Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a small problem. I press the trunk pop and get nothing. I press and hold the unlock button on my door and press the button and whammy it opens. But what causes the button not to work how can I fix this. I don't have a key that turns the trunk lock cylinder so I need to fix this b4 I loose the trunk feature altogether. Thanks in advance.

Grant

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ok so I have a small problem. I press the trunk pop and get nothing. I press and hold the unlock button on my door and press the button and whammy it opens. But what causes the button not to work how can I fix this. I don't have a key that turns the trunk lock cylinder so I need to fix this b4 I loose the trunk feature altogether. Thanks in advance.

Grant
Genyc07,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. For many 2006 and later car lines, the trunk release button requires a press and hold before the trunk lid will release. If this does not remedy the issue, there may be a connection issue. I offer this as a suggestion, not as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need help locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Well you've thoroughly confused me. If you're referring to a fob button not working that is a VERY common problem. Google on keylessfix & buy a fob insert. They work great for fixing GM fobs with flakey buttons. If you mean the door button does not work there are several possible reasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the fob the trunk release on the door. The trunk will only release when I hold the the door unlock button then press the trunk pop button on the door. It will not release regularly. The button will work a few times after this process which I looked up online but goes right back to dummy mode by the next day. Checked the trunk fuse found in the trunk(who's stupid idea was it to put the fuse there btw) it looks fine so I don't know what to check next.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Genyc07,

The trunk release feature (button) located inside the vehicle will only open while the vehicle is stationary.

You may also consider replacing the trunk fuse.

If this issue persists, I recommend having the vehicle inspected, there may be a connection issue.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thank you for responding to my post Louis. As I said in the previous post I checked the fuse its good. (Btw why would anyone think it is a good idea to put the trunk fuse in the trunk? That's like look the combination to your safe in the safe so you won't loose it). That would be a good suggestion to give to r and d. Get the trunk fuse on gm cars moved to one of the many other fuse locations.
As far as taking the car to a gm shop I'm sad to say that will not happen at least not in my area. Pm me for details if concerned. So I'm left with other drivers input when it comes to diagnostics on this car. I will be checking the connections for the trunk pop button when it warms up just a little. It's neg 4 here today so I won't be turning any wrenches or anything else of the sort.

06 g6 178k serviced by me from day one and runs better than factory. Average mpg 31. Either way I appreciate any other feed back anyone may have and suggestions especially if the MSG doesn't say go to the dealership or check something I said I checked in the previous post.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Not the fob the trunk release on the door. The trunk will only release when I hold the the door unlock button then press the trunk pop button on the door. It will not release regularly. The button will work a few times after this process which I looked up online but goes right back to dummy mode by the next day. Checked the trunk fuse found in the trunk
The door unlock circuit is a completely separate circuit from the trunk release circuit. They share nothing in common.

Intermittent trunk open problem could be caused by:

intermittent trunk release button contact (I've never seen a bad one yet on this platform)
intermittent trunk release actuator (most common culprit)
intermittent open anywhere in the trunk release circuit

Those are the most likely possibilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
trunk lock

My trunk button hasn't worked for some time now. I've always had the remote, so it didn't bother me. But now my remote doesn't work and the key doesn't work, so I can't get in my trunk. Just went out to try it, pressed the truck button by itself and the trunk opened. closed it and tried it again and nothing. tried holding the lock button down at the same time. that didn't work. Guess I can't check the fuse, since it's in the trunk. Is the trunk key the same as the ign. key? The key goes in, but won't turn either way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My trunk button hasn't worked for some time now. I've always had the remote, so it didn't bother me. But now my remote doesn't work and the key doesn't work, so I can't get in my trunk. Just went out to try it, pressed the truck button by itself and the trunk opened. closed it and tried it again and nothing. tried holding the lock button down at the same time. that didn't work. Guess I can't check the fuse, since it's in the trunk. Is the trunk key the same as the ign. key? The key goes in, but won't turn either way.
The trunk key hole is suppose to be lubed on a regulator basis. I would try penetrating oil to loosen it up. I always spray mine with white grease every so often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. Fixed it like a headlight that goes out. I banged the trunk by the keyhole with my fist a few times and voila it started working again both with the FOB and the interior push button on the door. A connection issue I guess

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thank you for responding to my post Louis. As I said in the previous post I checked the fuse its good. (Btw why would anyone think it is a good idea to put the trunk fuse in the trunk? That's like look the combination to your safe in the safe so you won't loose it). That would be a good suggestion to give to r and d. Get the trunk fuse on gm cars moved to one of the many other fuse locations.
As far as taking the car to a gm shop I'm sad to say that will not happen at least not in my area. Pm me for details if concerned. So I'm left with other drivers input when it comes to diagnostics on this car. I will be checking the connections for the trunk pop button when it warms up just a little. It's neg 4 here today so I won't be turning any wrenches or anything else of the sort.

06 g6 178k serviced by me from day one and runs better than factory. Average mpg 31. Either way I appreciate any other feed back anyone may have and suggestions especially if the MSG doesn't say go to the dealership or check something I said I checked in the previous post.
Not the fob the trunk release on the door. The trunk will only release when I hold the the door unlock button then press the trunk pop button on the door. It will not release regularly. The button will work a few times after this process which I looked up online but goes right back to dummy mode by the next day. Checked the trunk fuse found in the trunk(who's stupid idea was it to put the fuse there btw) it looks fine so I don't know what to check next.

My trunk just stopped opening today with the key. Cylinder wont even turn with key. The interior trunk release button hasnt worked for a a couple of years (even with relay replacement) or Key fob.

I just went out and did what was mentioned- press the door unlock button at the same time as interior trunk release and IT POPPED and OPENED.

Now Im afraid to shut it again to lock :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts