Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the tips and stuff on the G6, i had reset it for each trip and again before this trip. My dad passed away late last week from his battle with cancer and i've driven it a lot lately. Currently it's giving me 25mpg, mainly interstate driving but i do drive about 80mph on the interstate and it's pretty hilly here in Tenn. I'm happy with it overall, no real complaints just curious about what other owners are getting for fuel milage.
Don

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
daustin i live near nashville clarskville tn in springfield and i get bout 28mpg interstate at 80mph so your prob doing good for that speed. other than that i think that your not doing bad at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Justin,

I was just wondering if my milage was normal. After resetting the trip/milage with my wife driving to/from work in Atlanta traffic it's getting 25mpg in stop/go and around 28 on the highway. About the same as yours, so i'm pretty happy with that.
Thanks again.
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I just bought an 08 G6 4 cylinder with 19k miles on it. I picked it up for a song and was happy to get the 4 banger so I would get better gas mileage.

Like you, I took a long trip to try it out and see what kind of great mpg i could get. I was very disappointed. I only got about 26-28 mpg on the trip. It was a 550 mile trip from Dallas to mid Missouri. The road is pretty flat and I was going between 75-80 mph the whole way. It became very clear that my issue was with how fast I was going. Any time I hit a stretch of construction and was forced to go 55-65 for a while, my mpg shot way up into the mid 30's on the instant readout. Even 70 mph and in was in the low 30's. So it doesn't really do well at 80 MPH. I looked up the gearing or axle ratio and sure enough, that is the problem. It has the 3.91 gear in it. That's to make it feel quite peppy and sporty, but really hurts when you want to drive it at fast interstate speeds. In 09, the 4 cyl gets the 6 speed automatic with the lower gear ratio instead of the 4 speed auto and that really helps bring the rpm's down and the mpg up.

Also interestingly I was comparing this with some of my past cars. One of them was a 2000 Buick park avenue with the 3.8L v6. No matter how I drove that thing on the highway or how fast, I could always get 28-30 mpg. Now I have a much smaller car with a much smaller engine with worse gas mileage on the highway! This is quite upsetting to me.

The only good news that I can take out of this is that I will rarely be taking road trips in this. It will usually be driven around town in stop and go traffic. This is where I'm hoping that the 4 cyl will make good mpgs.

How has everybody else done with their 4 cyl around town? Are you able to get the 22 mpg that the EPA window sticker shows? I'd really appreciate some of your observations!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've about decided that to get really good milage out of a 2.5 G6 you have to drive 70 or 65 on the interstate. I've had the same experience as yours, with about the same milage at the same speeds. In the city, my wife drives it in stop/go about 60 miles a day and we are getting about 24-25 in the Atlanta traffic. Not unhappy with that, but the milage at 80mph is about the same. LOL
Good luck
Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Humm that's interesting as that's not my experience. With the hills and mountains here in N. Ga the cruise hits the throttle pretty hard going up and coasts going down. I can utilize the extra speed i get going down to reduce the throttle going up and get better milage not using the cruise.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree. When I leave it on cruise it will shift to third at the slightest sign of a hill and hold 3rd much longer than is needed. If I drive it without cruise, I can play the hills just as you described and get much better mileage.

BTW, I've been driving it around town for about a week now and am pretty happy with it. In an 80 city, 20 percent hwy mix I'm getting about 21 mpg. Not too shabby. I'm also growing to like the looks of the car more and more. I've noticed quite a few nice curves and started to appreciate how nice it looks to have the wheels pushed so far to the corners. Very nice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We are pretty happy with our '07, we got it with 17K miles for a about $11,500+tag/title. My wife drives it 90% of the time, we took a couple of trips of 250 miles and it drives pretty nice. I'm going to look at a couple of things to maybe improve milage, some of these GM's have a very restrictive "snorkle" which feeds the airbox to resuce noise. I've removed these in the past and got 1-2mpg better. When i have time, i'll look and see if this car has that and remove the thing. lol
Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I had my 06 G6 I didn't have cruise control at all and when I drove to school I was getting 30-31 mpg over 170 miles doing about 75. However with my 08 G6 (Yes I got a new one, the pics will be up soon) when I set the cruise for 75 I am only getting 28 mpg. I'm not sure if it is because I am not running amsoil in it or because it only has 10.5K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was averaging about 23.5-25.5 mpg at 70-75 mph, I travel 60 mile a day to work, with in town in the evening. When I backed off the gas to 60 MPH the gas mileage shot up to 30-31 mpg. The best I have ever gotten is 33 mpg. When I drive around town I try to keep the rpm below 2500 and this will keep the in town gas mileage at 28. Has anyone looked into changing th e axle ratio of there car to increase the gas mileage? I see that there are other ratios available. No idea whats involved in doing this. What's this snorkel that you are referring to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
The snorkles GM likes to use are located in the inner fenderwell, i've removed 4 or 5 of the things thus far from various GM cars/trucks i've had. I haven't had time to pull the airbox and see if there's one stuffed down there yet on the G6 but i'll bet there's one there. It keeps the "grandpas" happy as it quiets down the intake roar at full throttle. I like better milage personally, and a little more noise when i stomp on it dosen't bother me at all. :D I pulled one off my '03 2.2 cavilier, i swear it necked down to about 1" x 2" and was shaped like a double S. Most restrictive thing i've ever seen on an intake. :eek: Thing was a b*tch to get out as well, had to pull the entire fenderwell and airbox off. Now the cavi airbox opens into a nice 3" or so opening and 1mpg better too. More effecient engine operation.
Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive an '07 G6 4cy Sedan with 37,000k

I do mostly local driving in upstate NY (many hills and stop and go) and I average between 21-23 mpg. Took it on a few highway trips to Pittsburgh and Connecticut this summer and got around 29-30.

·
12 Posts
We have a 2007 G6 GT. This is the same 3.5L V6 as the "V6" model, but the transaxle has a slightly different ratio (more power/torque to the wheels). We drove both models and found the GT to be more responsive and handled better.
We knew it would not get anywhere near the EPA hwy number, but though it would be closer to the middle.
Our average is about 22-23 combined city/hwy. Straight highway with 4 passengers and a trunk full of our daughter's college stuff, we've gotten as high as 28. The last two trips were 26. My wife and I are a bit heavy of foot so I don't doubt that other GT owners get better numbers. I find the trip computer to be fairly close most of the time; 1 to 1.5 mpg +/- when compared to the old fashioned tank to tank mathematical comparisons.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
i have a 2008 GT and i'm only getting 20 MPG hwy. WHATS WRONG??????

did you reset the computer before leaving for your load trip? sticker on the 09 2.4 is 22/33. Remeber thats a average if your hard or softer you can get more or less.

-Chris Byers

When you looked at the MPG reading from the screen did you reset it before you left? I have the 2.4L in my 6 and when I do 80 I manage about 28 MPG. When I go 75 I get about 30 MPG and when I do 70 I get about 32-33 MPG. I have 35K miles on mine though

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my 06 GT coupe, I get 21-22 daily driving. I used to get about 25 but have seen it drop lately. I took a trip from Philly to Tennessee and got 32 while doing 70-80 the entire way.

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
I have a 2008 GT with almost 24,000 miles (i bought it used with 17,000 about 7 months ago) and i get about 20 mpg on the highway. But i do have somewhat of a lead foot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 G6

Hey, I have a 2008 2.4 G6 with 29,000 (I've had it about 3 weeks), and I live in the Kennesaw/Atlanta Area. In the 50 - 60 miles I drive a day when I drive interstate (the majority of the miles) I'm getting between around 24 MPG. When I drive regular street I get between 20 - 22. I tend to go about 10 miles over the speed limit, and stay under 4k RPMs unless I desperately need to go faster.

Anyway, it's definetly not steller, but I haven't taken it on any long trips. My cousin who has a Cobalt (with the same engine as my G6, his is also a 2008) went from Athens to Virginia on a filling up once along the way, so I have a feeling it'll be a great trip car, but not a traffic car.

- Christiaan

21 - 40 of 58 Posts