Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, as you may have guessed, I'm new here and in the market for a GTP with the 6-speed manual and have a few questions regarding the model. Firstly, let me say that I'm no stranger to Pontiacs as my first three cars were them, and I currently drive a lightly modified G5 base right now. Also, one of my new year's resolutions was to get my racing license and go tracking, and I would have to spend serious money on my car to get her to at least semi-track worthiness. Can a big car like the G6 handle such abuse like circuit racing and general hooliganism? And what can I expect of the ride/handling? With a heavy and powerful FWD car like this I would imagine plenty of torque steer and under steer. Am I wrong?

Also, what about reliability, parts, and common problems? The OHV 3.9 sounds like something pulled out of a tank, so I imagine it to be pretty solid. I did read something about coolant related gasket problems. Serious concern? What should I look for when buying a used GTP?

One thing I enjoy about the G5/Cobalt is it's huge aftermarket support. Afterall, it is America's Civic, but I haven't seen too much in the way for G6s. Do people sell serious bolt-ons or internals for this car? I'm thinking CAI, hot cam, chip, header, cat-back, suspension etc.

And lastly, what do you think of this deal? The owner says it's all optioned out save for the rear-view mirror w/compass. I'm a minimalist when it comes to cars so all these bells and whistles have me a bit uneasy, since it's a well known fact that the more complicated you make a system, the more likely it is to fail. Apart from that, what are your thoughts?

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-autos-et-camions-2006-Pontiac-G6-GTP-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ474288319

Thank you for your valuable input, looking forward to checking up on this soon. Cheers from Montreal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If youre serious about tracking your car, your G5 is a better option, but if you were willing to work on it a G6 could also be great

1 - 2 of 2 Posts