Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 g6 gtp. After driving for about 15 mins the temp gauge starts fluctuating between normal and 225 degrees. Usually starts when I slow down. I also have to add coolant every 1-2 days because when it overheats coolant is boiling through overflow hose. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have an 06 g6 gtp. After driving for about 15 mins the temp gauge starts fluctuating between normal and 225 degrees. Usually starts when I slow down. I also have to add coolant every 1-2 days because when it overheats coolant is boiling through overflow hose. Any help would be appreciated.
You have a breach so the system is not able to maintain pressure. You need to find & fix the leak which could be internal or external.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So its probably a bad hose?
The leak could be anywhere in the sealed system. Possibly the reservoir cap itself no longer maintains the seal. They aren't expensive & you might want to just try swapping it out.

AZ may loan out pressure testers, I'm not sure. Or call around & get an idea what they charge to pressure test it. Shouldn't be much.

Try a Youtube search: pressure testing coolant

·
Token Asian
28 Posts
Hmmm.... There is a bulletin for coolant leak which leads to the crossover gaskets for the 3.5 and 3.9... And I don't think Autozone has the pressure tester conversion to the plastic tanks yet..

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Certainly a possibility.

Service Information 2006 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2134019
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#07-06-02-006A: Coolant Leaking From Engine (Replace Coolant Crossover Pipe Gaskets) - (May 12, 2008)

Subject: Coolant Leaking from Engine (Replace Coolant Crossover Pipe Gaskets)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Terraza

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo, Uplander

2006-2007 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6

2006-2007 Saturn Relay

2007 Saturn AURA

with 3.5L or 3.9L Engine (VINs N, K, I, R, W -- RPOs LZ4, LZE, LZ9, LZ8, LGD)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the labor code in the Warranty Information section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-02-006 (Section 06 -- Engine).

Condition
Some customers may comment on coolant leaking from the engine.

Cause
The gasket located between the coolant crossover pipe and the front of the right (rear side) cylinder head may be leaking.

Correction
Replace the coolant crossover pipe gaskets with current service replacement gaskets, P/Ns 12577704 and 12590668. Before installing the new gaskets, make sure that the mating surfaces on the crossover manifold and cylinder head are completely clean and that NO OIL or OIL RESIDUE exists.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Gasket, Coolant Crossover Pipe

Gasket, Coolant Crossover Pipe

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J3529
Engine Coolant Crossover Pipe Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts