Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
First off I appreciate any and all help you guys can provide.

2007 G6, 3.5L, 122,xxx miles, manual AC controls (3 knobs- blower power 1-4, temperature, distribution)

Having an issue that just surfaced with the AC/Heat not blowing out of the dash vents. No matter which distribution setting is selected the AC/Heat will only blow out of the floor vents.

Several things to note. When the defrost setting is selected the air does get distributed through the top dash vent as it properly should. The temperature setting is working as well (air blows hot or cold as the temperature knob is adjusted).

I'm assuming the pesky blend door actuator is to blame. When researching said part I've found that there are two separate actuators:
Dorman 604-109 (recirculation, located on driver's side)
Dorman 604-135 (temperature, located on passenger side behind glove box)

In my particular situation which actuator would you assume to be at fault? If its not the actuator could it possibly be the entire climate control panel that needs replacing? The icons on the rim of the right knob on the climate control panel (distribution knob) are not illuminated as the others are)

Thanks Again for all your help, its greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea if the switch is not receiving power, it won't control the actuator . You can always check for power and ground right at the connecter for the switch that controls the duct modes, this is controlled by the recirculation actuator I believe. I would start by testing the switch, especially if the icon indicators are not illuminated, kinda of a dead give away that its not getting power, could just be the contacts or connection for that switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Thanks for the reply PLZ,
Went ahead and change out the recirculation actuator (Drivers side of dash) and the HVAC control unit, both have not remedied the problem. While changing the blower power of the AC (from max power (4) to off for example) I hear a noise coming from the top of the dash, a thud sound like if you were to drop something on a table. Any other suggestions? Something clogged up in the ductwork perhaps? I'm at a loss...

Thanks Again,
DaAPKGodfather

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would believe the simple answer would be to replace the blend door actuator or also known as the temperature actuator, sorry bro I didn't mean to tell you the wrong one, asked a buddy of mine today who had the same prob. he said not the recirculate but blend. its harder to get to but still worth the time to save money, just make sure as you already had to on the other to rotate the gear correctly when installing it on the shaft, only one small screw holds it in, but my boy said it was a bitch to replace. this is the simple answer a harder answer would be to just start tracing the problem by disassembling and testing or verifying correct operation of all components in the duct and door systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PLZ,
Thanks again for the response. The recirculation actuator was a real pain, buried deep on the drivers side dash. The temp actuator is actually a little easier to get to I believe, remember seeing it during the dash disassembly when I replaced the HVAC control unit. Gonna give that a try next. While replacing the recirculation actuator I changed the settings on the ac (from defrost to cabin air) and remembered seeing the actuator move, hence my conclusion that this was the actuator that needed replacing. Gonna order the temp actuator and give it another go over the weekend.

Thanks,
DaAPKGodfather

·
Registered
3 Posts
07 G6 vent direction

My 3.5 l v6 g6 won't change airflow direction. I am getting contradicting info. I am led to believe it is the mode actuator. Alldatadiy shows the part in a diagram but the removal instructions are for the air temperature actuator. I have looked on the GM site as well as a number of other sites including RockAuto and cannot find a part number for the mode actuator. The diagram shows it behind the center instrument panel. How hard is it to replace and does anyone have the part number? Thanks in advance

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
My 3.5 l v6 g6 won't change airflow direction. I am getting contradicting info. I am led to believe it is the mode actuator. Alldatadiy shows the part in a diagram but the removal instructions are for the air temperature actuator. I have looked on the GM site as well as a number of other sites including RockAuto and cannot find a part number for the mode actuator. The diagram shows it behind the center instrument panel. How hard is it to replace and does anyone have the part number? Thanks in advance
I checked at gmpartsdirect.com , but was unable to ID the mode actuator (vent selector). I think it's item 13 in the pic here , but there's no accompanying part number listed.

And no luck at gmpartsgiant.com either.

My suggestion is to go to the dealer. They may not have it, but at least they can give you the part number and you can use that to search the web. After that, a salvage yard is the next option.

HTH.

Doug

For reference, the other HVAC actuators are:
o Temperature control : 15844209 .
o Recirc control: 15842338 w/o climate control
or 15844241 w/ climate control

·
Registered
11 Posts
I checked at gmpartsdirect.com , but was unable to ID the mode actuator (vent selector). I think it's item 13 in the pic here , but there's no accompanying part number listed.

And no luck at gmpartsgiant.com either.

My suggestion is to go to the dealer. They may not have it, but at least they can give you the part number and you can use that to search the web. After that, a salvage yard is the next option.

HTH.

HELP!

Doug

For reference, the other HVAC actuators are:
o Temperature control : 15844209 .
o Recirc control: 15842338 w/o climate control
or 15844241 w/ climate control

I only get air from the defrost vents and no where else. I believe it is the mode actuator in the position described above. Has anybody found a part number for it???

HELP!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
that is the correct part for the mode selector on the G6. Pain in the butt to get to. 2 screws below the dash and 1 way the hell up top behind the dash. My neighbor told me I had to drop the dash so I started all that But I would have had to take apart some frame to have unrestricted access to it. In the end I was able put my hand up in there with a 7mm socket on an extension and was able to get it out. A little tricky getting it back in but I was successful

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
that is the correct part for the mode selector on the G6. Pain in the butt to get to. 2 screws below the dash and 1 way the hell up top behind the dash. My neighbor told me I had to drop the dash so I started all that But I would have had to take apart some frame to have unrestricted access to it. In the end I was able put my hand up in there with a 7mm socket on an extension and was able to get it out. A little tricky getting it back in but I was successful
My BIL has been pulling wrenches professionally for ~40 years. Whenever I was working with him in the shop, I would witness him pulling out some oddball esoteric tool accessory and think he had been spending way too much with the Snap-On man :smile2:

But after a few years of trying to keep my collection of GM cars going, I've come to realize that those seemingly indulgent tool purchases really pay off when you get that hard-to-get-at screw out and back in in 5 minutes instead of futzing with it for 2 hours.

Sometimes, 25 bucks for a tool you'll only use once is a great investment :)

[Edit] BTW, thanks for confirming that's the correct p/n.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diagram below is from an 07 G6 GT. I believe part number 5 is the mode actuator. Buick parts guy had a hard time identifying it in this drawing because the brief description called it a bracket. Once #5 is selected, the expanded information makes it clear this not just a bracket and thinks it is the part for the G6 GT mode selection actuator. It is thought this diagram is viewed from the engine side, so part #5 should be on the drivers side. As noted above, this is the Part Number: 15863481 Description: 09786 Bracket

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having this same issue with my 2006 g6! I have changed the blend door actuator but I can not figure out what the issue could be or is? Auto zone says it’s the blend door but I’ve went thru 2 different ones and it still only blows thru the defroster!

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Best as I am aware the blend door actuator changes the temperature (blends the hot and cold air). The mode actuator changes the direction of airflow. If you remove the mode actuator you should be able to move the arm by hand and feel the airflow change. This will prove that the door itself is working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 G6 with similar symptoms. I can get air from all the vents but my issue is going from hot to cold. It will blow cold AC fine but if i move it to the highest heat setting it still blows cold AC. I have replaced the actuator under the glovebox and that did not fix the issue it still does the same thing as the old actuator.The 2 lines(45 degree lines) on the actuator itself i can watch it move and it will go one direction for AC but then when trying to go to heat it just goes to the middle and stops and will not turn the other direction. So since both actuators are doing the same thing its making me thing the door itself is stuck or something. But wait there's more. Before i started having this issue i found a plastic part laying on my floor board one day when getting into the vehicle. It looks very similar to part #4 from 2005 Pontiac G6 SE1 A/C & HEATER MODULE ASM here but of course there's no name for it and i have no clue where it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts