shine some light on this dull little issue I'm having. I bought the car used with full knowledge that the rear driver-side window would not roll up or down, and now that life has stabilized a bit, I am wanting to try and get this fixed. The previous owner told me they had gotten the interior panel off and saw that the cable that normally runs along a pulley had come off and was wrapped around the shaft. I have not pulled it off to confirm this yet, but does anyone have any advice for how to tackle this problem? I would rather be able to do it myself and learn, save a little money, and move on with the knowledge and skills gained if possible. Just trying to gather information currently before moving forward.

Thanks for any and all replies,

~Nuptup

·
Registered
358 Posts
That cable is supposed to be under constant tension and is used to move a block that the glass is attached to up and down.
Typically, the cables dont just pop off and need reattached, something is usually broken. Regulators are not designed to be serviceable.
See if you can find a photo of the regulator, take a shot at understanding how it works, and pull the panel to take a look to see what's 'not right'. Unfortunately, you may get to swap it.
Procedure in short, remove panel, remove fixing hardware window to regulator, un plug regulator, remove fixing bolts to body, remove regulator, remove motor to fix to new regulator.
Installation is reverse.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Picture 2 does it best, motor turns pulley, turns cable and pulls white block up along path. Glass is attached on other side.
Cable should have tension to pull window, up/down. Shouldn't come off pulley.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks man! That's really insightful! I'll post what I find out when I look into it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, after having opened it up and taken a look inside, it looked like the cable that operates the system may have stretched over time just enough to come over the lip of the pulley, because when I looked inside it was all wrapped around the shaft and tangled with itself. It was going to cost me almost as much to buy the parts and wait for them to arrive as it would for my local mechanic to do it. So, i just tossed out the extra bit and he's taking care of it. Should be done by tomorrow :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts