Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
On ours, it seems that it has picked up more mpg's as the miles start to accumulate. It now gets better milage (at 30,000 miles) than it did at 17,000 miles. Maybe took some time for it to really breakin, not sure as nothing has changed with it. It has picked up about 2mpg in both city and highway driving, interesting.
Don

·
Registered
110 Posts
27 could be incorrect because most fans now days are electric. Not pertaining even to drag or draw on the engine by use of pullies off the engine. Comprende?

·
Midnight Hiker
41 Posts
Performed my own little test this week. Just me in the car driving the same route...Its a 2009 with 3.5 v6 coupe and about 3500 miles on the odometer

One morning drove the 40 miles to work.
Set cruise control at 64 and got average 37.5 MPG for the trip

Next morning drove the same 40 miles.
Set cruise at 79 and got average 24 MPG for the trip.

Its amazing how unefficient this car becomes at higher speeds...Im going to see if I can break 38 MPG...I will try setting the cruise at 60

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have an '08 GT with the 3.5L V6 i get about 24 in town (except for on friday nights its more like 14 haha:D) and on the highway with cruise at 65 i get 41 and at 75 i get 34mpg. i recently ran some injector cleaner thru the system a couple fill ups ago and gained a few MPGs from what i had been getting and these are the new #s. before i would get about 29-30 on the highway at 75. even at 108mph i still get 25MPG:D

·
Registered
555 Posts
I avg between 26 and 30 depending on how much highway drive i do. Just my commute to work and back is about 90% highway/10%town.

·
Registered
2 Posts
#30 Is Dangerous

#30 IS DANGEROUS
I cringed when I read
"30. During cold weather watch for icicles frozen to car frame. Up to 100 lbs. can be quickly accumulated! Unremoved snow and ice cause tremendous wind resistance. Warm water thrown on (or hosed on) will eliminate it fast."

For everybody who reads that list please pay attention to the words car frame! If you put warm water on your windshield you will shatter it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just get a remote start. Solves the problem. Python 990. Got it. Love it. It's now Python 991 but you'll love it too.

And right now my GT get 21 mpg. 05 with about 50lbs of added custom sub/amps box. Maybe even more.

White G6 GT, 17" Chromies, 5% Tint all around, Tinted Headlights and Tailights, LED Reverse Lights, 2 Kicker L7's in custom Box, Kicker 15001, 0 Gauge Kicker Dual Amp Wiring Kit, 40 Farad Tsunami Cap, 300 ANL Fuse holder, MET 993303, Kenwood Xcelon CD Player KDC-X889(want to sell, message me your price Like NEW), Python 990, Remote Start, 2 Blue Notification LEDS in Pillars, 1 mile range, Window Mods, Back-up Battery, and extra proxy sensor.

Being shipped to my house, Xenon Dual Halos 6000K Black.

·
Registered
4 Posts
07 GT Convertible Mileage

I came here looking to see if the mileage I got today was typical for the 07 GT (3.5L of course) hard-top convertible we just bought a couple weeks ago. It's got 69K and change on the odometer and a mysterious K&N sticker on the air cleaner box. There's no evidence of any cold air intake that I've ever seen although the snorkel is hidden under the box and wheel cowl. Perhaps there's an aftermarket snorkel and filter? Was that made for the G6 3.5L? Couldn't find it on the K&N website anyway...

It's black with every available option (at least as far as I've been able to find) except the adjustable pedals and stability control, so it's likely to be a little heavier than most coupes between the options, top and my fat ass (240lb and growing!).

Anyway I was coming home from work, 53 miles away door-to-door and realized I'd left my debit card at home and had no cash on me. The low fuel indicator had just come on pulling into the parking lot on the way to work and the gauge read a needles-width above E. I called my wife and told her to leave home when I left work and to bring a small can of fuel.

I like to know exactly what the fuel reserve on all of my vehicles REALLY is -- you never know when such knowledge will keep you from worrying yourself to death in an emergency. I know it's not good to run a car completely out but that's the idea -- do it exactly ONCE.

After I pulled onto I-55 N at Towanda, IL (exit 171). I reset the DIC MPG. Traffic was light, I stuck in the right lane except for hazards, there was no wind to speak of (2-3MPG from the NW -- transverse), 72F and nothing but my backpack (15 lbs.), can of Diet Dr. Pepper and a few extra papers in the glove box in addition to OEM weight. Tank on reserve w/ light solid, well worn Tiger Paw 225/50-R18 at 44 PSI all around. Body has no visible deviations from stock aerodynamics including belly profile. Fuel composition is iffy at best. I run 87 octane GasBuddy-special but never ran this car so close to empty before. I'll have to completely run it dry to be sure.

Between mile marker 171 and exit 197, with the cruise exactly on 65, air-conditioning off, blower on 2 and Monsoon on 11 (Chicago's Greatest Hits 1982–1989 ;-) I averaged exactly 37 MPG to the exit ramp. I took this photo after pulling off at the Shell station a few hundred linear yards and one very long stoplight from I-55.

Is this normal (the mileage -- not my pedantic attention to detail ;) or do I need to start sniffing around the engine starting with the snorkel-air cleaner assembly for further aftermarket clues? Let's just say that I'm very surprised that this car was so far (9 MPG) underrated by the EPA and/or GM. Are CAFE standards that tough?

Needless to say I am going to try to measure this out by odometer and mile marker miles per pump gallon as soon as I devise a properly error minimizing test methodology.

My secondary burning question now is -- if I measure out exactly 1 gallon of gas from the pump I typically use into my small gas can, put it in my trunk and drive from home towards work under similar conditions until I feel the engine start to cut out, pull over, refuel from the can in the trunk and drive until I feel the engine cut again and then compare the DIC MPG to the measured MPG will it be influenced by 1) possible EGR anomalies from sucking air from the tank, 2) DIC computer edge conditions and/or 3) subtle differences in the route?

For all of you hooligans smirking 'cause I'm out of gas at this point -- remember my wife loves to go to Bloomington for the mall and Chinese food and will participate in most of my tomfoolery as long as she can spend beyond her allowance without me pitching a fit. Also remember that I would not have purchased this particular vehicle except that she could not be removed from it at the dealership while I was shopping for sensible 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited deals to get 40 MPG (CAFE HWY).

SO this whole thing is to make me feel better about being less sensible. I got this as MY car since my wife loved it. It's "cute". It's a "convertible". It was only 11K. Whatever. She loves her Enclave too. Do I drive IT to work? No.

I pitched a fit over the 28 MPG and the actual 38 miles I drive to work on perfect cruise controlled interstate that was to be the direct subject of this experiment and not the 15 miles of 45-55 MPH country roads and city suffocation. It was then (now) I realized... I already bought this car and it's pretty economical by my own measurement. About 33% more economical if driven to that end, in fact. Certainly more economical than the Enclave. Was cheap (enough). We have the Enclave for family outings. She has her "cute convertible". Etc, ad nauseum…

I am 43 years old and make a very healthy 6 figures, live in the Midwest and have a 16 year old daughter. I didn't want a Hyundai like I thought I did. My wife was closer to the mark. This car is kinda fun and I'm finding I really like the Aussie body feel. And I don't need to be THAT economical. Hell between the two of them they'll spend more of my money on gas than I do. And no, my wife does not work (outside our home;)

Hell I don't need to be anything but the boss.

I'm shopping a G8 GXP right now. I think it's more my style.

(BTW, for those wondering, this was intended to be humorous ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
07 2.4L Auto

Been getting 25-27 on a mix of driving. Haven't taken a straight highway trip yet. All stock, just had a tune up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I came here looking to see if the mileage I got today was typical for the 07 GT (3.5L of course) hard-top convertible we just bought a couple weeks ago. It's got 69K and change on the odometer and a mysterious K&N sticker on the air cleaner box. There's no evidence of any cold air intake that I've ever seen although the snorkel is hidden under the box and wheel cowl. Perhaps there's an aftermarket snorkel and filter? Was that made for the G6 3.5L? Couldn't find it on the K&N website anyway...

It's black with every available option (at least as far as I've been able to find) except the adjustable pedals and stability control, so it's likely to be a little heavier than most coupes between the options, top and my fat ass (240lb and growing!).

Anyway I was coming home from work, 53 miles away door-to-door and realized I'd left my debit card at home and had no cash on me. The low fuel indicator had just come on pulling into the parking lot on the way to work and the gauge read a needles-width above E. I called my wife and told her to leave home when I left work and to bring a small can of fuel.

I like to know exactly what the fuel reserve on all of my vehicles REALLY is -- you never know when such knowledge will keep you from worrying yourself to death in an emergency. I know it's not good to run a car completely out but that's the idea -- do it exactly ONCE.

After I pulled onto I-55 N at Towanda, IL (exit 171). I reset the DIC MPG. Traffic was light, I stuck in the right lane except for hazards, there was no wind to speak of (2-3MPG from the NW -- transverse), 72F and nothing but my backpack (15 lbs.), can of Diet Dr. Pepper and a few extra papers in the glove box in addition to OEM weight. Tank on reserve w/ light solid, well worn Tiger Paw 225/50-R18 at 44 PSI all around. Body has no visible deviations from stock aerodynamics including belly profile. Fuel composition is iffy at best. I run 87 octane GasBuddy-special but never ran this car so close to empty before. I'll have to completely run it dry to be sure.

Between mile marker 171 and exit 197, with the cruise exactly on 65, air-conditioning off, blower on 2 and Monsoon on 11 (Chicago's Greatest Hits 1982–1989 ;-) I averaged exactly 37 MPG to the exit ramp. I took this photo after pulling off at the Shell station a few hundred linear yards and one very long stoplight from I-55.

Is this normal (the mileage -- not my pedantic attention to detail ;) or do I need to start sniffing around the engine starting with the snorkel-air cleaner assembly for further aftermarket clues? Let's just say that I'm very surprised that this car was so far (9 MPG) underrated by the EPA and/or GM. Are CAFE standards that tough?

Needless to say I am going to try to measure this out by odometer and mile marker miles per pump gallon as soon as I devise a properly error minimizing test methodology.

My secondary burning question now is -- if I measure out exactly 1 gallon of gas from the pump I typically use into my small gas can, put it in my trunk and drive from home towards work under similar conditions until I feel the engine start to cut out, pull over, refuel from the can in the trunk and drive until I feel the engine cut again and then compare the DIC MPG to the measured MPG will it be influenced by 1) possible EGR anomalies from sucking air from the tank, 2) DIC computer edge conditions and/or 3) subtle differences in the route?

For all of you hooligans smirking 'cause I'm out of gas at this point -- remember my wife loves to go to Bloomington for the mall and Chinese food and will participate in most of my tomfoolery as long as she can spend beyond her allowance without me pitching a fit. Also remember that I would not have purchased this particular vehicle except that she could not be removed from it at the dealership while I was shopping for sensible 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited deals to get 40 MPG (CAFE HWY).

SO this whole thing is to make me feel better about being less sensible. I got this as MY car since my wife loved it. It's "cute". It's a "convertible". It was only 11K. Whatever. She loves her Enclave too. Do I drive IT to work? No.

I pitched a fit over the 28 MPG and the actual 38 miles I drive to work on perfect cruise controlled interstate that was to be the direct subject of this experiment and not the 15 miles of 45-55 MPH country roads and city suffocation. It was then (now) I realized... I already bought this car and it's pretty economical by my own measurement. About 33% more economical if driven to that end, in fact. Certainly more economical than the Enclave. Was cheap (enough). We have the Enclave for family outings. She has her "cute convertible". Etc, ad nauseum…

I am 43 years old and make a very healthy 6 figures, live in the Midwest and have a 16 year old daughter. I didn't want a Hyundai like I thought I did. My wife was closer to the mark. This car is kinda fun and I'm finding I really like the Aussie body feel. And I don't need to be THAT economical. Hell between the two of them they'll spend more of my money on gas than I do. And no, my wife does not work (outside our home;)

Hell I don't need to be anything but the boss.

I'm shopping a G8 GXP right now. I think it's more my style.

(BTW, for those wondering, this was intended to be humorous ;-)

ONE huge rambling post and you never hear from the guy again!! LOL!!

Setting the cruise on my 2007 GT Convert with the 3.5 to 65MPH gets me about 33MPG......set at 70 gets about 31MPG, 12,000 miles on the car.
More than 70 it dips in the high 20's MPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ONE huge rambling post and you never hear from the guy again!! LOL!!

Setting the cruise on my 2007 GT Convert with the 3.5 to 65MPH gets me about 33MPG......set at 70 gets about 31MPG, 12,000 miles on the car.
More than 70 it dips in the high 20's MPG.
I'm still here ;) I just don't post much because I search and get most of the info I need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm still here ;) I just don't post much because I search and get most of the info I need.
Boy that was fast!! :D

So....on my way home from work tonight I set the cruise to 60MPH and cruised home in the right lane with the top down on this 80 plus degree So Cal night while jamming to JOE SATRIANI with the MONSOON cranked up!!

Setting the cruise to 60 netted me 35.8 MPG....pretty good for a 220HP V-6!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Boy that was fast!! :D

So....on my way home from work tonight I set the cruise to 60MPH and cruised home in the right lane with the top down on this 80 plus degree So Cal night while jamming to JOE SATRIANI with the MONSOON cranked up!!

Setting the cruise to 60 netted me 35.8 MPG....pretty good for a 220HP V-6!
NICE. How the hell does this variation happen? I mean I get like +/- 30% and that's beyond the error in air pressure density, fuel mix, etc. The only thing that could cause that is sample error. I'm thinking that maybe when we both go home from work it could be slightly net downhill. The test would be to do the same route backwards in similar conditions and see if the mean variation is reciprocal.

Which Joe? Hope it was Flying in a Blue Dream album. Words kinda get in the way of driving ;) I think the handling of this car is underrated. It may just be that it, like a lot of other good things like high end audio equipment, the FEEL you get is more important than the numbers. The only one that's consistently bothered me is the DIC avg econ. Oh, and are you getting any resonation (buzz) in the door panels on the Monsoon speakers? It's just certain bass frequencies and at a particular volume.

·
Registered
113 Posts
NICE. How the hell does this variation happen? I mean I get like +/- 30% and that's beyond the error in air pressure density, fuel mix, etc. The only thing that could cause that is sample error. I'm thinking that maybe when we both go home from work it could be slightly net downhill. The test would be to do the same route backwards in similar conditions and see if the mean variation is reciprocal.

Which Joe? Hope it was Flying in a Blue Dream album. Words kinda get in the way of driving ;) I think the handling of this car is underrated. It may just be that it, like a lot of other good things like high end audio equipment, the FEEL you get is more important than the numbers. The only one that's consistently bothered me is the DIC avg econ. Oh, and are you getting any resonation (buzz) in the door panels on the Monsoon speakers? It's just certain bass frequencies and at a particular volume.
The 35.8 I achieved was on a straight freeway, no hills....and again at 60mph.

I like the "Flying in a Blue Dream" CD and "The Extremist" CD
I like Satriani's voice, it's not strong but he carry's a tune well.....he should sing more.
Off "Flying in a Blue Dream" I like the tunes "Big Bad Moon" and "Ride" he songs on both.

No buzz in the door panels even when blasting the Monsoon one or two bars from max volume! I don't have the Bass very high at that volume though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not Sure on MPG

I've only had the car for a little over a week and have never driven it on the freeway. So far I put about 100 miles on it all city driving and averaging 18.4 MPG so far. Car Needs Sparks Plugs and the oil / filter change. Has 92000 Miles on it. :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
G6 Mileage

Here's an update after I've completed a bunch of work to the car. It's averaging 20.6 MPG
with average speed of 24 MPH. I put about 750 miles on the car since I purchased it. Still haven't taken it out on a road trip yet. But soon going on a 300 mile run. I'll post the mileage after the run. 2007 GT 3.9L AT Hardtop convertible.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts