Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Pontiac g6. I have replaced the alternator and the starter, checked and double checked all fuses and relays, also checked the output voltage on the battery. My car still won't crank. The relays click but nothing happens with the starter. Does anyone know anything that could help?

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Going on what information you gave in the post IMO you need to remove the cables from the battery and clean the terminals and battery posts. In addition, inspect both cables for corrosion. In some cases, corrosion can happen under the cables protective covering and go unnoticed. If you suspect that's happened peel back some of the covering to inspect, if found replace the cable. Also, do this at your own risk as you can fry the ECM or hurt yourself, jump the starter relay in the fuse block at pins 30 and 87 just to see if starter is good. You did bench test the new starter before installing it, right? If no crank suspect the battery, connections, or starter. If starter cranks the battery, fuses, and relays work. Clean the battery terminals first before anything else.

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G6 GXP
1 Posts
The problem lies in the engine fuse box under the hood on the driver's side next to the battery. Inside the fuse box is a network of copper wiring that controls the circuits.

What is happening is when the engine compartment gets hot and heats up the fuse box, there is one of the copper wires with a hair line crack in it and the circuit loses its connection when the wire heats up. Once the car is stopped and it sits for 30 minutes to an hour, the wire cools down and reconnects itself.

I just went through this on our 09 GXP. I had to order another one from a salvage yard online and provide my VIN number and I replaced the fuse box. My car now starts and runs fine. The fuse box is not available from GM. It has been discontinued.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The problem lies in the engine fuse box under the hood on the driver's side next to the battery. Inside the fuse box is a network of copper wiring that controls the circuits.

What is happening is when the engine compartment gets hot and heats up the fuse box, there is one of the copper wires with a hair line crack in it and the circuit loses its connection when the wire heats up. Once the car is stopped and it sits for 30 minutes to an hour, the wire cools down and reconnects itself.

I just went through this on our 09 GXP. I had to order another one from a salvage yard online and provide my VIN number and I replaced the fuse box. My car now starts and runs fine. The fuse box is not available from GM. It has been discontinued.
Wow! That's really good to know! Thank you for the heads up! - Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts