Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 07 GT coupe and I just purchased an 07 GTP with a broke camshaft in the 3.8L it has. Can I pull the 3.8 and replace it with a 3.5L from the same year?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I don't believe the G6 ever came with a 3.8. The 2007 GTP I think has the 3.6l DOHC engine. GM's high feature V6 engine. It produces quite a bit more power then the 3.5
The 3.5 is also a pushrod engine while the 3.6 has dual over head cams on each bank.

That being said, the GTP ecu won't directly run the 3.5, There's more sensor and I think even variable valve timing. Swapping the engine in would likely require swapping the computers and harness and getting them flashed to match the VIN with the BCM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Best bet

If I were you. I would either repair what you have or find out exactly which engine is in your car 3.6 or 3.9. There definitely was not a 3.8. After you find out if the repair or a suitable replacement works better for your budget then make the decision. The 3.5 will not produce the power of the 3.9 or the 3.6. Even worse you would need to change other things that will become a hassle if you are looking for an easy repair. From my quick research you have the 3.6 liter in a 2007 GTP. This is the most powerful engine available for the G6. The 3.5 is a cheaper engine but you get what you pay for.
That is my 2 cents on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts