Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A used car dealership in my hometown has an 07 Pontiac G6 with 8,500 miles on it. Story is that "he is selling it for a friend" and not making a dime. The friend got the car from his deceased mother-in-law's estate.....he thinks. The dealer started the car up for me, and it really does look brand spanking new inside. It was beautiful. He ran something like "Auto Trader" or something to show me no problems with mileage, ownership, etc. (He would not pay for a "carfax").

My question is, can the car be hurt in any way from sitting, not running for several years. I guess the deceased mother in law purchased the car in 08?, drove it very little, and it sat in the garage mostly.

Dealer is asking $6,500 firm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
He probably ran an "Autocheck". Very similar to Carfax, and about as reliable.
The only problem with letting a car sit is that that some of the rubber seals can deteriorate, and the gas in the tank can turn to sludge.
Unless the oil is all sparkly clear, I would get it changed, and fill up the tank with fresh gas, and maybe a bottle of Dri-gas or similar.
The tires are probably in need of a replacement, since they're ten years old. Maybe the coolant. (It probably uses Dexcool.)
The worst that will likely happen is that the fuel pump (located in the tank) will fail. And THAT'S not even certain.
That sounds like a decent price, although it's probably not worth that much, according to KBB. If you're going to buy it to keep and drive, and not to flip, the value is less of a consideration. If it checks out, and you love the car, go for it.
(I paid $14K for a 41,000 mile 2010 G6 GT, in 2013, so I get it.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts