Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
newcomer
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, it's been 1 year now since I had my GXP.. I'm getting really tired looking around for performance upgrades for my gxp.. Other than intake, exhaust (which i've changed two times), Tune, and lowering kit, I basically can't find anything else..

Any suggestion? anyone here have a 3.6 L that's upgraded more than just above? I would go with STS turbo if my car is not new.. I know it would give my engine more stress anyways.. So, suggestions other than STS turbo please..

I'm desperate for more power by the way..

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was in the process of making a intake runner extension but it's too much trouble. Had problems with stock intake valley pan.

One thing I an going to do is gasket match the intake manifold to the cylinder head.

Another thing I am going to try is a simple port of the intake runner to cylinder head inlet. Yes I will do this while the heads are on the engine. I will block them off with a plug.

Going to try some puddy to match the runners together.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
There is not much out there for the GTP with the 3.9 either (had it since brand new in 06). I had a custom exhaust made with magnaflow mufflers and tips that I ordered in, made my own intake with spectre tubing and filter from Autozone, only other performance addition was a JET Stage 2 Module flash program.

·
newcomer
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get headers, more power and a great sound.
I can't find any headers for 3.6.. I only saw some for the 3.5 and I don't think they will fit..

·
newcomer
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the process of making a intake runner extension but it's too much trouble. Had problems with stock intake valley pan.

One thing I an going to do is gasket match the intake manifold to the cylinder head.

Another thing I am going to try is a simple port of the intake runner to cylinder head inlet. Yes I will do this while the heads are on the engine. I will block them off with a plug.

Going to try some puddy to match the runners together.
gasket match? you mean port and polish cylinder head and intake manifold?

I've thought about it.. thinking to do it really soon but don't know how hard it would be..haha..I read on the other thread that someone did this already.. apparently it is a quite a bit of a job.. if some one posts a full video on how to do it right, then Ill do it right away too..

·
Registered
286 Posts
gasket match? you mean port and polish cylinder head and intake manifold?

I've thought about it.. thinking to do it really soon but don't know how hard it would be..haha..I read on the other thread that someone did this already.. apparently it is a quite a bit of a job.. if some one posts a full video on how to do it right, then Ill do it right away too..
No, gasket matching is just what it says. Trimming the intake manifold gasket so it does not interfere with air flow. More often than not the gaskets are oversize and cover part of the intake runner. So it is not the same as port an polish. Relatively simple to do if one can remove an intake manifold.

The other thing I was talking about was simply making sure that the runners line up perfectly with no overlap. This is not port and polish either.

To port and polish heads you need to remove the head and take it the valves out. You will need a flow bench to measure the flow before you begin (to see exactly what the flow is in the runner, measured in CFM vs velosity) and then start removing material to optimize the max flow through the runner. This is tricky to do, slight changes can drastically effect the flow characteristics of the cylinder head and may not be beneficial. Polishing is not very beneficial unless you are running wide open throttle all the time. Some roughness in the runners will enhance the mixture of air and fuel and give better torque.

Porting if done correctly can drastically enhance the power and power band of an engine. Polishing if done correctly will do the same if you have the air flow velocity and good fuel air mixture and fuel vaporization.

·
Gxp coupe owner
6 Posts
Hey this is a reply to black gxp I live in chilliwack got a 08 gunmetal gray gxp coupe and same thing as you getting pissed off that there are no preformance parts for the gxp the only other thing that I found is a chip for computer and gasket extender for the throttle body to make the air more turbulent when it goes in to the intake that's it even wrote k&n to see if they'll manufacture something for the 3.6 vvt engine lets see what happens did the Exaust and a k&n filter that's all I can do for now till warranty expires

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everybody obviously new here. I have an 09 G^ GXP and i absolutely love it. have had grand ams before but his car is crazy. Im looking ,like everyone else, the best CAI to install since there arent many options as well as any info on performance chips and programmers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts