Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 06 G6 silver base model, and have noticed that the paint is coming off rapidly. When I got the car used almost a year ago, it had a lot of touch up paint done on the bumper, but I have began noticing that the entire body of the car has paint coming off. The bottom of all four doors are constantly losing more and more paint, the bumper and hood are too. I also began noticing bubbling on the roof of the car. My buddy has an 04 Grand Prix and I have never seen a car that new with so much paint coming off of it, and it is not caused from rusting. Are Pontiacs known for lousy paint jobs? My car was salvaged before I got it, front end collision, so I'm sure the front bumper, hood, and possibly the fenders were replaced, but I doubt the entire car was repainted.

What are some ways to prevent this? I wash the car frequently (handwash or manual wash bay, never automatic), especially during the winter (usually once every week) and then put Eagle Quick Wax on it. Also, where can I get good touch up paint? I got a little tube of touch up paint at Autozone, and matched the code up. The paint definitely does not match. I appreciate all feedback!

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
The G6 paint tends to be pretty solid. One paint complaint is that dings or rivets in the paint between the rear door and tire well that have pits in them from rocks or something.

Your description seems different. Have any pictures? It seems like the only resolution would be to get it repainted. Waxing it might prolong the paint.

The dealership sells touch-up paint, as well as various online retailers that good a good job with creating their own matched paint.

·
Gpof59
46 Posts
Sounds like a Earl Scheib type paint job. Year's ago a friend of mine had a white ford falcon, repainted red at a Earl Scheib's. A little over a year later the paint started to peel. Long story short, I would guess who ever fixed the body on your car, went over the whole body in a rush job. I would go to a reputable body shop and have them take a look. They probably could mix a bottle of touch up for you at a low cost.As for Pontiac's paint job's?, I've only seen the maroon colored one's back in the 60's-70's fade out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts