Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im posting this for an issue related to the wheels on my mom G6. Her car has less than 30k miles on it, see very little winter driving at all, but the tires dont hold air. It has been back to the dealership many time to remount the tires and this last time the dealership told her that the aluminum is corroding away along the bead edge and will probably never hold air. My dad called GM and they basically told him that it was his problem to deal with. Anyway has anyone else have any issues with wheel corrosion?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Im posting this for an issue related to the wheels on my mom G6. Her car has less than 30k miles on it, see very little winter driving at all, but the tires dont hold air. It has been back to the dealership many time to remount the tires and this last time the dealership told her that the aluminum is corroding away along the bead edge and will probably never hold air. My dad called GM and they basically told him that it was his problem to deal with. Anyway has anyone else have any issues with wheel corrosion?
How old are the tires?
Are they "WalMart" tires?
Are they stock rims?

http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/ProFacts/Aluminum-Alloys.aspx

·
Registered
73 Posts
My fronts don't hold air very well either, stock 5 spoke 18"s with 30K on the car. That is why I decided to buy new rims since the tires need to be replaced. I didn't want to put nice new tires on rims that are scuffed up leaking already.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Would this be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? It's not like the aluminum corroding is the owners fault, but how the rim was manufactured.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All aluminum rims corrode. No it's not covered under warranty. Find a shop that will "grind" the lip of the rim. Some shops will only put a liquid bead sealer on, for safety reasons. I've been told discount tire doesn't grind anymore. The dust created is highly toxic. However, if you find a shop that will sand them down, they will be smooth as new. But the corrosion will come back in a year or 2. There's no way around it! (I am the manager at Sam's Club tire dept)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts