Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible, 3.9l V6 automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just bought this 07 convertible a few days ago and I can't get the top to go down. When I hold the button, all of my windows go down and once they're down I hear what sound like some type of motor whirring away for a few seconds in the trunk. Sound's like the sound is coming from the passenger side, but I don't think there's any sound coming from the driver's side.

I've looked around in the trunk and the only thing that looks out of place is 4 little wires on the passenger sides hinge that look like they've been pinched and split partly. Strangely though, that's the only side that sounds like it's working, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The whirring is most likely the pump for the convertible top, it is on the passenger side behind the plastic side panel. If you have not done so, you can check that it has fluid in the reservoir. A picture of the wiring and general area may help. There are a number of microswitches and sensors for the convertible top so if any wiring is broken the folding top module will not sense the correct position and the top will not function correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's a pic of those wires

I'm not sure how to get the trump panel completely out, but here's a pic of what I think is the reservoir. It kinda looks completely empty... Hopefully that doesn't mean anything too bad.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lots of threads on tops.
I have some experience in those.
Lots of switches have to check in before top can proceed. Generally the top starts it's motion, and if there is a problem, aborts the movement.
That wiring break is kinda typical of this breed and can result in what you have described.
Repair that wiring first, take your time and be picky.
As for the reservoir, there is a line on the side for level. Generally unless you have fluid released somewhere, fluid never needs messed with.
Please let us know how things turn out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Blcvkhvrt, two of the most knowledgeable and helpful fellow retractable owners here (boomer and davez26) have already chimed in on this thread (another is Convertme). Hopefully you have some ideas to check out. As davez26 alluded, there are many convertible specific threads on this forum that you'll find useful in your quest. Good luck with your new ride and take care, - Mark

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Fix the wires first. Top up with correct fluid BUT do "not" lower the roof yet!!!!
After filling with fluid, check for fluid leaks. The system is a closed system meaning that if you must add fluid now, i would highly suspect a leak in the system somewhere. There should be NONE! You need to add fluid at this time for two reasons.1 to confirm a leak exists and 2 to determine where the leak is
You still do not want to lower the top. Fix the leak first!!! If you lower the top before you fix the leak you could be in for a very long day!
If the system is still leaking, it cannot lift the top back up. Please do yourself a big favor and make sure that there are no leaks first!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Blcvkhvrt, two of the most knowledgeable and helpful fellow retractable owners here (boomer and davez26) have already chimed in on this thread (another is Convertme). Hopefully you have some ideas to check out. As davez26 alluded, there are many convertible specific threads on this forum that you'll find useful in your quest. Good luck with your new ride and take care, - Mark
Thanks, fingers crossed it's fixed by the time the weather gets nice 🤞

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fix the wires first. Top up with correct fluid BUT do "not" lower the roof yet!!!!
After filling with fluid, check for fluid leaks. The system is a closed system meaning that if you must add fluid now, i would highly suspect a leak in the system somewhere. There should be NONE! You need to add fluid at this time for two reasons.1 to confirm a leak exists and 2 to determine where the leak is
You still do not want to lower the top. Fix the leak first!!! If you lower the top before you fix the leak you could be in for a very long day!
If the system is still leaking, it cannot lift the top back up. Please do yourself a big favor and make sure that there are no leaks first!!
Do you think I should just solder then together at the splits, or should I just cut them clean through and solder in a piece of wire a few inches longer so that there's some slack around the bend that hopefully prevents them from pinching again? Or should I take it to a professional and have them do it?

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my car, I found that there was enough slack to work into the area and offest the splices to avoid a huge 'splice bulge'. The splices were crimp with integrated heat shrink. Then, I carefully confirmed routing, spent some time being sure everything was nice and tight, not flopping and so on.
Then I made sure the other side was not flopping around or open as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As convertme suggested, check for leaks first. The hydraulics is a closed system. If the reservoir is low or empty, then there is a leak in the system. Fix the split or frayed wires. My main hydraulic rams were leaking and had them rebuilt by Top Hydraulics. Put your hand on the underside of the rams and feel for hydraulic fluid. You don't mention about any error messages on the head unit display. Getting the top out of the trunk if you're empty on fluid is a bitch!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As convertme suggested, check for leaks first. The hydraulics is a closed system. If the reservoir is low or empty, then there is a leak in the system. Fix the split or frayed wires. My main hydraulic rams were leaking and had them rebuilt by Top Hydraulics. Put your hand on the underside of the rams and feel for hydraulic fluid. You don't mention about any error messages on the head unit display. Getting the top out of the trunk if you're empty on fluid is a bitch!!
Fixed the wires but I'm not sure I want to try the top until I get the fluid I ordered, haha. But no, no errors on the DIC.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Definitely don't until you have the fluid. It's great that you don't have messages now. The FTC (folding top controller puts out codes that can be read with a Tech II compatible scanner if it comes to that. - Mark

·
Registered
371 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but did you note fluid leakage?
The only pic I see is from the top.
If you look from the side, you should see this, and if so level is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I missed it, but did you note fluid leakage?
The only pic I see is from the top.
If you look from the side, you should see this, and if so level is good.

I was having trouble getting the trim off so I couldn't get a pic from the side, but it was definitely really low/almost empty. I just got the Pentosin CHF 11S in today and I put it in and the top worked! I didn't let it go all the way down at first, I made it go up and down a few times, just to make sure the fluid was getting to where it should be, then I checked for a leak but I don't see any. Put the top all the down no problem, then it came back up no problem. I'm home for the rest of the day, so I'm gonna just leave the top up and check tomorrow morning for leaks again.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I was having trouble getting the trim off so I couldn't get a pic from the side, but it was definitely really low/almost empty. I just got the Pentosin CHF 11S in today and I put it in and the top worked! I didn't let it go all the way down at first, I made it go up and down a few times, just to make sure the fluid was getting to where it should be, then I checked for a leak but I don't see any. Put the top all the down no problem, then it came back up no problem. I'm home for the rest of the day, so I'm gonna just leave the top up and check tomorrow morning for leaks again.
[/QUO
This is not like engine oil. The engine may b burn some or may leak some. There is more than one reason f for the level to be low.
However, the only reason f for the hydraulic fluid to be low is a leak in the system. It could be the slowest of leaks but it must be a leak.
So i would say you got lucky this time but do not be foolish and ignore the cause.
Good luck and i am glad your roof is working!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the plan is to check tomorrow morning so that it's got some time to leak, thats why I put it back up so that it doesn't get stuck in the down if it leaks too much, cause I don't know how bad the leak is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts