Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriend has an 07 g6 gt and the airbag light has come on randomly. i was inquiring if anyone on here could help me out. i found you get a more strait answer on forums than from the dealer. any info would be awesome. thanks Jeremiah

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot i have been struggling with the dealer ever sense we got the car. things have gone wrong ranging from a pop in the front end,wheel bearings, even had to get the paint redone because of clear coat coming off. it was all covered under warranty but it seems like they fix something something else goes wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has happened to me when I clean the inside of my car, and sit down/get up a lot on the passenger seat. I restart my car and it goes away.

While it may be a sensor issue, for my car, at least, It seems to be:

Don't play games with the sensor. Sit down, or get out. lol :]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine randomly comes on as well(07 3.5L Sedan). The times it has come on was with no-one or nothing on the seat. It gets annoying because it comes up randomly and I can't really take it to the dealer because you have to wait or make an appointment. And I won't leave the car running till they can see it(gas=$$).

So is as is for now. It came on randomly with 31k on the car(out of warranty) and has done it maybe 5 times since I had it(March 2010, 6k miles). I have a Pontiac ticket open because I was disputing it and how a car with only 30k on it has this problem and it needs to get checked by the dealer. And its up to GM/Pontiac if they will replace it(doubt it). So its either eat nothing, eat $95 or eat $700+.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting the same intermittent "service airbag" light. It happened a lot yesterday, but I also had several items on the passenger seat. I'm hoping this is the problem.

I'm going to try driving with nothing on the passenger seat and see what happens.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine has done it a few times with my girlfriend in the car. whenever she puts her feet up on the seat is starts doing it, but as soon as she puts her feet back on the floor, it stops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's three lights that I am aware of:
1. Airbag on/off light in the center console.
2. 'Service Airbag' warning in the display in the radio.
3. Red "Airbag" light on the dash in the speedometer.

My problem is #2 and #3.

It didn't turn on during my 20 minute drive last night, but did for a minute when I started the car this morning. It was off for the rest of my drive.

I may also check the connections under the seat which some other threads have said is the main problem point.

Kinda stupid to read from the occupant sensor when the seat belt is not fastened. Everyone puts crap on their passenger seat.

But otherwise happy with my G6 Convertible!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My air bag warning and the tire presure warning has been coming on mostly when I start the engine and after checking multiple things I found my problem, I attached a digital volt meter to the battery cables and watched the voltage when starting the voltage would drop down to 8.5 volts for an instant after the engine would start it took a few seconds for the alt to put out and bring the voltage at the battery to 13.8 volts. During the time of low voltage is when the engine management computer is doing a systems check it reads the low voltage at the airbag warning and the tire pressure warning and reads a failure fault after the engine is started the error wont clear unless the engine is shutdown and restarted and reads more voltage from the battery due to a quick surface charge. On suspecting this I took my car to napa auto and used the electronic battery tester, this kind of tester reads what is going on in the battery a regular load tester will not show the exact condition of the battery
in addition I did a voltage ripple test just to make sure the alt was not causing a problem. The tester showed my battery was fully charged but was only putting out 280 cca's which is less than half of the 600cca's it was rated for, I also suspected the battery because the starter did not seem to be spinning the engine as fast as it did when new, I installed a new battery and the problem has gone away.
I hope anyone that is having warning light problems this might give you a place to start. I still have the passenger side seat switch problem for the pass air bag that many are having problems with I make my wife bounce around on the seat until it goes on and I will be looking at it to see if there is a way to bypass the switch and have the pass air bags on all of the time with it being just the wife and I we don't have to worry about little kids sitting there.

My g6 is a 2008 gt with the 3.5

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I still have the passenger side seat switch problem for the pass air bag that many are having problems with I make my wife bounce around on the seat until it goes on and I will be looking at it to see if there is a way to bypass the switch and have the pass air bags on all of the time with it being just the wife and I we don't have to worry about little kids sitting there.
in the old days, bypassing the PPS sensor was possible because it was analog but now they're part of the digital communication system (GMLAN in your case). i'm not aware of any way to bypass the current designs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
in the old days, bypassing the PPS sensor was possible because it was analog but now they're part of the digital communication system (GMLAN in your case). i'm not aware of any way to bypass the current designs.
I was wondering if you could replace the sensor with a resistor and be done with it. The airbag would always be on, but truthfully, an airbag is like a loaded gun - you should always assume it is on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.