Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cat issues are no joke. But... the exhaust manifold/cat converter... one piece... come on.
I got fumes and metal dust flying out of mine.. thats the reason the car feels gutless/high rpms/hard shifting/misfires... it goes on. Now... i had plans to take the cat out and pound the guts out of it n put the shell back in place... for now. WITHOUT TAKING OFF THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD... CAN THE CAT BE REMOVED? If not i gotta cut it open from above the engine... smash away and try and weld it back together. Anyone attempt this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might as well follow up right? After blowin up on gm for not being eligable for the recalled cat/manifold.. 2 months past the 10 year recall. Cut the cat open from above with a diegrinder...gutted it and welded it baxk up. Little blood n cursing gm the whole way... voila! Car sounds like a angry banshee BUT ive got back the ability to accelerate up hills. Oddly enough it shifts smoother. Got a beater insted of a lemon which im totally cool with. Rather roll like a teenager again than crawl like the elderly. So safty is up in a year and a half and im sure this car will make er till then. Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, so how were you able to do this? My plan was to take it off beat the honeycomb out of it and put it back in, but from what I see from you it’s all one piece and I won’t be able to do so? I saw a video someone left it on and just undid the bolts on one side broke the honeycomb took it out and bolted it back on which was my plan. But from your post looks like it was unable to be done due to it being one piece? I’m having the same problem as you buddy, and I really wanna just take the whole thing off I was gonna straight pipe it. I don’t have the tools to weld it back on though if I need to cut it off can I use clamps to get it back on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts