Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently having an issue with my hard top stuck in the open position.

I checked the fuse and the open/close switch and tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

There were no messages on the display and no sounds from top's motors. (That's what lead me to the open/close switch, but no luck there.)

I tried driving it around some more to see if I could jar anything that might be stuck. At a stop light I heard the bell go off 3 times and the display was showing "Top Not Allowed". I moved the gear from D to P, and the message stayed and the top stayed in the open position.

Turned the car off, waited a few, started it back up and the message was gone, and the top was still stuck in the open position.

I normally don't have the top open when it's hotter than 90F and all of this is going on between 95F - 100F. Not sure if that's a factor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Works this morning

I turned on the ignition this morning and got the message "Top Not Secure" and then I was able to close the top.

I really don't think this is one time issue and want to troubleshoot this some more.

Again thinking it could be heat related.. Ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also having a problem with the convertible top. At first mine was stuck in the up position then got stuck in the down position after being looked at. They've diagnosed it as the hydraulic motor/pump. Problem is the dealer is telling me the part is discontinued and not interchangeable with other vehicles. I have a hard time believing that Pontiac would leave us all with vehicles that fail to function properly. I'll keep you updated and do let me know how everything turns out with your car.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I believe there is a federal law requiring parts be available for 10 yrs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've also been told about a federal law requiring 10 years worth of parts; however, I have not been able to find the actual law or any information regarding it. If anyone has this information I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience with your hard top and parts availability. I also could have sworn that GM was committed to spare parts. I would try to escalate thru them, but you may are already working that route.

I haven't had time to take my car in to the GM dealer/mechanics. The problem is now very consistent and only fails when it's been sitting out in the sun above 85F. (The car is black, so it absorbs the heat pretty well) I tried spraying some compressed air in the area of the switches etc to see if cooling it down would have an immediate effect. Nope.

I'm hoping to have time to take it in next week. Will keep you posted.

BTW - Do you get any sounds or messages on the display when you attempt to open / close your top when it's failing?

Mark

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with your hard top and parts availability. I also could have sworn that GM was committed to spare parts. I would try to escalate thru them, but you may are already working that route.

I haven't had time to take my car in to the GM dealer/mechanics. The problem is now very consistent and only fails when it's been sitting out in the sun above 85F. (The car is black, so it absorbs the heat pretty well) I tried spraying some compressed air in the area of the switches etc to see if cooling it down would have an immediate effect. Nope.

I'm hoping to have time to take it in next week. Will keep you posted.

BTW - Do you get any sounds or messages on the display when you attempt to open / close your top when it's failing?

Mark
Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your vehicle. I completely understand that you are super busy. Let us know how your visit at the dealership goes when you do get a chance to bring it in.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, finally dropped the car off today and just got the call...

They have diagnosed the issue as the "folding top module" needing to be replaced and programmed. $677 out the door.

Ugh. I guess I don't really have much choice here. : (

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is not a reply to your problem, but my nightmare of problems with g6 hardtop. This car has been nothing but trouble since day one. I can honestly say I hate everything about it! Noisey, rattlely, top closing issues AGAIN. I have put 1600 bucks into this car for various issues in the past 30 days! Its in the garage again because the top won't close, presently awaiting parts ....2 switches of some sort located in rear compartment for roof mechanics. I am selling it as soon as possible once fixed! It has not been a pleasant ride

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also having a problem with the convertible top. At first mine was stuck in the up position then got stuck in the down position after being looked at. They've diagnosed it as the hydraulic motor/pump. Problem is the dealer is telling me the part is discontinued and not interchangeable with other vehicles. I have a hard time believing that Pontiac would leave us all with vehicles that fail to function properly. I'll keep you updated and do let me know how everything turns out with your car.
There is a company that wiill rebuild the hydraulic motor search The Internet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts